Crazy Kegel Challenge

Forum: Getting Ready for Baby

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Getting Ready for Baby LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 28th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
Reminder - this is one of our 6 week (Half Trimester) challenges! Feel free to start whenever you are able. There will be a weekly Challenge Check-in thread where you can let us know which challenge(s) you are doing and how you are progressing.

Crazy Kegel Challenge
There's a good chance you've already heard of Kegels - they are the exercises that help to tone the muscles in your pelvic floor. These help when delivering (helps avoid tearing!), during and after pregnancy (no one wants to pee when they sneeze!), and also when you are DTD. This challenge will take 6 weeks to introduce you to different kinds of kegels and help you to work up the strength in your pelvic floor.

Week 1 - The Standard Kegel
If you have never done a kegel before, the time to start is now! To get a feel for it, the next time you are in the restroom, try to stop your urine in mid-stream. The muscles that you use to do this are your kegel muscles. For the first week, we are going to start easy. If you've never done a single Kegel before, try to stop and start your urine flow four or five times each time you use the restroom. For those who have already done kegels, do 50 per day (you can spread these out in the day).

Week 2 - Raise the Reps
As with any strength training exercise, the more reps you do the more you are toning the muscles. If you are brand-new to kegels, do 10 reps 4 times per day (a total of 40 reps a day) in the beginning. Work up throughout the week to as many as you can. If you are experienced with kegels already, do 50 reps 4 times per day.

Week 3 - Hold It
This week we are going to be practicing endurance (sounds just like strength training for biceps, right? ) For each kegel that you do (using the same reps as in week 2), hold the kegel contraction for 5 seconds. Keeping the number of reps the same as week 2, increase the time you hold the exercise as long as you can.

Week 4 - Going UP!
This week is a little bit trickier because we are isolating certain portions of the muscles. Maintain the same rep numbers as week 2, but this time we are going to only partially squeeze - for example, envision the kegel muscles as an elevator. Tense the first section (second floor), hold for a second, and then tense progressively more of the muscles (third - fifth floors), holding for a second between each new level. Once you've reached maximum tension, slowly lower the muscles back down until you reach the basement level where the muscles are completely relaxed. Again, we are aiming for the same number of reps as week 2. Bonus points if you are able to take it to the second basement level (contracting down slightly)!

Week 5 - Around the World
The kegel muscles are spread throughout the genital area, so this week we are going to work on tensing the muscles from the front to the back and then back to front again. Once again, we are keeping the same number of reps here.

Week 6 - Wherever, Whenever
Kegels are easiest to do when you are sitting down, but another way to improve the tone of the muscle is to practice doing the same number of kegel reps in a variety of positions. Try lying down, sitting up, standing, walking, squatting, sitting Indian style - wherever you are, whenever try doing Kegels!

Victory Lap
Wow, how did those six weeks go? Is your DH/SO able to notice a difference? (My first time going through this circuit, DH noticed after week 2!). Will you be able to keep up your Kegels through the rest of your pregnancy and beyond? This isn't just an exercise for pregnant women, you know - it's helpful at any time!

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
May 3rd, 2011, 10:22 PM
robinmichele87's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is awesome! I've never known how to do one other than stopping the flow of urine. And since I've had some trouble with leakage since having my son..I'm totally trying this challenge. Hopefully it'll help me with delivery for Archer as well! Woot..6 weeks to a stronger vajayjay! lol
May 4th, 2011, 05:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
It's not guarantee that it'll stop leakage, but you'll definitely be well on your way! As for helping delivery Archer, it really helped me to deliver Dalton when I did this during my first pregnancy. Just remember - kegels should be done by ALL women ALL the time, not just during pregnancy! (Plus, your hubby will be in for a good surprise when he returns )

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom

Tags
challenge , exercise , kegel

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search