Do you have pets?

Forum: Getting Ready for Baby

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Getting Ready for Baby LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 31st, 2011, 05:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
Do you have any pets? What steps will you take to get them ready for baby?

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
March 31st, 2011, 07:45 AM
Mana's Avatar Loving My Baby Girl <3
Send a message via AIM to Mana Send a message via MSN to Mana
Yes! I have two kitties, Nibbler and Jinx I want to get a dog in the not too distant future too. I think it's important for kids to grow up with pets around.

I'm not exactly sure how to prepare the cats for the baby. They are one of the reasons I want to get her room set up early, so they have plenty of time to adjust to that (her room used to be "their" room with scratchers and boxes and stuff to play with, but they get the attic now), and since we only live a few minutes from the hospital I'm going to send DH home with some blankets or something that Nova has used so the cats get a little time to become familiar with her smell. Other than that, and making sure we keep their feeding times the same and still give them lots of love and attention, I don't think we'll have much problem. Our cats have always adjusted pretty well to new situations.

We're actually more worried that Jinx might get too cozy with the baby She loves to be near faces and to be on people. We'll just need to keep a close eye on her around the baby, which we'd do anyway. Nibbler will probably just keep his distance, especially once Nova gets older and mobile x)

Nibbler is the tan one and he's about 4 years old, and Jinx is the black one and she's around 9 months. They adore each other, it's the cutest thing ever

March 31st, 2011, 10:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
AWWWW It sounds like you are doing pretty much the same as we did for the first one! We have a Jack Russell Terrier named Io, she's 8 years old this year. I can hardly believe it... anyway, for Dalton we had a baby doll that we carried around and DH brought home a sleeper from the hospital for her to smell. She was my baby before we had Dalton, but now she's his dog - even though she sometimes doesn't like it when he's really focused on playing with her, she does love to nap near him.

March 31st, 2011, 12:07 PM
Super Mommy
Those are cute Kitty's!

I have 2 dogs {4, 2} and 1 cat{6}. The dogs, I am working on their barking right now. Only because little and so very yappy. I am not the type to make the house dead silent for a sleeping baby because I learned that doesn't work, but their bark can be a little startling even for me.

My cat is a freak for my DD, so I am not to worried about cozying to baby to much. My 4 yr old will avoid for the most part too because that is just him and the 2 yr is still a little hyper and a mamma's boy so he will need a little watching, but I am not worried.
March 31st, 2011, 12:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh yeah, we don't do the whole silence for baby thing either... it would be impossible for me for one thing

March 31st, 2011, 03:40 PM
Mana's Avatar Loving My Baby Girl <3
Send a message via AIM to Mana Send a message via MSN to Mana
What kind of little dogs are they? I've been wanting a little dog just because I don't really want to have to clean up after a big dog x) Except I really want to adopt and rescues will almost never let you adopt a small dog if you have little kids

April 1st, 2011, 05:53 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we have one shih tzu named Mylo, we had him before we had kids, he's aware of his place on the food chain-he's very good with kids
April 4th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Happy Mommy
we have a dog and a horse.... I don't know what I'll do to get teh doggie ready, but the horse well he's getting ready already as i get bigger and has to deal with me yelling (not really) at him to be nice to me, I'm not as apt as I was last summer
April 5th, 2011, 05:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy

Mana - Lil Dog Rescue on PetFinder recommends this book on small dogs with kids:

Quote:
Thinking of getting a new puppy or dog if you have kids? How about if you have toddlers or pre-schoolers? What about adding a new baby human to your dogs life, (if you can do this right, your dog won't have to come to us!) Then this is the book for you!!! It's: "Dogs and Kids, Parenting tips", by Bardi McLennan, from Howell book house. This is one of the best books ever! It's gonna save you time, money and heartbreak! It will also help you understand why we won't adopt small dogs to families with small kids! About 50% of the small dogs turned over to our rescue come from families who buy small dogs for small kids and the dogs start snapping. The highest risk for facial dog bites in children, is the age group 1 thru 4 years of age! A two year old child can only act like a two year old and the small dog ends up protecting itself, sooner or later, with it's teeth.
Lil Dog Rescue

April 5th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have 2 dogs (Jack Rusell and a pug) and bf has a cat. I think the cat will be fine. He really doesnt care about anyone in the house unless he is hungry/thirsty/or thinks he needs a petting (which is about every few days). For the dogs we plan to bring home one of her swaddlers and let them smell it. Her room has always been off limits (since if Jack is gonna have an "accident" he will go hide it in a room he knows we dont use).

