Negative remarks about my 3 year old not being potty trained.

Forum: Potty Training

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Potty Training LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 7th, 2012, 11:30 AM
KeLLiC09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've heard boys are harder to potty train. And some don't become potty trained until they are about 4 years old. We have a potty seat for him and he's used it twice in 1 day. Any time we bring it up to him, he will literally throw a fit! On the ground, screaming. I don't know what to do. People are saying to let him run around naked. I can't do that. I can't go around cleaning my carpets 24/7. Does anyone have any suggestions?
and Mason Jacob born 08.12.13

December 7th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Super Mommy
Hmmmm how about getting his daddy to show him how to pee like a big boy? Since he is three he may be more open to that. My boys were iffy with the potty until their dad showed them how to pee standing up.

I must warn you though, Aim comes later! so set him up on some tile
December 20th, 2012, 12:02 PM
artisticmind's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
honestly he may not be ready. I have a 3yr old who just potty trained this fall so he was closer to 3.5 yrs. I tried forever to get him interested in it. We bought him a potty chair and set it in the bathroom probably between 18mo and 2 years old. He would use it occasionally but not consistently. Then we started working with him on at least sitting on it and going before getting in the bathtub. Seemed to work and he would go potty on his own while I was running his bath. We didn't have any really good progress with potty training for quite a while, i would say almost a year. I was determined to have him potty trained this past summer and tried everything. hid the diapers, gave him undies only, let him run around bottomless, bribing him with candy, etc. He just wasn't interested.

Then in August it finally clicked with him at going potty on the toilet. Pooping was a whole other story. We finally decided to try another bribe, something we knew he wanted. He's into Thomas the Train and loves Percy but he'd never gotten a Percy train so we bought one and took a pic of it, put the train up in the closet, and taped the pics next to the toilets so every time he went he had a reminder and he'd always say "I want to play with Percy" and we'd remind him that when he pooped in the toilet he would get Percy to play with. It took probably 2.5-3 weeks before he gathered the courage and pooped on the toilet. We made a huge deal out of it and he got his train. We had a few poop accidents after that but i think the feeling of having dirty undies finally got to him, he was really good at coming up to us and telling us he pooped his undies, and he eventually started pooping in the toilet and the frequency of accidents dwindled and I can't remember for sure, but I think we've been accident-free (both poop and pee) since October. It just took him being ready to do it himself because no amount of prodding from me or daddy was getting the job done.

Baby Girl expected 2.12.13!

Annie :wife to JJ and mommy to Riley
missing our Feb. 2012
January 20th, 2013, 04:54 PM
He may simply not be ready. I think it is more important to observe signs in his behavior rather than feel pressured to have him potty trained because of his age. There is a good sticky post in this forum about knowing when a child is ready for potty training.
January 20th, 2013, 06:23 PM
ERose's Avatar Veteran
My 3yr old daughter isn't potty trained yet either. We've been at it on/off since she was 2 & been really trying to knuckle down on it this past week...I say don't try & force him, just lots of positive encouragment!
My daughter is similar, she's been pretty difficult...but I've been patient & letting her do things in her own time. Today she's been pulling her pants down & going on the potty by herself trying to go pee pee & I've just been praising her big time! She hasn't actually gone in it yet, but I know its gonna happen!
All children are different, they excel at different things & struggle with different things. I'm sure your lil one will get it soon!
May 22nd, 2013, 01:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I likr banned daycare mommys answer. My suggestion would be to make it fun for them. I taught my first who is 3 now, by letting him flush the toilet, then giving him a treat or do something special. My second, just turned two this month and started taking his diapers off on his own. I sat him down a few times but hes honestly potty trained himself. Another thing, I never madr the potty a big deal. Never asked him if he wanted to go potty until he was trained. Id just sit him on the potty without asking and wed sing a song or read a short story. Id let him flush weather he went or not. Pretty soon he got to the point where he would go in the br. Put the potty seat in thw toilet , go, get down, flush the toilet id wipe him, hed wash his hands, wed say yay and clap he and i both and that was that lol. Good luck. Just take it slow. If he throws a fit just stop, take a few months then start again and dont even bring it up. Just sit him on there read a book sing a song let him flush lol have fun with it.
November 12th, 2013, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiemommie View Post
I likr banned daycare mommys answer. My suggestion would be to make it fun for them. I taught my first who is 3 now, by letting him flush the toilet, then giving him a treat or do something special. My second, just turned two this month and started taking his diapers off on his own. I sat him down a few times but hes honestly potty trained himself. Another thing, I never madr the potty a big deal. Never asked him if he wanted to go potty until he was trained. Id just sit him on the potty without asking and wed sing a song or read a short story. Id let him flush weather he went or not. Pretty soon he got to the point where he would go in the br. Put the potty seat in thw toilet , go, get down, flush the toilet id wipe him, hed wash his hands, wed say yay and clap he and i both and that was that lol. Good luck. Just take it slow. If he throws a fit just stop, take a few months then start again and dont even bring it up. Just sit him on there read a book sing a song let him flush lol have fun with it.
Making it fun is definitely a good way to do this. Kids love to do things that they think is fun or which you (as the parent) perceive is fun. Give him treats for using the bathroom properly. The reward system works extremely well if you're consistent with it. And don't wait too long before rewarding them because kids love to see instantaneous results from their efforts. Keeping them on a leash for too long a time might cause them to lose interest. Consistency is key here!

Last edited by Greenhorn85; May 5th, 2014 at 05:41 AM.
January 21st, 2014, 08:56 PM
MommyofAngels1985's Avatar Veteran
My oldest turns 3 in three weeks and we are still working with her. She is doing better now though, Last Saturday she went 4 times, Sunday 5 times, Monday 2 times and today she went 5 times. And about half of those times she tells us she has to go "pee pee". When she goes she dances and claps her hands with me, then she runs straight to the candy jar and grabs 1-3 M&M's . I'm hoping if this keeps up we can put her in her padded underwear and then into her big girl underwear when she is full trained.

She started going in the potty when she turned 2 and was doing okay but after her sister was born she kind of regressed but now she is back on track .

Team Pink!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search