Help with HCG levels!!

Forum: Pregnancy Questions

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Questions LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 19th, 2012, 07:41 AM
Hi Ladies, I had a question about my HCG levels. I went to the Dr because of pelvic pain and thought I had a cyst since I have been on Nuva Ring for 6 months and found out I tested positive on a urine preg. The NP freaked out and sent me for a STAT ultrasound and blood work, and said it was probably an ectopic preg and no to leave the office. After 5 hrs (OMG!) of crying and waiting in the office she sent my home to wait for the results since there was "problems getting my results reviewed". She finally called me back that evening (11/15) and said my blood level was HCG 1209 and said she thought 4 weeks. To repeat the blood work the next afternoon as my ultrasound was inconclusive (they didn't see anything). And since it was going to be Friday that I wouldn't get a call until Saturday. I worried all weekend and never got a call. So this morning I drove straight to the office to get some answers. The NP didn't even speak with me and sent the Medical Assistant out with a referral and said your numbers really didnt change (there were HCG 2182) so follow up at a GYN. I came home and started researching and I'm so confused. Based on charts online those numbers are too high for 4 weeks and they almost doubled in 24 hrs and the web says should double every 72? (But according to my NP thats not much change? I took my ring out Oct 14th - Oct 21 and had a period. So I should only be 4 weeks since last period, 5 on 11/21. So are my levels high for what they should be? And if I'm further along, is there still a chance they missed it on the ultrsound. Sorry for the book, but I'm freaking out! I don't know whether I'm about to loose a baby and have surgery or if I should be celebrating that everything is OK!?
Thanks
November 19th, 2012, 09:39 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Those numbers aren't too high, nor are they doubling abnormally.

Average HCG numbers vary WIDELY. Looking at charts, when you aren't sure exactly when you conceived is rather unhelpful. When it comes to birth control and getting pregnant like that, you really can't depend on when. You could have ovulated on your "period" (which was likel just breakthrough bleeding and not an actual period). Your body could have ovulated shortly after removal, instead of the standard two weeks. And the numbers aren't so far off to make that an unreasonable thought.

It would be impossible to see anything on ultrasound with HCG numbers of only 1200. So that is not atypical. It would be hard, if not impossible, to see anything even at 3000 or 4000. Most doctors wait until 6000, when a sac could visualized. I don't know why they automatically jumped to an ectopic, maybe it's a risk with nuvaring. I don't know. But they won't either until a week or so.

But, it sounds like your blood results were doubling in 28ish hours, which mine always do too (anywhere from 24-72 hours is normal For doulbing times). It's a good change for somewhere in the four-weeks pregnant area (instead of four weeks even, i would guess four and a few days, which means A LOT when it comes to HCG, even if a couple days doesn't seem to be that big of a deal.

I would follow up with a GYN in a week. If no bleeding or other pain happens until then. They should be able to tell you a lot more information. But for now, I would consider it a healthy pregnancy and not flip out about anything being wrong. Take care of yourself as though you are pregnant. And try to be patient until next week. But I think, despite what the nurses/doc said, you are probably looking at a pretty normal early pregnancy right now. At least from what I can see (but I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on tv).
November 19th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Veteran
Like pp said, beta range numbers vary dramatically, just look at the ranges on this chart:

Normal Beta Number Ranges

And those numbers of yours def doubled so that looks nice Some ladies have ranges double faster than others, and pretty much everybody worries about them.

Your story sounds a lot like me I went in and was told I had a positive blood test, but the couldn't feel any changes to my uterus (I was in the clinic for sharp pains in my pelvic region, so she was palpitating). She told me she thought it was probably a tubal pregnancy and sent me off to the hospital. The ultrasound technician at the hospital couldn't see anything, so they referred me to an OB to have beta levels monitored and see how things progressed.

The pain stopped, the betas went up, and my beautiful daughter will turn 11 in 2 weeks

I think that the advice pp gave about waiting and taking care of yourself as if you were pregnant is great. (((hugs))) and best of luck during this nervous time!

Tags
blood test , hcg , pregnant during period

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search