Nausea making my life hell; VISUAL cues make me nauseous

Forum: Pregnancy Questions

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Questions LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 14th, 2012, 11:53 AM
I was 12 weeks yesterday and I am still nauseous, all of the time. It's getting to the point now where it's really making me miserable. I've been prescribed metoclopramide (sorry, I don't know if it has another name) but I've given up taking it because it doesn't help, and in fact usually makes it worse. A few times it made me throw up, and I have a really bad phobia of throwing up. I found that taking it not only made the nausea worse, it made me scared all day long that I was going to throw up again. I couldn't keep taking it. I don't have a doctor, I don't have any money and I don't have health insurance, so I can't get another prescription. We're having to save up just so I can have my first prenatal appointment.

The worst thing about it is it's brought on not just by normal things like smells and certain foods, but sights and thoughts. The sight of plates in a sink, even if they're rinsed off (so they don't look dirty) makes me gag. The thought of throwing something in the trash makes me feel sick, even though it doesn't smell or anything. It lasts all day, and isn't any worse in the morning, I can't brush my teeth until mid-afternoon because the thought of putting a toothbrush in my mouth early in the morning makes me gag. But guess what? Sitting around with a dirty mouth for that long also makes me feel sick.

This is really starting to affect my life. I am completely helpless. I can't work (because I'm waiting on a green card) so my husband is the sole provider, and all I do is keep the house clean and tidy for him. I can't even do that anymore. He has to clean the kitchen; take out the trash; prepare breakfast; empty the vacuum; clean the bathrooms; put wet clothes in the dryer... It may sound like it's not a big deal, and he never complains, but I feel like I'm failing him. I just can't do anything because I constantly feel so sick.

What can I do?
January 20th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Seriously? NO ONE has any ideas? This is getting worse. I now can't even get off the couch because simple movement makes me want to throw up.

Edited AFTER EverydayJoy's post (thanks, btw) to add the following:

What I've already tried:

- Drinking peppermint tea
- Sucking on peppermint candies (worked at first, now it's completely ineffective)
- Eating crackers before I get up
- Taking my time getting up
- Sucking on ice cubes
- Trying desperately to convince myself that I feel great
- Deep breathing
- Closing my eyes and counting to 10 (with and without deep breathing)
- Drinking ginger ale
- Drinking flat soda
- Drinking regular, decaffeinated soda
- Staying hydrated
- Avoiding cooking and strong smells
- Sniffing something I like, like my favourite candle
- Lying down
- Napping
- Eating frequently (small snacks)
- My nausea medication

The only thing I haven't tried is ginger candy, and that's because we (literally) have tried everywhere that sells candy in a 15 mile radius and they are NOWHERE to be found. Not even in special sweet stores or health stores.

Last edited by acover4422; January 21st, 2012 at 04:36 PM.
January 20th, 2012, 08:43 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Have you tried Preggie Pops or any of the morning sickness losenges or teas out there? Mint tea is supposed to help too...I don't have it too bad myself at all so I'm not using any "helps" with it. But google morning sickness remedies and maybe you can find something that works for you. Sorry to hear you're so sick...but try not to feel too bad for your husband, it's not like you're intentionally being lazy or something. You are actually working very hard making a baby. He probably understands (as well as a MAN can understand lol) and is just trying to be supportive of you. Do you have any girlfriends that have been pregnant that you can talk with? Sometimes just crying a little on someone's shoulder and have them tell you that you will feel better soon can help a lot, at least emotionally.
I've found for me that being more rested helps, and that when I'm tired it's worse. Also I have had to be careful what I eat, nothing zesty or spicy or anything like that.
The last pregnancy I had to wait to brush too until midday or I'd always throw up every time I tried it in the morning. Would a breathmint get you through until when you could brush later? Maybe one of those little film kind that you put on your tongue and they dissolve?
Sounds like there's no tried-and-true remedy, just things that work for some and not for others. But, try what you can afford and see if you can find something that works for you. I know there's a tea for morning sickness that I think is made by Traditional Medicinals. Don't quote me on that tho
I truly hope you feel better very soon...hang in there, it's hard to do anything even with a little nausea, in my experience, so I can completely see why you can't really feel like you can do anything. It's not something that you can really push through, that just makes it worse. Activity seems to aggravate it for me. So resting is the best way to feel the least amount of nausea.
Good luck girlie!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
February 2nd, 2012, 08:08 PM
It's been three weeks since I made this thread. It's had nearly 50 views and only one reply. Meanwhile, I continue to feel worse and more and more depressed. Does no one have anything? Not even a friendly "you've tried everything I can think of, but I hope it gets better soon!" ?

