Natural ways to induce labor

Forum: Getting Ready for Baby

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Getting Ready for Baby LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 2nd, 2011, 04:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
Would you or will you try any natural ways to induce labor?
What are you planning to try?

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
June 2nd, 2011, 07:31 AM
Mana's Avatar Loving My Baby Girl <3
Send a message via AIM to Mana Send a message via MSN to Mana
Only if I'm facing having to be induced by drugs, I would much rather try some more natural ways first. I don't think I'll be trying to get her out otherwise, like I'm definitely not going to start doing anything around 37-38 weeks like I've seen some people do... I'm already big and uncomfortable, and I might decide it's about time for her to GTFO once I hit my due date But not before.

I've heard a lot about castor oil, but that sounds awful so I think that would be a last natural resort. I might spend a day walking, having sex with some nipple stimulation, with a nice heap of eggplant parmesan for dinner, which I love anyway.. sounds like a pretty good day actually Also would give acupressure a shot. If none of that worked, I'd probably just go for a membrane sweep and hope for the best.

Basically, anything to avoid drugs!

June 2nd, 2011, 07:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am with Mana on this one. My plan is to actually start this stuff mostly at 36 weeks (in terms of the easy to do ones - aka sex and such). We plan on having plenty of sex with nipple stimulation.

I have read about a few other things to eat that can "help" that are harmless. So we may be having some weird foods at 40 weeks. If none of that works and we havent seen baby at 41 weeks, I think castor oil is the last resort.

I really dont want to be medically induced.

http://hkystar.blogspot.com

June 2nd, 2011, 08:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
I will be walking and also taking Evening Primrose Oil. My midwife recommends starting it around 36 or 37 weeks. EPO doesn't induce labor, but it can help to soften the cervix.

The thing about natural induction methods - they aren't going to make baby come out sooner than baby is ready to come out. It will only work if your body is already ready for baby to arrive. So yes, I will be doing natural induction methods, like DTD, nip stim, maybe even belly dancing. I will also do cumin tea, which is used by midwives in Latino cultures.

Things I won't do unless recommended by my midwife are Blue Cohosh, 5W, or Castor Oil. If we go overdue and are ready for baby to come out or face a hospital induction/c-section, then she'll recommend these things. And personally, I'd rather do Metamucil than Castor oil.

June 2nd, 2011, 09:28 AM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
with Nolan I tried dtd, accupuncture, reflexology, raspberry tea--nothing worked and my water broke on my edd

my natural remedy for induction this time is a c/s
June 2nd, 2011, 10:35 AM
Happy Mommy
Pretty much what Joanna said

I did castor oil with L and went into labor that night (water borke) so it could be odd timing or not, I'll never know.
June 2nd, 2011, 12:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I dont plan to resort to any of hte drastic things unless I have to (aka 10 days post edd). My dr said they dont let women go beyond that point. I want her to come on her own time (hence why I said we would only do the easy ones early aka we have been doing them the whole pregnancy so its not really something new/different).

http://hkystar.blogspot.com

June 2nd, 2011, 04:54 PM
Happy Mommy
none of these things will actually make labor start unless body and baby are ready inhow. so not really a risk of going earlier then baby is ready...
June 3rd, 2011, 06:08 AM
If your body and baby are ready then wouldn't you go into labor anyway?

And I mostly meant doing those things with the specific intention of bringing on labor. I walk and DTD now, eat pineapple (which I just heard about as being labor-inducing), and I'm sure I will up until labor, but I'm not going to do them just to get things going unless I need to

June 3rd, 2011, 08:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Your body and baby can be ready but just not have the right chemistry to start labor. There are also times when mental or emotional resistance or fears can block the body from starting labor. These things can also block during labor and prevent dilation. Some of the items, like sex or EPO help to ripen the cervix which helps to make effacement faster.

Also, I don't know about your midwife, but there are rules for mine about how far overdue I can go before a medical induction is necessary.

June 3rd, 2011, 12:59 PM
Ahh that was one of the questions I was going to ask at my last appointment but forgot! She told DH that his homework for the next few weeks is to make sure I write my questions down Either way I definitely don't want to be medically induced before 41 weeks unless I have to be... I'm half expecting to develop pre-eclampsia so if I can avoid that then I want to stay away from induction as a thank you to my body xD

June 6th, 2011, 04:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
YES - write down your questions for sure! I used to get in trouble for not doing that with our first too! No Pre-E allowed! Have you had any high blood pressure readings or are you just psyching yourself out?

June 6th, 2011, 08:55 AM
My BP has been hovering around high my entire pregnancy. Occasionally it crosses the line, but then they make me lay on my left side for a while and retake it and it drops back down into a normal range. But everything else has been completely normal, so I don't really know what's going on with that. They're just watching me closely now. I have another 24 hour urine collection to look forward to in a couple weeks, fun times ahead

June 6th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Eeps! Well I hope you do great on your collection (yummy, yummy ). I can definitely understand why you're worried!

June 6th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Oh yes, nothing like peeing into a jug and storing it in the refrigerator all day I'm sure I'll be fine though

Tags
labor , pregnancy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search