Smoking? Too late?

Forum: Pregnancy Questions

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Questions LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Lil_Mama2B's Avatar Veteran
Hi everyone! This is my first post! yay. Anyway, I am 20 years old, and this is my first pregnancy. I just found out the great news 2 days ago!

But to the point, I am a smoker, or WAS I should say. I have not had a cigarette since I saw those two lines on my pregnancy test. But I think I am already almost a month along.. Did I quit early enough? I'm really worried me smoking the first few weeks could have harmed my baby.. No more though!
Has anyone else smoked the first few weeks? Were your babies okay?

Thanks!
May 4th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
First of all CONGRATS!

Secondly, a million times over, GOOD FOR YOU to have quit smoking! That's a tough thing to do and it's great that you were able to stop now!

While it is always possible that there could be a negative effect from the smoking that you did in early pregnancy, I'm pretty sure it's quite low of a risk. The fact that you've stopped now is giving you and your baby a good start! I've also read that this early on, babies are pretty resiliant to low exsposures to things like smoking.

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

May 4th, 2012, 03:36 PM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
I agree, the important part is that you quit. You can't worry about it anyways, there's nothing to be done.

Pinterest
Flickr
May 4th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Thank you! and yes it is stupid to worry about it now, but of course I am. I've tried quitting 3 or 4 times before now but never went thru with it. I just think about that little innocent baby and I have no urge to smoke! it's great. Easiest way to quit smoking, and you dont notice the weight you'll gain from quitting cause your already gaining so much! LOL
Again thank you ladies, eases my mind a bit
May 5th, 2012, 01:15 PM
mojomama's Avatar Super Mommy
Liz- congratulations, both on the pregnancy and on quitting!
I smoked two packs a day when I got pregnant with my first. I quit the moment I saw two lines, but obviously she got around a month of exposure before I found out. she was a term baby, heath weight, healthy lungs, normal development. she is now nine and has mild adhd, but is otherwise perfect. same goes for my second kid. I managed not to start smoking again between my second and third; but was smoking when I discovered I was pregnant with my fourth. I didn't manage to quit entirely until my third trimester, although I cut way, way back. miraculously, she was my biggest baby, and is healthy and normal now...although I do feel guilty still, for not having been "stronger" and quitting in my first trimester. but the point of my story is, quitting at any point is great for your baby. the earlier the better, but making any effort towards making yourself healthier is a good thing for both you and your baby.
congrats again!
May 5th, 2012, 02:51 PM
mommyfirst11's Avatar Veteran
i never smoke but my bff was a drinker and she stpped after finding ut....the baby was born healthy
May 7th, 2012, 08:00 AM
THANK YOU!! thats exactly what I needed to hear
June 17th, 2012, 03:26 AM
.:Kati:.'s Avatar kyler's mommy
Good for you on quitting,i couldn't find the will power to stop when i got pregnant. I'm sure the baby is just fine. I smoked throughout my whole pregnancy and he's a very happy baby at almost 4months!

June 20th, 2012, 11:56 AM
MamaMiaxo's Avatar TTC PiNK
I'm sure everything is fine, since you stopped smoking ...It's not good to stress about it <3
June 24th, 2012, 04:42 PM
BabyFever84's Avatar Member
I'm not a smoker, however, my mother WAS. She smoked during the entirety of her 6 pregnancies (back in the 70's and 80's) including when she was pregnant on me and all of us came out perfectly fine. While I would never condone smoking during your pregnancy - I hope you find comfort in knowing that healthy babies can come from mothers who smoke for the entire 40 weeks. So, look at it this way, you quit super early on!! I think everything will be fine. =) Congrats on your little bean and quitting!!
June 25th, 2012, 04:11 AM
Smoking is harmful during pregnancy as it effects on growing baby's health also. But your issue is totally different. I think your baby is safe and you should stop smoking for your and your baby's good health.
June 29th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Great job on quitting! I quit as soon as I found out I was pregnant with my son and never looked back. He is healthy and now expecting a little brother or sister and I am STILL smoke free! It's true-imagining your tiny bundle makes it soooo much easier to quit!! Congrats!
July 9th, 2012, 04:53 PM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do not worry about it. Most likely (like 99% chance) there is no harm to the baby since you quit so early on in the pregnancy. I do NOT condone smoking while pregnant, but know several people who smoked a few cigarettes throughout the entire pregnancy and their babies were fine (But please do not start smoking again). Lots of people do lots of things deemed "harmful" during pregnancy BEFORE they know they are pregnant and things are fine, so don't beat yourself up. Congrats on your BFP!!

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search