You can't be serious.
February 8th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Londons Butterfly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Londons Butterfly Send a message via Yahoo to Londons Butterfly
I'm sorry you're having such a hard time with your morning sickness. Usually it gets better in your second trimester, but if it doesn't then you should probably see a doctor. I understand that may be hard for you to do because of the insurance and lack of money. Have you had your first appointment since you're first post?

Scarlett Diane

February 9th, 2012, 02:27 AM
Regular
Hiya hunny im so sorry noone was replying, im new here myself

im so sorry u feel so sick i remember when i was pregnant (my daughters 12 now) i suffered morning sickness from 4 weeks untill the day before i went into labour it was horrible, makes you deppressed and generally stops you enjoying the most important thing in your life(your pregnancy)

i tryed every remody/medcine/old wifes tales out there and found nothing to work except 2 things, milk eased it off for a cpl of hours........ and also a thing called pepto-bismol, (im from the uk and dont know wether u get it over there, but ive just looked online and you can buy it online, its horrible to take,tastes like tcp its bright pink and chalkey but i swear by it even now when im sick within 20 min of taking it the sickness stops

im sorry if it doesnt work for you as all women are different, but i just wanted to let you know how much i sympathise as ive been there myself hunny (((((huggs)))))

please keep me updated on how you are doing and if it works

bex x
March 1st, 2012, 02:31 PM
badgirl11381's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to badgirl11381
I had hypermesis when I was pregnant and could literally keep nothing at all down and I had to go to the hospital weekly for IV fluids and lost 80 (yes lost lol) during my pregnancy. I tried everything under the sun. They only thing that worked for me was Zofran. It is a drug that is prescribed to cancer patients to help with nausea. At first they gave me the pill form but I could not even keep the sip of water required down long enough for the pill to reach my system. Finally, they started me on the dissolving Zofran which dissolves in your mouth so it kicks in right away. Hope that helps and good luck.

Thank you Babydoll213 for my beautiful siggy
March 1st, 2012, 03:52 PM
missy123's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't normally come in here and I am sorry no one replied to you.

zophran is what worked for me. It is a prescription I got from my doctor. It was my lifesaver! Do you live in the USA? If so there are free clinics all over that you can go to and get free healthcare for you and your unborn baby.

Pregnancy Loss April 2009, September 2010
CP 10/2008, 1/3/11 {missing my babies every single day}Mommy to 4 Children - 3 boys ages 22, 21 and 18 & baby Scarlett
After 2.5 years TTC with 4 losses our Family was given the gift of Miss Scarlett
Do not ever give up hope...

Miss Scarlett... Our miracle girl still brings happy tears to my eyes.

March 6th, 2012, 03:22 PM
I suffered from hypermesis too, with all my pregnancies. I couldnt think of food, or eat or drink even water. The taste of water was gross to me! I had to drink water with squeezed lemon or vitamin water, and only a certain flavor. I know this is not healthy, but regular potato chips helped me with my nausousness. I think it was the salt that helped me. I totaly understand what your feeling like, and the days feel like years, but believe me, it will pass quickly.
March 7th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Sorry your going thru this and I hope your feeling better now.

Coke syrup ,lemon heads,red hots, ginger chews can be found online to purchase,sea bands.

If that don't work there are three m/s type medicines that are rx by doctors which are either reglan , zofran or phrengan .

Zofran is the most common one rx for hypermesis.

March 17th, 2012, 07:42 AM
yes, I'm taking Zofran right now, and it's helping!
March 24th, 2012, 10:01 PM
RedRose_xo's Avatar Veteran
Ginger crackers are the only thing that help me. I still get ms, event though I'm 17 weeks now. I had ms well into 3rd tri for my first pregnancy, but I'm hoping it won't last so long this time!
Good luck, it'll pass. In the meantime I hope you feel better :hugs:

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search