Over 3 and STILL not potty trained

Forum: Potty Training

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Potty Training LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 16th, 2012, 05:44 PM
My son turned 3 in March.

He is still in diapers, but not for lack of trying! I first started trying about a year ago, but he didn't want to cooperate and didn't seem ready. We'd wait for a while and try again.

Here's the problem; I can get him to pee in the potty. He will pee on command, but not much. 10 or 20 minutes later, sometimes as little as 5 minutes later, he'll wet his underpants.

I've talked to a Dr about this, and he thinks that my son is just not emptying his bladder completely.

I have NO IDEA how a child can pee so often! I wouldn't even think a newborn would pee as much as my 3 year old! It's not quantity that's an issue, he never pees alot. It's frequency. He also won't use the potty on his own, I have to remind him. Or make him sit even if he doesn't want to, otherwise he will have an accident and he doesn't seem to care. The wet underpants apparently don;t bother him because he'll continue to play and not tell me he's wet.

He still tries to hide and poop, in underpants or a diaper, he doesn't want to do that on the potty but we've been able to get him to poop 3 to 4 times now.

Some days I go through 10 to 12 pairs of underpants or more. It's SO frustrating.... I end up putting a diaper back on after a few days. Then I'll try again a few days later and it's the same thing.

HELP!!!!!!!!!

~ George R. R. Martin
August 31st, 2012, 12:38 AM
Anne Rose's Avatar Member
He feels your frustration and sees that he can get a reaction out of you. When you see that he is not bothered by wetting his pants, try to take away one of his favorite toys or discipline him so that he knows what he is doing is wrong. Also, DONT EVER GIVE UP. He sees that you get tired of trying when you put back his diaper and he knows that. Whatever you do, hide your frustration. He knows that whenever he does not use the potty, he gets attention. He pees only a little, so that he "can wet his pants" a few minutes thereafter - causing a reaction from your side. Try to beat him at his own game. He is 3 years old already, he started this game with you, you need to finish it!
October 10th, 2012, 02:41 PM
TerriLF's Avatar Super Mommy
How old is he exactly? My son was 3 in May and was NOT interested at all. My ped told me he needs to be potty trained by 4 but if he decides to wait until the month before his birthday and do it quickly, who cares. Well I never thought he was going to be ready by 4 but one day he started saying he was wet and/or dirty and wanted changed. He is still not completely potty trained but doesn't want to be wet or dirty so we are getting there. He just started pooping in the toilet this week and has been going pee "pretty regularly" in the toilet for over 3 months now. It is a SLOW process for us but know he is ready.

You just have to wait until he is ready. I started telling him who nasty and dirty it was for him to go potty in his diaper and I think eventually he didn't want to be nasty anymore. We also tried giving gifts, taking things away, time out...everything..until he was ready nothing worked..
..Hope this helps.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search