My first pregnancy and I'm freaking out!!

Forum: Pregnancy Questions

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Questions LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 19th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I'm going to try and cram as much here without getting boring or losing anyone.

My boyfriend and I weren't exactly trying to get pregnant, but we weren't doing anything to avoid it, either. Now I am pregnant and the doctors are confusing me and sort of freaking me out.

First of all, I feel kind of overwhelmed looking on these forums and websites and seeing all these abbreviations and words that truly mean nothing to me because I don't understand them, so please, if you reply and use them, tell me what they mean!!!

Ok, so I found out I was pregnant 36 days after the first day of my last period (which was March 9). I tend to have an abnormal period, and honestly don't know when my ovulation and stuff it. I went and got blood work done and my hCG level was 22. They called me saying it was really low, and two days later I got it redone and it was a 44. From what I know that is good news? I hope so. They scheduled me for an OB-GYN appointment next Monday, and someone told me I should ask for an internal ultrasound, so I might do that.

So, I've been sort of obsessing and taking pregnancy tests everyday just to make sure everything is still ok. I know, it sounds crazy, but I'm so worried. And everyday the line showed up a little darker. Today I bought a new, cheaper test and I could barely see the line at all.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I really want to have this baby, and I want to be healthy. All I can do is think that I might be miscarrying, and that really scares me.
Thank you all for taking the time to read this.
April 19th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Veteran
i think first of all just breathe.....im newish here too and am only starting to pick up on all the abbreviations too....lol...

in any case i think the hospital blood tests are more acurate as for the at home tests, for my own resasons i think very low of them....id agree just go and have the internal done.....do you have abnormal bleeding? is there a reason you feel you might miss carry or are you just worried about it?
April 19th, 2010, 09:25 PM
missmich
Congrats on being pregnant!!!

This is my first baby as well! You should really check out the First Time Mommies and Mommies to Be section! Also take a look at the "Been There Done That" section. I've been meaning to take a peak in there as well.

There might be a thread in the Welcome section about all the abreveations we use here. I get confused by them as well.

Don't worry about the test line not being as dark. There's no need to be testing anymore anyway since the blood test has shown you're pregnant.

The doc will ask you a bunch of questions about your medical history and a little about the baby's father or FOB (father of baby as we say here) and she'll ask when your LMP was (last menstrual period) and then she can tell you your EDD (estimated due date). You may know the date that baby was made (like me) and think "ok I know that I'm 11 weeks pregnant,so why is she saying I'm 14 weeks pregnant?". It's b/c they count you as being pregnant from your LMP. She'll weigh you and take your blood pressure at all your visits and will probably do a urine test each visit as well. The first visit they normally for a pap test as well to check for cancer and chlamydia,at least they do here. They will also do some blood tests. Married or single testing for STD's while pregnant is pretty standard in most places so don't be insulted.

Now the doc may tell you things about what levels this or that is bla bla bla,that's what it sounds like to me. I'm not a numbers girl and I never remember things like that. So I just ask her "is that bad or good" and if it's bad I ask what I can do to make it better. I just try and make it more simple for me.

My doctor listened to babys heart beat my first visit and it was pretty exciting for me! She also "measured" my belly with her hands and said I was measuring further along then I was,but this is not scientific and she could have been wrong for many reasons (full bladder etc...) so don't worry if that happens to you as well.

They don't normally do an ultra sound until later on in the pregnancy,for me it was going to be 20 weeks. I was in the ER though with a kidney infection and the doc there decided to do one at 17 weeks. I had no idea what I was looking at in there,but don't worry they will probably explain to you where the baby is and all that. My baby waved at me! They did the u/s (ultra sound) on my belly,so it was external. An internal one is done via the vagina. I'm not sure which one is better or anything.

Some doctors will do a pelvic exam at each visit. I just read something that says this isn't really needed and may introduce bacteria to the cervix and you don't need that while pregnant. In Canada you can refuse any type of medical treatment you're not comfortable with. So for me I'll tell them I don't want anymore pelvic exams and when in labor not do so many vaginal checks.

Your boobs will be sore if they aren't all ready. I'd suggest wearing a light support bra to bed or a camisole with a little bit of support. I started to wear one to bed and it helped a lot.

Pee as soon as you feel the need to pee and never,ever hold it! It can lead to a UTI/bladder infection (urinary tract infection) or a kidney infection. Try to drink more water then normally as well.

I've been learning a lot from some new mama friends that I've been meeting so feel free to ask me anything you want or post in the forum somewhere and I'm sure you will get some answers.
April 20th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Pretty Lady- I don't have abnormal bleeding. The day after I found out I was pregnant I spotting REALLY lightly and had some small cramps, but have tested positive since then and got my blood drawn after that. I'm just worried because my hCG levels are low and I'm not having a lot of symptoms and stuff I might be miscarrying.

Missmich-Thanks for all the information. It was very helpful. I am trying to be as calm as possible, but I'm still worried. I'm not taking anymore tests or anything either.

Thank you both.
April 20th, 2010, 01:38 PM
missmich
Some women do spot during the start of pregnancy. Some have it the whole time. When I was first pregnant I had some very mild cramps and I thought that AF (Aunt Flo,my period) was starting. I really didn't think I was pregnant.
April 22nd, 2010, 04:37 AM
Marlz.
Dont worry about the test.. Just keep eatting healthy and drink plenty of water. Take pregnancy supplements to. Rest up and relax. I hope you have a h&h pregnancy hun.

Tags
first pregnancy , hcg , miscarriage , pregnant , scared

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search