I am not worried about either dog being around the baby. I know for a fact they wouldnt do anything to her. Jack was around my nephews both as babies (and they were typical babies to him). He will just walk away if its not to his liking. Allie has only known the older kids but she just stays away from them if they are getting too touchy for her liking.

I am more worried about Allie's (the pug) mental state once the baby comes home. She has been my baby! We got her from a rescue about 2 years ago. She really doesnt like to be in a different room than me. she bonded with me immediately and doesnt seem to want to be separated from me (I think she would come to work with my every day if she could).

http://hkystar.blogspot.com

April 5th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like you have planned well! My JRT was my baby too... but she does love Dalton (even now that he's almost 3!). She does really well around him and actually her mom is my sister's dog and she's the calmest JRT I've ever seen!

I think your pug will probably do well. It's going to be an adjustment for you too, because now she might move around a peg in your heart. Not that you are going to love her any less, but the new baby will take a more principle role. Of course, that might not happen too - it could be just me!

March 30th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Yes I have 2 Dogs it is just amazing to have then they are Comical every day they do something funny which makes whole family to laugh.

Buy Dog Accessories of better and good quality.
May 30th, 2012, 10:02 PM
RoseRed92's Avatar Veteran
I've got a cat that's pretty finicky about who she likes and who she'll let pet her. She might have a problem with the baby, so I thought about bringing a blanket to the hospital to swaddle the baby in after he's born so she can kinda get used to sleeping near his smell, since she'll be around him a lot. Anybody figure that'll work for a cat? I hear it works for dogs.
July 13th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Super Mommy
We have a cat and two dogs. The cat stays on the screened in porch (her choice) so I'm not worried about her being around the baby. Sadly, I'm not sure the lab will be around for the baby (I'm in my first month of TTC). He's 13 which is ancient for labs. Which sucks because he is the BEST kid dog I've ever met. The golden retriever (yes, I have two 100+ lb dogs...wanna guess what I spend on kibble?) is the one I worry the most about. We just got him three weeks ago. He's a really sweet dog and good with older kids, but he's two. Which means he's still a bit on the hyper side. He's also a leaner. When you're petting him he will lean against you as hard as he can. We're his third home in his two years so I think some of that is seperation anxiety and should subside after awhile. Once the nursery is set up no one will be allowed in it unsupervised. Obviously, no one will be allowed around the baby unsupervised either. I'm sure I'll send BF home with clothing to get them used to the smell. I like the idea of carrying a doll around to get them used to a small human. Maybe I can get one that cries to get them used to that...

"Shake it up now, Sugaree. I'll meet you at the Jubilee. And if that Jubilee don't come. Maybe I'll meet you on the run."
July 19th, 2012, 04:55 AM
Super Mommy
At the moment, we have 4 cats and 2 dogs. My SIL, her boyfriend, and her son live with us right now, so they will move out before baby is born bringing the cats and one dog with them. I'm not concerned about my pitbull. He basically grew up with my twins. He has had his fair share of ear-pulling and such.
Gavyn & Kendric - 8
Joseph - 18 months
Step-mom to:
Kiersten - 8
July 30th, 2012, 12:08 AM
Regular
I have pets but I don't allow a little baby to touch them. I'm afraid of getting them allergic.
July 30th, 2012, 01:53 AM
newmommysarah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have a dog, a cat and three chinchillas.
Unfortunately my DH hates the cat and is refusing to let her in the house once the baby is here - hes convinced she is going to sit on him or scratch him or some nonsense so im in the process of trying to find her a new home The dog on the other hand is still being spoilt rotten!
We are doing lots of little things to try and get our dog prepared for having a baby in the house - at random times in the day i turn on the baby bouncer and sterilizer so she is used to the sounds. I've had my SIL bring her baby girl round a few times so Maggie can get used to babies crying (that child cries a lot!) and I've been pushing the pram round the house and randomly leaving it in different rooms - that freaked her out at first but she is used to seeing it it now. We have also been leaving a playmat on the floor and letting Maggie know she is not to sit on it. I plan on taking an extra muslin to the hospital with me when i have Noah and giving it to DH to take home with him on the second night - that way Maggie can get used to Noah's scent before she meets him.
I'm still a little torn over how to handle the introductions though - some people say to have the baby in the house when the dog gets back from a walk and others say let the dog see you bring the baby into the house. I guess it depends on how tired i am and if DH can be bothered to take Maggie out for a quick walkie when we are just back from the hospital!

