hair dye??

Forum: Pregnancy Questions

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By breezy8283

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Questions LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Just bought some L'oreal Superior Preference hair dye in Medium Auburn. Now I have heard mixed things about this, NO it isn't good, Don't do it as it gets in your bloodstream. I am 12 weeks and 3 days pregnant. I wanted to do it tonight, can you give me some answers on this??
January 19th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
I would not do it. I'm more on the cautious side.

It's really hard to avoid having it touch your scalp when you do it at home. absorbing hairdye during pregnancy kind of freaks me out. Not to mention that dark hairdyes increase bladder cancer ..so it's unknown what it might do to an unborn child.

You also have to worry about fumes!

If you must dye your hair, I'd see a professional hair stylist.

again, I tend to err on the side of caution, others will likely tell you it's fine..but personally it's one of those sacrifices I'd make during pregnancy.

January 30th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Weight Loss Expert
Better be safe than sorry. Even beauticians on the salon don't want to risk on doing this.
February 2nd, 2013, 02:30 PM
Kholmes04's Avatar Veteran
I hope it isnt a bad thing, I didnt know I was pregnant and dyed my hair on Monday, found out on wednesday/Thursday I was pregnant

February 5th, 2013, 03:07 PM
i also dyed my hair last week and found out i was prego on friday. they say it's safe than its not. idk i know you can get dyes where they dont have certain chemicals in them. i would honestly ask your ob and see what they say. My hair is magenta and the dye is fading and i would like to go back to a natural color but i also dont want to risk it with the baby. so if you find out let us know. gdluck
February 12th, 2013, 06:04 PM
If I were you I will never do it. Stay away from chemicals through out your pregnancy or even after giving birth (If you intend to breastfeed). Whatever you does to your body, your baby is affected. Although I did not heard of a concrete study to show the effects of hair products to unborn babies, but it is better to be sure, right? So stay away from it.
March 9th, 2013, 03:14 PM
breezy8283's Avatar Member
As a hair stylist myself for the last 13 years I can say I've heard all different view points and opinions from my clients about what there doctor's have said regarding the taboo "do I color while pregnant or not" issue. I am a hair stylist that performs all services. I honestly think as long as your being smart and cautious you will be just fine. The hair colors used by trained, licensed professionals have also come a long way in how they are formulated for safety. A well ventilated salon and a hair color line that is low to zero ammonia would be sufficient. Getting your hair foiled instead of a base color retouch is another option since color sits in the foil and doesn't come in contact with your scalp. I think if you're considered high risk that's a no brainer to avoid as many factors as possible. I am newly pregnant with our first child (6 weeks) and I can't quit my profession just because I am pregnant. Many hair stylists have been having babies while working and things seem to turn out just fine. As for safety concerns there is always a risk in anything but there has been no hard documented studies confirming this is unsafe. I think it's a decision each individual has to make for themselves. Hair a lot of times can be unpredictable during pregnancy due to hormone switches so doing something dramatic is never a smart move. After all we all want to make the best decisions for the best outcome and safety of our little ones but we can't all live in a bubble either.
Urchin, jkgreen and QL1516 like this.
April 2nd, 2013, 07:29 AM
jkgreen's Avatar Awaiting Our First Bundle
I completely agree with breezy... As a hairstylist myself as well, 85% of my clientele receive chemical services.. My pregnancy has been very healthy. I also get my hair colored every 8 weeks.

When my clients ask my advice, I do tell them to ask their physician. Mine just advised me to wait until after the first trimester which was fine for me because my hair was colored 11 days before I found out.

More advice: you are the parent, and that is your baby. Do not do anything you don't feel comfortable with.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search