Any advice on flu shots while pregnant?

Forum: Pregnancy Questions

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Pregnancy Questions LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 12th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Erin.Berg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello,

I am just shy of 6 weeks along and starting to worry about getting sick while pregnant. I have never gotten a flu shot before and have not gotten the flu since I was exposed to sick classmates in college (about 6 years ago). I now work from home and consider myself at a very low risk of getting sick. I also have a wicked awesome immune system. I have read that the flu shot is recommended for pregnant woman and one of the benefits is protecting your baby for up to 6 months after they are born.

I have also read horror stories about flu shots having mercury which greatly increases the chances of your child being born with autism. I don't plan on making a decision until I discuss this with my Dr. but this is also my first time being pregnant and would love any insight/advice.

How do you all feel about the flu shot while pregnant?
November 12th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
The vaccine and autism debate has pretty well been dis-proven. So don't worry about that issue.

Now, that being said, there are still ingredients in vaccines that some will find troublesome. Personally, I was not comfortable getting the flu shot while I was pregnant, so I didn't get it.

I would say you're pretty low-risk due to your work-at-home situation.

The best thing to do is research a bit on your own and come to your own conclusion. THere is no wrong answer, just what's right for you!

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

November 13th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Veteran
I don't believe that vaccines in general are safe due to the additives, and do not intend to get any vaccines.
November 16th, 2013, 08:13 PM
I would recommend getting the flu shot to protect yourself and your baby. When you do get one, you need to make sure that it is the preservative free one because that is the one that is normally recommended for pregnant women. I am a pharmacist and give immunizations every day and I got one myself so I help that helps you make your decision!
November 17th, 2013, 07:33 AM
RedSoxFan84's Avatar Veteran
I got mine around 8 weeks. I am a registered nurse and come in contact with a lot of sick people, it doesn't make sense for me to put my baby or myself at risk. Like the PP said, ask for a preservative free vaccine. Do NOT get the nasal spray as that is a live virus. I had absolutely no problems following vaccination and I'm glad I got it.

Thanks Vicki... for my beautiful siggy!
November 25th, 2013, 08:06 AM
LUSHaye's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm glad someone asked this. I was also debating on the flu shot. I work with kids and a few of them have been getting pretty sick over the past few weeks. I have an appointment tomorrow so I'll talk to my midwife about it and see what she says, but I am sort of leaning towards it. I've never had any adverse affects when getting the flu shot in the past (though it has been YEARS since I got one since nothing ever happened), so hopefully that continues if I do get it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search