...and baby number 2
October 26th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Super Mommy
We have a pitbull and a cat. I'm not worried about the dog. He was around my twins when they were babies and we never had any problems. I'm not sure how the cat will do, but we are going to have her fixed in case we need to have her outside again.
Gavyn & Kendric - 8
Joseph - 18 months
Step-mom to:
Kiersten - 8
October 29th, 2012, 03:48 PM
teeny0518's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Pitbull here too! She is the biggest wuss, my SIL's puppies can beat her up haha. I think she will do great with a baby! She is the sweetest dog!

***Thanks to Vicki for my awesome signature!!!***

1st OB Appt: 01/02 (6w0d) - Pregnancy confirmed!
2nd OB Appt/Ultrasound: 01/14 (7w5d) - Baby's heart rate 131
3rd OB Appt: 02/11 (11w5d) - Baby's heart rate 166
4th OB Appt: 03/11 (15w5d) - Baby's heart rate 150
Elective Gender Scan: 03/16 (16w2d) - It's a GIRL!!!
5th OB Appt/Anatomy Scan: 04/08 (19w5d) - Baby's heart rate 155
6th OB Appt: 05/06 (23w5d)- Baby's heart rate 148
7th OB Appt/Glucose Test: 06/03 (27w5d) -Baby's heart rate 144, Passed Glucose Test!
8th OB Appt: 06/14 (29w2d) - Baby's heart rate 140
9th OB Appt: 06/24 (30w5d) - Baby's heart rate 135
3D/4D Ultrasound: 06/29 - She looks like her Daddy!
10th OB Appt: 07/10 (33w0d) - Baby's heart rate 131
11th OB Appt: 07/22 (34w5d) - Baby's heart rate 140
12th OB Appt: 08/05 (36w5d) - Baby's heart rate 136; 2.5 cm dilated/80% effaced!
13th OB Appt: 08/12 (37w5d) - Baby's heart rate 145; 3 cm dilated/80% effaced
14th OB Appt: 08/19 (38w5d) - Baby's heart rate 145; 3.5 cm dilated/80% effaced
Birthday 08/21/2013 - 6lbs, 12 oz, 19 inches long and PERFECT!
November 1st, 2012, 07:37 PM
Super Mommy
We have 3 American Pit Bull Terriers and they do wonderfully with my kids. The only problem we ever had with them and the children was when my first son came home my girl noticed the lack of attention and started having accidents non top to get it back and one of my boys doesn't notice anything below his eye level. I swear he is oblivious to the world unless he is willing to acknowledge it. I did agility training with him though and he has become much more aware of where his feet are and doesn't step on my current boys anymore. I am very hopeful he won't have to be kenneled so much when this one is born and starts to do tummy time since now he pays attention. Teddy my oldest is just wonderful. He loves children of all ages and lets my kids try to ride him and pull on him.

As far as training them for when baby comes we never did any special training or brought blankets home. I trained all of my dogs are trained in basic obedience. When we brought our first son home all the dogs were kenneled and I would sit in front of them and hold the baby down in front of them for them to sniff and see but not have access to. Then we introduced them one at a time to the baby. With my second son we didn't do anything different or special outside of their routine. Just treated it like life as normal and they were good.

Tags
gtky , pets

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search