Are we ready for potty training????

Forum: Potty Training

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sunqueen

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Potty Training LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 9th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Veteran
Well I think I am lol! But I want your opinions mommies....my son will be 18 months on nov. 24th. That is when I would like to SLOWLY introduce him to the potty training. Is he too young? His doctor told me never start before two! But I know it is going to be a long process soooo I don't think it would hurt to start talking and showing him potty stuff when he is 18 months....am I wrong in thinking that? The doctors reason is because any younger than 2 they can be very impressionable and if they feel they are accomplishing something they will get discouraged in themselves and not want to do it and then I will have more problems then if I just waited. I want your opinion ladies what ages did you start your babies?
Now how did you start? Did you buy those dvds and books? I was thinking of getting the elmo potty with the training book/dvd. I do think my little guy is ready. He follows me and my hubby into the bathroom everytime we say we have to go pee pee he goes running to the bathroom and grabs at his own pants. I do believe he knows what we are talking about. And then I will ask him later on did you make poops in your pants and he will shake his head yes and grab at his pants and then go back to his room to get changed. Do you think based on this he is ready? I don't expect this to be an overnight thing by no means I fully expect to be at 2 years old and maybe finally have him trained! I just don't want to push him if he isn't ready.

October 9th, 2012, 08:21 PM
sunqueen's Avatar Super Mommy
Go for it!!

We took the diaper off Luka when he as somewhere between 15 and 16 months and he was completely potty trained day and night somewhere between 20 and 21 months (I didn't write any dates down so I'm remembering along the lines of "we'd come back from his cousin baptism")

We didn't use or buy any special books or DVD's nor did we introduce any kinds of compensation for going to the toilet except praise.

Personally I follow the principle that if it was possible 40-50 years ago why should it not be possible now! This is taken from an article here on JM:
Quote:
...according to the American Academy of Family Physicians, only 40-60% of children are actually potty trained by the time they turn 3 years old. In contrast, the average age to complete toilet training in the 1950's was around 14 months.

October 9th, 2012, 08:30 PM
ERose's Avatar Veteran
My daughter turns 3 next month and still isn't potty trained! She knows what to do, just hasn't gone in the potty or toilet yet. Its quite frustrating, but she's very advanced for her age in other areas so we know this is just going to be the thing that she struggles with!

With #2 on the way we are def determined to get her potty trained ASAP! Just gotta keep patient!
October 10th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Veteran
Thank you for your response both of you!! Sunqueen....I absolutely agree with you on the jsut giving praise. I make my LO put his clothes in the hamper and he gets praise and a high five and thats it!

October 11th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Veteran
I have a question again.......With boys....how do you deal with the pee pee?? Do you show them that they need to hold it when they pee? DH is all sorts of freaked out on how to deal with that part...lol....probably cause I told him that potty training is his job cause he is a boy...and DH hasn't had to deal with much of anything with DS since he is born.....

October 18th, 2012, 11:50 AM
sunqueen's Avatar Super Mommy
In the beginning when he sat down we held his penis in place but later he did it by himself. Can't remember when he started to stand up but we didn't really show him to do anything....I guess he just picked it up from his dad
wmatto83 likes this.

October 23rd, 2012, 04:39 AM
Potty Training Seat are of attractive shape and bright colour potty help children get accustomed to the new object, there potty, and start to recognize it as their own. Creating smiles of joy and appreciation is what we love best.
October 23rd, 2012, 11:39 AM
ASoldiersLuckyCharm's Avatar Three's A Charm <3
Send a message via ICQ to ASoldiersLuckyCharm Send a message via Yahoo to ASoldiersLuckyCharm Send a message via Skype™ to ASoldiersLuckyCharm
I tend to agree I pushed mine at 18-20 months old due to living with my parents during a deployment. WORST MISTAKE EVER! He will show signs if interested I'd put a potty in his room and buy a seat cover for the big potty.

all graphics made by Jackie at http://cutesypies.livejournal.com/ & http://blushfuls.com/ tell her Judy sent you
February 16th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Hello! I agree with Sunqueen. In 1950, 90% of babies were potty trained by 24 months. Today, that percentage is a mere 23%. As a society we are clearly moving in the wrong direction.

Age is not as important as the signs your child is giving you. Here are some things you can watch for:

Toddlers are programed with their own schedule. Even the best training methods are sure to fail if your child is not ready. You'll need to watch for a few basic tips before you know they are ready for the potty training to begin. The first sign you may notice is that you're changing fewer wet diapers. Kids pee very frequently up until around 20-24 months. If your toddler is starting to stay dry for 1-2 hour stretches then they may ready!

A few other signs to watch for is predictability in your child's bowel movements. A regular pattern will help you anticipate when to pull out the potty and increase the chances of success. Also watch for tips that your toddler is letting you know they are about to pee or poop. Some children will communicate this verbally. Others may grunt. As long as your child is showing that they are aware of their body functions, then they are ready to start.

Also, many toddlers go through a stage when they become grossed out their own dirty diapers. This is a great opportunity to start some potty training because your child is becoming just as grossed out by their smelly diapers as you! Before training begins they should be able to quickly pull down their pants and pull-ups. The final tip to watch out for is when your toddler is observing their parents using the toilet. You will know that they have potty training on the brain if they are seeking a live demonstration!!!

There are more things you can keep an eye on as well. If you need more information check out Susan Cline's Potty Training Methods. She is amazing and her research and methods are the absolute best shot we have at reversing this terrible trend. She put together a step by step program that I used on my two boys

Last edited by PottyTrainer; February 23rd, 2013 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Typing error
July 5th, 2013, 11:47 AM
I think that is a great idea! you are not pressuring her..you are just sitting her and showing her gradually! BRILLIAN!! i also suggest, when they walk, start playing and having games in the toilett..by taking their dolls/cars to the toilet...or reading stories ... and there is a very nice app/game to show them how to go to the toilet . its called potty training learning with the animals! plus you have already tested with your oldest one!! i bet she would learn very fast as well!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search