Day care potty training rules

Forum: Potty Training

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Potty Training LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 10th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My son is 26 months old and in the toddler room at day care. I had known that he had to be potty trained to move up to preschool, which is around 33 months, or next June. So by the time he was 2 we had a potty chair for him and figured 9 months gave us plenty of time.

Well, we recently found out that he is supposed to be in underwear at 28 months! That's only two months away. I'm kind of upset because we only found this out at 25 months. He isn't showing much interest in training. It's very hard to get him to sit on his chair, and when he does he only stays for a second and then says "all done."

Granted, we have a lot of help with the day care staff. They don't expect underwear=fully trained, so they are prepared for accidents. And they have a system of putting him on the potty every half hour or so to start, to avoid them. But I just can't imagine underwear in less than two months!

I know there is a very wide range of normal for potty training, but isn't it best to let the child lead it to some extent, at least before 3 years old? I've read that pushing it when they are not ready can lead to further delays.

In addition his teacher wants to move him up early, around 31 months (the earliest they do it) because he's pretty advanced and she fears he will start to get bored, and start to act out. Unfortunately 31 months is April, and I have baby #2 due at the end of March. I don't want him to be going through a big change both at school and at home at the same time. So it's either move him up at 30, or at 32. They prefer 30. That's only slightly related to the potty issue, I suppose. But it's another stress to deal with at the same time!

Hopefully we just have to get ourselves on a pretty strict regimin--trying pullups or training pants, and he'll be a quick learner. We'll see!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search