Should i wait awhile?

Forum: Potty Training

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Potty Training LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Ambie213's Avatar Plus Size Mommies co-host
HI all,
I think I've posted in here once or twice before. DS is going to be 2 tomorrow and when he was 1, I started him sitting on the potty regularly and we did well with it for about 4 months or so... we went on vaca to FL and didn't do anything with it and just never got back into things... Plus, he poo'd on the potty and totally freaked and was scared to even go near it.
Since he's turning 2 and we now have another on the way, I thought I'd try the potty again. However, he has absolutely NO interest whatsoever! I ask if he wants to sit on the potty and he says no and runs away. I tell him it's time to sit on the potty and he cries so hard, especially if you pick him up and just sit him on it. I don't know if he's still scared (from teh poo thing) or maybe he's still too young...
He doesn't tell me when he's peed or poo'd, but if I'm changing him then he'll tell me either "I peed" or "I pooped". We just started back using cloth (thought maybe the feeling the wetness may want him to train). The only time he'll actually tell me that he's wet is if he soaks through during the night (we use sposies at night)...
I'm just wondering if I should wait awhile again or if I should really try to p ush it; I don't want to traumatize him, though so that he REALLY doesn't want to use the potty. He LOVES stickers, so I thought that might be an incentive/reward, but I just don't know. thoughts? Suggestions? Advice? Thanks so much Mama's!

Thank you Vicki... for my siggie!

January 11th, 2011, 08:17 AM
challowell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If he loves stickers put a chart in the bathroom and he can put 1 sticker on it for pee and 2 stickers for poop.
January 20th, 2011, 05:42 AM
I could have written your exact post! One of my girls did the same thing in August (she was just over 2 years old then), and she would not sit on the potty again until November!! I didn't push her at all, but one day she decided on her own to sit on it! She seemed excited about all of the attention she got, so I decided to go full force with the potty training. She is doing great with #1, but #2 she either asks for a pull-up or goes in her panties. She has "accidentally" pooped on the potty a couple of times, and it terrifies her still. And at times, she doesn't want to even pee on it b/c I think she's afraid that poop will come out. Sigh...

In summary, I would wait. Wait until he's showing more interest. I've done a lot of reading and internet searching and that seems to be the consensus among parents. I'm not pushing my DD to go #2 b/c they can become constipated and that, to me, would be more stressful.

I read the book: Potty Train Your Child in Just One Day: Proven Secrets of the Potty Pro. While it didn't really take one day, it did help tremendously. There are some great tips and checklists in the book, but it really does not address many problems (like fear of pooping).

Good luck!
January 22nd, 2011, 11:08 AM
Brighteyed & Caffeinated
Send a message via MSN to mommy2olliebeans
I went through the exact same thing with Jasmine last July, and we ended up stopping our PT for a while.

I tried again in December and she has now been trained for about 5 or 6 weeks; we are ready to try for overnights now as she is staying dry through the night i'm pretty sure.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search