Advice? Feeling terrible.

Forum: Pregnancy Questions

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Questions LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 21st, 2011, 03:03 AM
I may just need some sympathy. I'm not sure what advice anyone can give besides what I have already tried. My pregnancy has been really tough from the start. My husband and I are very excited to have a baby, but the actual pregnancy process has been terrible for me. I'm not going to bother you with the symptoms that I have had that have gone away, but I want to vent about the symptoms that I currently have.

I am 6 months pregnant and I never went through the "easy" second trimester. My second trimester was far from easy. I am terrified of the third trimester as it is supposed to be the worst:

Symptom 1- De Quervain's Syndrome- I am pretty sure that this is what I have. I called the doc to explain the symptoms and he seemed to agree. It's similar to Carpal Tunnel but it is on the side of the wrist. And it HURTS!!!! If I move my wrist slightly wrong I want to scream. I have been wrapping my left wrist during flare-ups for two weeks now. The scary thing is that the other wrist is starting to hurt too. The doc says this is normal and it is due to water retention and swelling. He said that in most cases, it goes away after the baby is born.

Symptom 2- Sleeping Troubles- I have been trying not to sleep on my back but this has been tough for me. I have always been a stomach sleeper but that is not possible anymore. Anyway, when I lay on either side, my hips, arms and hands get really numb, itchy and painful. This has made side-sleeping nearly impossible. I have resorted to sleeping on my back a bunch just so I could get sleep. I need to ask my doctor if this will harm the baby at all. I have an appointment next week. This along with the peeing has made sleeping very tough.

Symptom 3- Snoring- Before pregnancy I did not snore. Now, my husband will no longer sleep in the bed with me as my snoring has gotten so loud. It is so loud that ear plugs don't help. I got the Breath Right strips from the store as I heard that they are helpful. Sadly, not in my case. I am praying that this goes away when the baby is born. It hurts my feelings when my husband won't sleep in bed with me, but I totally understand.

Symptom 4- Pelvic Pain- The best way I can describe this is that it feels like I have a 50 lb. weight on my pelvic bone. Simple tasks like getting out of bed, putting on pants or shoes, walking fast etc, really hurt. Apparently this is normal too as the hip bones are adjusting to make room for baby.

Symptom 5- Shortness of Breath- I have a job that requires me to be on my feet a lot. Sometimes I find that, while merely standing still, I am short of breath. Its embarrassing. Especially when I am giving a presentation or training someone. I used to sing karaoke weekly, but now I just don't seem to have the lung capacity. The doc said this is because the baby is leaning on my lungs.

Symptom 6- Baby on the bladder- So, how is it possible that the baby is on my lungs and bladder at the same time? This seems to be the case.

Symptom 7- Swelling Feet and Hands- I know that this is common. Putting my feet up doesn't seem to help. I bought cold-pack booties because the cold feels good on swollen feet.

Symptom 8- Cold/Flu- Now, this past 9 days I have been suffering from a terrible sinus headache. I am now stuffy and just feeling icky in general. The doc said, for regular headaches I could take regular strength Tylenol. For sinus and congestion he said I could take 60mg of Sudafed. For my sinus headache, the only thing that has seemed to work is to take a dose of both. I talked to the pharmacist before I did this and he thought it would be okay. I will ask the doc in my appointment next week as well.

Symptom 9- UTI Feeling but no UTI- I swear the doc thought I was crazy. I was sure that I had a UTI. I have a history of them so I am quite familiar with how they feel. But, according to two tests, I don't have one. I drink a ton of water, but I have noticed that if I get dehydrated at all, I feel like I have a UTI. Its so odd. All I have to do is chug a bottle of water and the symptom goes away.

Symptom 10- Knee Pain- My job requires a lot of kneeling, stooping, and bending over. I found it harder and hard to do the kneeling as my knees don't seem to like the extra weight. I have only gained 10 or 12 lbs so far. Recommended weight gain from my doc was 20 as I was a bit heavy already.

Symptom 11- Back Pain- My job also requires a lot of standing. I have found that standing for more than two hours starts to get really uncomfortable on my back. Sitting for long periods of time hurts my back as well. I bought a lumbar support pillow for my office chair but it doesn't seem to help.

So I listed all of my above symptoms. I am especially frustrated because I have become scared to call my doctor. I try to never call. When I call, I feel that one of two things happens:

-The nurse/doctor talks really fast and doesn't explain anything. Maybe because I am 33, they think that I should know all about pregnancy. But I don't. I am sick of hearing "That's normal."

-I hang up feeling stupid for calling. For example, I heard that I could not use a hot tub. I did not understand why. I thought that extreme hot weather may be the same. So when I called up to ask about a work function that was outside in 100 degree weather, the response I got was "What do you think they do in Africa?"

I keep going to this doctor because he is part of one of the best hospitals in the area. So, God forbid somethings doesn't go as planed with the little one, this is the best office to be visiting. And, unlike the 1st office I tried, closer to my home, this office calls back very quickly when I do call.

I welcome any advice or words of wisdom on anything above.
November 21st, 2011, 11:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry your going thru all this it sounds very tough to go through !

1. Your wrist pain during pregnancy look at this link they have some products listed for women who have pain during pregnancy in their wrists plus locations of where you can find them
IMAK : A Solution to Wrist Pain During Pregnancy

2. Have you tried a pregnancy sleep pillow ? http://www.amazon.com/Leachco-Snoogl.../dp/B0000635WI

3. Here is some information on snoring during pregnancy and suggestions for helping with the snoring
PREGNANCY DISCOMFORT RESOURCE: Snoring and Sleep Apnea in Pregnancy

4. That pelvic pain sounds like this and I suggest find a chiropractor that does pregnancy massages that shall help Symphysis Pubic Dysfunction in Pregnancy

5. Shortness of breath | Pregnancy | March of Dimes

6. PREGNANCY INFORMATION: Bladder Problems

7. Swelling During Pregnancy : American Pregnancy Association

8. As long as your taking a sudafed that doesn't have the same ingredient as your tynelol it should be just fine .

9. Could just be bladder irritation which is explained at one of the above links

10. Knee pain Pregnancy and Knee Pain - Knee Pain Center - EverydayHealth.com

11. Back Pain Back Pain : American Pregnancy Association

Hopefully these suggestions will help you out when will you be in your third trimester and when is your baby due to be born ?

November 21st, 2011, 02:49 PM
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I have seen most of the articles. I have been reading a lot about the symptoms I have. The articles you posted gave me a few ideas of new things to try. I appreciate your help.
November 21st, 2011, 03:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Your welcome .

December 5th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Kristin
Frustrating - I think what would be most frustrating about your story is the fact that the OB nurse line makes you feel stupid. Ugh - this is totally on them, not on you. You're in the right to call, obviously they're not thrilled about their job. Speaking of jobs, it sounds like you're moving around a lot and doing a lot of stuff that isn't helping your symptoms - is there any chance you could talk to boss and temporarily change your duties? I know some places that's not an option but just in case it could be I thought I'd mention it.

Good luck, I hope things get better.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search