Do you garden?

Forum: Getting Ready for Baby

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Getting Ready for Baby LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
Do you garden? What is your favorite garden - vegetable, herb, flower or other?

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
March 27th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we did our first garden when we moved here to the acreage last spring, just vegs and some flowers. This year I have a greenhouse now, so we can't wait for the snow to melt
March 27th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Mana's Avatar Loving My Baby Girl <3
Send a message via AIM to Mana Send a message via MSN to Mana
I attempted a garden last year, but it did not go very well We tried some flowers and veggies, but neither DH or I had any idea what we were doing. We put the seeds directly in the ground, watered them, and then there was sprouting... but we couldn't tell them apart from the weeds! All tiny plants seem to look the same I didn't want to pull anything up, and eventually we sort of gave up on the whole thing. The carrots managed to tough it out and flourish, and we ended up with a pretty respectable crop, but everything else seemed to be eaten by weeds.

This year we're going to be starting some veggies indoors so when we put them in the ground we'll know exactly where they are and what they look like I think we have tomatoes, green beans, more carrots, some type of squash, a lettuce of some sort, sweet basil, and a couple others. I also want to grow zucchini but we don't have any seeds yet. Some of them I'll keep in containers on the deck so I can look after them more easily. I'll be hugely pregnant by the time it's warm enough to put them outside, not the best time to be on my hands and knees digging in the dirt!

March 27th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Happy Mommy
just flowers, Lilies are my fav
March 28th, 2011, 04:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
So exciting Marie!

Mana - that's a great idea to both start them indoors and to keep some in containers close by. I'm not really looking forward to harvesting hugely pregnant either

Ro - I have never had any luck with lillies! Well, we have ghost lillies that were planted by our house's former owner, but other than those...

I put in our Spring veggie garden the last couple of weeks. We have lettuce, spinach, peas, radishes, red beets, broccoli, and brussel sprouts. I'm going to get a bit more lettuce seed and then we'll be done with the spring garden. I'm excited to be doing an herb garden along one side of my house this year - my herbs are usually in with my veggies, but I'm trying a different garden layout this year and want more space. I'm planning to have tomatoes, cucumbers (but only a few, I'll be buying my pickling cukes), peppers, green beans, squash, and watermelon this year. I decided I'll be canning this year too, which I had initially nixed due to the newborn presence, but my mom is retiring after this year (she works as a school lunch lady, but had been working at a private school since my sister went to school, so she found out this year she lost her retirement from the public schools and my sister will be graduating from the school she works at, so... she's got a mile long list of things she's going to be doing. She's just like me btw - right now she's making maple syrup, having already conquered goat soap and goat cheese and will next be taking on beekeeping ) so we'll be able to head over to her place to do a of canning, which has a double bonus because there are cool animals for DS to play with AND they have geothermal, so air conditioning and we don't.

March 29th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Super Mommy
I try and fail EVERY year. I can grow weeds like no other though. Does that count? LOL
March 30th, 2011, 05:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You know, dandelions are a very healthy green!

March 30th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by way2gomom View Post
You know, dandelions are a very healthy green!
LOL - I would be happy with that since they have a nie yellow or white flower, but nope I get the stupid grass type. Arg!

Oh well it is fun to keep trying every year.
March 30th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Mana's Avatar Loving My Baby Girl <3
Send a message via AIM to Mana Send a message via MSN to Mana
I'm planning on harvesting some dandelions this spring before they bloom. I also want to try out some dandelion wine. They grow everywhere in our yard so I figure I might as well take advantage of them

March 30th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Awww, bummer! My mom makes dandelion wine.

March 30th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Super Mommy
Wait, you can make wine out of them too. I feel so ripped off right now. LOL
March 31st, 2011, 05:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes! LOL They are also a valuable herb for medicinal uses: Dandelion

Tags
garden , gtky

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search