potty trained during nighttime?

Forum: Potty Training

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Potty Training LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 27th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Mama Chemist 73's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi all. This is my first post here. Thought I'd ask you all a question. My son will be 3 the end of next month. We are potty trained during the day. He wears big boy underwear and both pees and poops in the toilet (although lately, he's been peeing outside and even pooped a couple of times in the grass ). Anyway, he wears a nighttime diaper/pull up overnight. For the most part, they are soaked in the morning along with his clothes and sometimes his bed. We try to restrict his drinking in the evening, but most of the time forget in the chaos of the other kids. Any tips on getting him to stay dry through the night?

My Ovulation Chart
April 29th, 2011, 01:17 PM
♥RainyLane's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ♥RainyLane Send a message via MSN to ♥RainyLane Send a message via Yahoo to ♥RainyLane
I don't know how much this applies to older children but I figured I'd reply anyway....

When my oldest was day trained the night training kind of took care of itself. However, he still wakes up in the middle of the night needing to go. We take him and put him on the toilet in the dark and put him back in bed. Sometimes when i go to bed (a few hours after he went down) I will take him to the bathroom. Often times he doesn't even wake up. This will often prevent him from waking up (to pee, he still wakes up a lot from night terrors *sigh*).

I haven't looked into this for toddlers, but I know it is this way for babies... and me as an adult. I can only assume it is probably the same for toddlers as well. Babies don't pee in their sleep, they rouse a bit, pee, and then either get upset so you will change them or go back to sleep. It depends on how sensitive they are to the wetness. Our body actually releases something that slows the production of urine while we are sleeping. This is why we don't have to go as often at night as we do during the day. My six month old always wakes up and fusses before he goes. If your son is peeing a lot, in his sleep there could be some other underlying cause that you are unaware of. Both my two year old and six month old WILL pee in their sleep on occasion when they are sick. My six month old will ALSO pee in his sleep, and MORE OFTEN in general (day and night) when I eat dairy (he is still nursing) because he has a milk protein allergy. Just something to consider. Food sensitivites can often be the cause of night wetting

Good luck! Hopefully he just needs some time to get it all sorted out! You never know One day he may just start waking up dry. There really isn't a whole heck of a lot that can be done other than what you are already doing when all else is normal, to be honest.
April 29th, 2011, 09:43 PM
challowell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wake Rachel up about 15 minuites before her usual wakeup time and sit her on the toilot. She does good untill right before she wakesand then the floodgates open. If I get to her in time she stays dry but it is still hit and miss for me. Good luck.
April 30th, 2011, 07:03 PM
amberjolie's Avatar Super Mommy
I personally wouldn't worry. My oldest was 8 and my middle child 7 before they were able to stay dry during the night, every night. I didn't bother waking them up, just had them in pullups, and made sure if they wet through that I got a bigger size (moving to the "Goodnights" for older kids when needed).

The doctor said there's a medication that can help, but essentially it just dehydrates them so they don't have to go, and as soon as you stop using it, if their body isn't ready, they'll have an accident.

My youngest, on the other hand, trained late, but once he was trained (at 4), he has stayed dry each and every night.

I think some kids just can't make it through the night (sound sleepers, small bladders, whatever the case), but eventually they will. It makes for better sleep for everyone if you just use the pullups and not bother waking them, in my experience.

I found even in the pullups, they just eventually started staying dry. But if he wets through every morning, move up a pullup size, even if he's not technically the right "weight" for it.

Last edited by amberjolie; April 30th, 2011 at 07:06 PM.
September 17th, 2011, 03:25 AM
Some kids respond to stickers or stars on a chart. For others, trips to the park or extra bedtime stories are effective.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search