Toddler hates being naked! How to PT?

Forum: Potty Training

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Potty Training LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 26th, 2012, 05:12 PM
My 2.5 yr old hates being naked. I tried potty training the other day and he was okay wearing the undies but as soon as he started to pee and I'd take him to the potty there was HUGE resistance to me taking his underwear off. And I couldn't get him to sit on the potty for the life of me. For the past couple of months he's been perfectly happy to sit on there as long as he is fully clothed. He has a little friend that he's seen using the potty and he's watched us go. Has anyone else gone through this?
Also, he was horrified whenever he'd have an accident. I was super positive and just explained what was happening while leading him to the bathroom and then when I'd try to help him onto the potty he completely objected. After about two accidents he managed to hold it for a long time and then REALLY had to go. He started crying and getting very upset, asking for the change table instead of the potty. I took him to the bathroom to see if he'd sit and he ended up peeing on the floor, which, again, was okay with me except that he was SUPER upset that he was having an accident...he's a bit of a perfectionist with everything else, so I guess he is with this too.
It's been a couple of days (after that last episode we put a diaper back on and haven't tried since). Anyways, I tried giving him a bath today and he was super freaked out because he thought that he was going to have an accident. He just kept begging for the diaper and crying that he was peeing.
I don't know what to do! I just want to help him overcome his fears. I've kept it positive and put no pressure on him about it all; we're pretty relaxed people but I don't know how to help him!
Sorry this was so long...
June 2nd, 2012, 10:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
When you want him to use the potty do you fully remove pants and underwear ?

If so I would suggest not fully taking them off just enough for him to go pee and poop.

Do you try to get him to use the big toilet or just a potty chair ?

Most boys I learned are uncomfortable with potty chairs as my son was he didn't like that feeling so he rarely used a potty chair I had him use the big toilet with a kid seat over the adult seat with pants and undies only pulled down partly enough for them not to get pee or toilet water splashed on them when going poop.

Also, to add regular adult seats seem to be cold for kids so when kid seats are over them it's more suitable as in just right.

Last edited by Mom2Brendan; June 2nd, 2012 at 10:57 AM.
June 5th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Potty training our little guys can be an adventure -- and a challenge, jtg107! I remember when my son was 2 1/2, I thought it was time to start potty training. He wasn't interested at all in this whole process.

I decided to try again when he was three and actually had to physically show him that there were no more diapers in the house because he would cry and ask for a diaper when he needed to go. Wearing 'super hero' undies did help with this. I just had to make sure that his pants (or shorts) were easy for him to pull down on his own when he sat on the big potty. He always had the mindset, "I do it myself."

It was hard sometimes to not get frustrated when he started getting upset because he was afraid of having an accident. When my little guy realized that there was no going back to diapers, he eventually got on board. Mind you, it didn't happen overnight. I've worked with Focus on the Family and have come across a FAQ on their website about potty training that has been useful to me and many other moms. All you have to do is go to their home page and go to the bottom of the screen and click on FAQs. It will take you to a page with a search box. You can type in "potty training" and a number of questions with answers will pop up about this topic.

I hope this helps...praying for you and your son!
June 28th, 2012, 11:41 PM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Brendan View Post
When you want him to use the potty do you fully remove pants and underwear ?

If so I would suggest not fully taking them off just enough for him to go pee and poop.

Do you try to get him to use the big toilet or just a potty chair ?

Most boys I learned are uncomfortable with potty chairs as my son was he didn't like that feeling so he rarely used a potty chair I had him use the big toilet with a kid seat over the adult seat with pants and undies only pulled down partly enough for them not to get pee or toilet water splashed on them when going poop.

Also, to add regular adult seats seem to be cold for kids so when kid seats are over them it's more suitable as in just right.

I did not know that about the potty chair. I have the thing that goes on the big toilet, so will try that tomorrow. My son hates being naked too. He cries and just freezes when his diaper get taken off. Then he stands with his legs weird like he is terrified of peeing on the the carpet.

Thanks to Nicole *MommaDucks* for my siggy

Tags
potty training

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search