1:10 chance of Downs Syndrome after Quad Screen...

Forum: Pregnancy Questions

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Questions LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 21st, 2011, 04:25 PM
I am 33yrs old and almost 17 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child (I have a healthy & beautiful almost 3yr old daughter). After having the quad screen done and having "abnormal/postive" results for possible DS with my daughter I told myself that I would not take that test again. After waiting 1 1/2 months to have a Level II ultrasound we were told there were no soft markers for DS and that an amnio an option, but not recommended. We opted out of doing the amnio. Needless to say I ended up having the quad screen done again with this preganancy and received a call from my OB that it came back "abnormal/postive" again. She told me that this time, my odds of DS are 1:10. With my daughter the odds were something like 1:80. I can't get in to have the Level II ultrasound until 12/02 and I am scheduled to have an amnio done right after the ultrasound. I have been reading these posts and any other posts I can find on every possible site to try to find some comfort. I was able to speak to an RN at the maternal/fetal medicine center I am going to on 12/02 and she said that she sees numbers like this all of the time and mostly the babies end up being totally healthy. I am terrifed and feel like I am going to have a nervous breakdown. My close friends and family keep telling me not to worry b/c I already had the false positive with my first pregnancy but nobody really knows what kind of torture this is, I keep breaking down into tears and I have next to no patience with my poor daughter. Has anyone been told they have 1:10 odds of DS from the quad screen and found out that everything is fine and healthy?
November 22nd, 2011, 08:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't really have much input except that quad screens are pretty common for inaccurate results as false postives and even sometimes for false negatives .

All you can do is wait to see how things look on the level 2 u/s and if there is any questionable thing then there will be a recommendation of amnio .

I don't think I did a quad screen when I was pregnant with my son since I did the amnio to see if he would have normal chromsomes or my chromsome deletion.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search