preparing the pets for a new addition

Forum: Pregnancy Questions

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Questions LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Veteran
we have cats. and dogs. i know with cats, i shouldn't mess with the litter boxes and such. and we will be putting a light screen door on the nursery to keep the cats out of there (good idea?) but what about dogs? one is mostly an outside guy, unless it's too hot or cold or raining. the other is a very sweet girl, a mama's girl, she won't leave my side and gets nervous if she can't find me. how should we prepare them, the dogs especially, for the arrival? is there anything that works vs doesn't work? i just need some insight from those of you with pets! this is our first baby, so anything helps.

thank you!
September 12th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
When is your little one due to arrive ?

It's tough because you never know what reaction any pet is going to have with a baby as some may be more attention grabber , some may actually be a protector ,and some may be a more distant .

Attention Grabbing Pets : Time for you to hold the baby or feed the baby the attention grabbing pet will try to jump into your lap while your with the baby or climb up on the couch next to you try to give you lots of kisses . Have your husband keep an eye and get ready to grab the pet before they end up doing that .

If that can't be done then put that pet in another room until your done feeding /holding the baby .

Protector pets: will snuggle up near the baby as if the baby is there and sometimes they will lick them .

If they are seperated from the baby for awhile especially if the dog ends up being the protector a dog could howl and howl until they know what the baby is doing .

The distant pets will more likely just hide and come out when the baby isn't around .

Pets usually know they are going to be getting a new addition to the family by a scent of change some pets can even know when your going into labor

September 13th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Veteran
that's good to know...our female dog is protective of me. and that worries me. i'm scared she'll be jealous. but she's been around small toddlers before and has been nothing but gentle...and kind of ignores them to a point.
September 17th, 2011, 05:50 AM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didnt really do anything to prepare. I did start coming in the house with the infant seat, and training them to stay away, not to jump on it, etc. and I walked them around with the stroller to get them and me used to it.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

October 11th, 2011, 05:57 PM
We had 2 dogs when our oldest was born and we didn't do much to prepare either. When we brought him home, we held the dogs and let them sniff the baby. They both did and after that were pretty underwhelmed by him. I'm sure it depends on the dog, but ours weren't very interested.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search