How do i train myself to sleep on my side?

Forum: Pregnancy Questions

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Questions LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 11th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Proud mom since 12/27/12
I am 10w3d with my first, and pre-pregnancy, I slept on my stomach.
Here lately, if I sleep on my stomach though, I wake up hurting. Not bad, but enough to feel.

My mother said that I will eventually have to sleep on my side, but I don't like this discomfort I feel when I wake up from a night on my stomach.

When I do manage to sleep on my back, I wake up feeling just fine the next morning. I can fall asleep on my side, but I end up flopping over to my back or stomach.

I guess what I'd really like to know is how you managed to train yourself to sleep on your side?
June 11th, 2012, 04:29 PM
fairymommy's Avatar Veteran
I've never been a stomach sleeper, I've always rotated sides, and mostly back. Sometimes stomach. I wouldn't worry too much at this point in your preg, but definitely trying to get used to sleeping only on your side takes adjusting!! I hate that I cannot sleep on my back! (I am 35wks now), but still do wake up on my back almost every night!! I know that really no harm can come to my little one, unless I am on my back for hours and hours. Oddly, I woke up almost completely on my stomach the other week! That was weird and it took me a few sleepy seconds to realize why I felt so weird! lol
Get a body pillow that you can hug and place between your knees when lying on your side, and place another pillow (this may or may not require you to kick your other half out of the bed! lol) behind your back to prevent you from rolling over completely. Honestly, the more pillows I have around me that I can wedge myself into, the better! Especially as I have gotten bigger and bigger!
June 11th, 2012, 08:55 PM
promises1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have always been a stomach sleeper. When I was pregnant I got one of those body pillows and I would prop myself up so I wasn't laying flat on my stomach. With the pillow under my shoulder and hip allowed me to be comfortable and still kinda sleep on my stomach. The bigger my belly grew the better I was able to sleep on my side. I now sleep the same way so I don't squish my breast or leak milk all over. Good luck!

June 27th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Sleep anyway that is comfortable, you can't hurt the baby that way.
June 29th, 2012, 06:42 AM
Pillows, pillows, pillows! I create a little cocoon for myself-pillow between legs, pillow to snuggle in the front and one or two behind my back that I recline against. I am going to invest in a body pillow once I get more of a baby bump, because it really helped with my last pregnancy. Hope this helps!! :-)

Tags
discomfort , habits , sleep , stomach

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search