Questions about prenatal vitamins and folic acid.

Forum: Pregnancy Questions

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Questions LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 14th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Hello Everyone!

I'm new here and i have a questions.

I am pregnant 11 weeks and have been taking prenatal multivitamins (which contain folic acid 600 mcg), omega3579 and folic acid 400 mcg. Is it safe to take addition of folic acid? I did the same thing with my last pregnancy.

And 10 days ago I took different prenatal vitamins ( I've got a sample when first visit Dr.) that contain folic acid 1,000 mcg + 400 mcg addition. I'm worried if it is overdo. It will cause the baby defect?

I read today a lot people said if it included in multivitamins do not take.

Thank you y'all.

Last edited by Mom-4bb; July 14th, 2013 at 09:18 PM.
July 15th, 2013, 08:22 AM
CrunchyMommaTo2's Avatar Proud Momma
At least 400mcg is recommended with 600-800mcg being the target. Over 1000mcg of folic acid is not recommended unless you have had a previous pregnancy affected by defects of the brain and spine. I would stick with the prenatal that has 600mcg of folic acid. You will still gain some extra through your diet.

July 17th, 2013, 06:11 PM
It's best to just take your prenatal vitamins and get additional folic acid naturally through healthy foods. Stuff you get in pills doesn't absorb as efficiently as eating it fresh anyway. Can't go wrong with eating healthy : )
September 16th, 2013, 10:31 AM
I read and trust Mayo Clinic. And they suggest that you choose a prenatal vitamin represented in these guidelines:

*Folic acid — 400 to 800 micrograms
*Calcium — 250 milligrams
*Iron — 30 milligrams
*Vitamin C — 50 milligrams
*Zinc — 15 milligrams
*Copper — 2 milligrams
*Vitamin B-6 — 2 milligrams
*Vitamin D — 400 international units

However, it is important that you keep in mind that more vitamins aren't necessarily better. Don't overload unless your doctor recommends it. For example, if you are vegetarian or anemic, your health care provider might suggest you take additional supplements, but only do so under their instruction. Taking megadoses could be harmful to your developing baby and that's the opposite of your intent!

They also emphasize that vitamins are supposed to complement a nutritious diet. Make sure that you are still eating right. Vitamins are not intended to replace consuming fresh, wholesome foods.
October 24th, 2013, 04:30 AM
I think it is essential to point out that folate (a natural vitamin essential for pregnancy) is NOT the same thing as folic acid (a synthetic form of folate which is difficult for the body to use and in some cases can cause problems). Most prenatal vitamins use folic acid so watch out for what you are buying, they are not all created equally - always read the label.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search