I'm cramping and so scared!

Forum: Pregnancy Questions

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Questions LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 24th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Petuniababoon's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi everyone, I'm 11 weeks and 5 days into my first pregnancy. My husband and I have been trying for 7 years, and it finally happened! But now I'm scared because sometimes at night or out of the blue I will have a cramp. Not a severe one, and it usually goes away fairly quickly, and I haven't had any bleeding, but I'm terrified of having a miscarriage. I've read up on all the possible causes for cramping during pregnancy, including on this site, and these articles basically say that this could be normal. But none of the mothers I know have experienced cramping without miscarriage. Have any of you gone through this and had a healthy baby? I'm here posting this at 6 am because I'm so worried I can't sleep.

Last edited by Petuniababoon; November 24th, 2010 at 08:09 AM.
November 24th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Super Mommy
Congratulations on your pregnancy!!

If you have no bleeding or spotting I wouldn't let it worry you (I know, easier said than done). I've had weird cramps and/or super intense low back pain pretty frequently during my 5 pregnancies, and even spotting with three, and never miscarried.

Also, what may be more encouraging, is that once you've seen (on an ultrasound) or heard the heartbeat, your chances of miscarriage drop hugely -- if the baby is viable and alive it's much, much less likely that you'll miscarry.

On that note, at almost 12 weeks you very well may be able to hear the heartbeat with a doppler. If you already have an ob or midwife, just give them a call and see if they'd mind doing a quick listen to reassure you. Don't panic if you don't hear it. For example, I have an anterior placenta (front lying) which is no big deal, but makes it harder to hear the heartbeat early on.
November 24th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Thank you so much mamatomany! I had a sonogram last week and saw my baby's heartbeat and watched it kicking and squirming around, so it's a great relief to know that that means I'm much less likely to miscarry. It's also good to know that you had some of the same symptoms as I do and that everything was fine. You have greatly eased my mind! I'm sure I will be able to sleep better tonight.
November 25th, 2010, 01:30 AM
momma2011's Avatar Shannon
Send a message via AIM to momma2011
I'm 30 weeks now and I had lots of cramping early on. Every day I had cramps or some strange pain that made me think I was miscarrying. Nothing was ever wrong though, baby has been perfectly normal and healthy. My worrying slowed down at 14 weeks but it wasn't until 22 weeks that I decided baby was going to stick around and I could quit worrying entirely.

Thanks to Graysmama for my pretty siggy!

November 25th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Thanks for the reassurance, momma2011!
November 26th, 2010, 09:54 AM
momma2011's Avatar Shannon
Send a message via AIM to momma2011
You're welcome. I just realized that you tried for seven years so I thought I'd share my story. I had 17 years of being told I was infertile before I unexpectedly got pregnant the old fashioned way. I had long since resigned myself to a childfree life, as had the rest of my family. So I way more paranoid than the average person. It felt like God had made a mistake and he was going to realize it at any moment and take my baby away. Not at all rational but I felt that way for all of the first trimester and most of the second. My OB was completely unsupportive and didn't get it at all. I am having a perfectly average pregnancy so she thought I should just relax and enjoy it. Oh how I would have loved to just enjoy things, but every pang scared me. Google became my best friend. I found a chart that told me miscarriage rates by week and that helped me immensely. Once I hit 20 weeks I had a chart that told me premature survival rates and that helped even more. Every week that went by I relaxed more and more.

I hope that in a few more weeks you'll be able to relax and enjoy your little bean. I hope your baby shower is everything you ever dreamed it would be, that watching your belly move is as magical as you thought it would be. By the way, don't be alarmed if the pregnancy isn't as sunshiney as you expected. I think after so many years of trying we expect to love love love being pregnant and we don't all feel that way. I have moments of the greatest love I've ever experienced in my life, mixed with a lot of moments of guilt, fear, or exhaustion. Good luck.

Thanks to Graysmama for my pretty siggy!

November 27th, 2010, 09:17 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Cramping can be normal. It can be the stretching that happens to make room for baby, or it could be nerves pinching, and it can even be braxton hicks this early. With my second baby I had a lot of cramping for very early on. I had a previous miscarriage before I became pregnant with my first, so I was a little alarmed. But it was just braxton hicks starting around 4 weeks and through my entire pregnancy. If they aren't painful and you have no bleeding then I think you're safe. But if they become painful, lasts for long periods (5 or so minutes) or if you have any bleeding then you want to call your birth provider immediatly.
November 28th, 2010, 09:11 AM
momma2011 - thank you so much for sharing your story. It brought tears to my eyes because it hit so close to home for me. Congratulations on your little miracle, and thank you so much for the wisdom and experience you shared.

JennTheMomma - thanks for the info! I feel much better informed now.

Tags
cramping , is it normal? , miscarriage , pregnancy question

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search