Can I dye my hair?

Forum: Pregnancy Questions

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jkgreen
  • 2 Post By Mrshall84

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Questions LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 11th, 2012, 08:44 AM
amcashes's Avatar Swollen Feet Mommy
I cannot stand seeing the roots anymore. So being 21 weeks pregnant can I dye my hair?

I am a crunchy stay at home mom to a , , and a my husband is in our eyes.
October 11th, 2012, 08:50 AM
MindyRambo's Avatar Super Mommy
You will likely get a lot of different answers on that one, but I would say you are pretty safe being out of the 1st trimester. This might help

http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-...gnancy_3273.bc

And this article is from JM

Hair Dye and Pregnancy

You think the only people who are people, are the people who look and think like you, but if you walk the footsteps of stranger, you'll learn things you knew... you never knew.
October 11th, 2012, 08:56 AM
amcashes's Avatar Swollen Feet Mommy
Thank you

I am a crunchy stay at home mom to a , , and a my husband is in our eyes.
October 11th, 2012, 11:13 AM
britthx3's Avatar Regular
I did with with both my boys and everything turned out fine, I would suggest that you do it in a well ventilated area because the fumes can make you sick
October 11th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I did with two of mine and I'm pregnant now, just dyed it last week. My hairstylist knows i'm pregnant. Everything is scary these days but women have done it for decades!

Brooke
October 13th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
I'm one who likes to be a little more cautious. I think that the more we can reduce the chemicals we absorb into our bodies, the better.

If the dye is not touching your scalp and you're in a VERY well ventilated area, that will likely be fine, but otherwise, I'd learn to live with the roots!

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

October 15th, 2012, 03:24 AM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I always have! Just waited until my second tri, like you're in and was in a well ventilated area. My pregnancies went just fine!

November 6th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Veteran
I didn't try it in my first trimester but I'm goin to do it now that im on my third tri. But as the ladies said, everything in their pregnancies turned out just fine...Maybe im just scared.
November 18th, 2012, 01:43 AM
Proud mom since 12/27/12
From what my doctor told me, dying your hair is safe after the first trimester but do not use bleach or any dyes with ammonia in them.
What I would do, honestly, is to talk to your doctor. I've heard some say bleaching is fine while others think hair dye at all is a complete no-no.
November 22nd, 2012, 06:44 AM
jkgreen's Avatar Awaiting Our First Bundle
I'm a hairstylist.. and while I respect those who do not feel comfortable coloring their hair while pregnant.. The way most of us feel is that, if we can be pregnant and apply it, breathe it in, and our babies are completely healthy, then you can have it on your head. Also, because of the raging hormones and the additional heat you body creates, you might not get the results you wanted. But everyone is different..
breezy8283 likes this.
November 22nd, 2012, 10:12 PM
Veteran
but still i havent dyed my hair at 32 weeks haha, maybe Im too scared
December 11th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Mrshall84's Avatar Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkgreen View Post
I'm a hairstylist.. and while I respect those who do not feel comfortable coloring their hair while pregnant.. The way most of us feel is that, if we can be pregnant and apply it, breathe it in, and our babies are completely healthy, then you can have it on your head. Also, because of the raging hormones and the additional heat you body creates, you might not get the results you wanted. But everyone is different..
I also am a cosmetologist and I agree 100%. There are so many different factors with each pregnancy high risk any meds you may be taking ect…. as a general people say not to dye your hair. But if your dr gives the ok then I don’t see why there is any reason why you can't. Like the others mentioned because of the change in hormones and body temp you may not get the results you want and your skin could get more irritated than it generally would but in my experience and opinion that’s the worst that could happen. Just remember to be in a well ventilated space and if you are having any reserves just call your dr
jkgreen and breezy8283 like this.
December 29th, 2012, 07:50 PM
I've dyed my hair a couple of times so far, once in my 2nd trimester and once again a couple of weeks ago. I also dyed my hair during my first pregnancy, all though I had to go to a different salon because the salon I went to then no one would do it for me because I was pregnant, which really just made me furious with them.

Like the couple of ladies have said that are cosmetologist, the color might not turn out like you want. I normally do different shades of auburn and red and it seems when I'm pregnant it has a more of an orange tint and doesn't last as long as it normally does so I stick with browns which seem to work better.
January 6th, 2013, 09:09 PM
my doctor said it was fine, but if you are worried, there are other alternatives, such as ammonia free hair dye or henna hair dye, which only comes in super dark colors or super bright colors. Always a safe alternative. I personally would not use those dyes in a box (like the ones you bye at wal-mart) simply because they are pungent and may cause a really bad headache. I would talk to your hair stylist and see what they can offer. My hair stylist has been great so far with me being pregnant, she tries her best to keep things ventilated, and always uses new combs and brushes on me. Just go with your instinct everything will be fine.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search