Diaper advice.

Forum: Getting Ready for Baby

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Getting Ready for Baby LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 19th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Can I get some opinions on Cloth Diapers vs. Disposable diapers please?
August 21st, 2011, 05:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I started cloth diapering my son when he was 8 months old (he just turned 2) and since we switched we have had very little rashes. I don't have a wetting through problem unless he sleeps over 3 hours at naptime.

I am cloth diapering my daughter and although a little bulky I've not had a single wet through. Whenever SO puts her in disposables, her heiny gets all red and sore.

So for me and my kids, cloth is the way to go. Even diapering 2, I don't have to wash more than every other day. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.
August 23rd, 2011, 10:29 AM
We are definately leaning toward cloth diapers as well. About how many should we purchase so that we don't have to wash every day?
September 5th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Daydreamer's Avatar Jen
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallenFromHeaven View Post
I started cloth diapering my son when he was 8 months old (he just turned 2) and since we switched we have had very little rashes. I don't have a wetting through problem unless he sleeps over 3 hours at naptime.

I am cloth diapering my daughter and although a little bulky I've not had a single wet through. Whenever SO puts her in disposables, her heiny gets all red and sore.

So for me and my kids, cloth is the way to go. Even diapering 2, I don't have to wash more than every other day. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.
I am planning on cloth diapering as well, but I have been wondering...how do you keep them from wetting through during the night?
September 6th, 2011, 02:51 PM
They have diaper covers.. or there is the more exspensive ones that have built in covers. You can also buy disposable diaper liners. Or so I've seen on Babys R Us' webiste
September 22nd, 2011, 10:54 PM
Veteran
cloth diapering is comfortable but be ready for frequent washing
November 14th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Kristin
I planning to get the G-diapers - they're sort of a diaper hybrid (a cross between disposable and cloth diapers). The outside part you wash but the liner can be either cloth OR disposable. I like the idea of getting to choose depending on where we are. It's one thing to do cloth at home when I have a place to put stinky stuff but if we're out and about I don't want to carry the stinky stuff with me. I also have the option to change my mind which I do frequently.
November 26th, 2011, 04:35 PM
OatmealKisses's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son is a HEAVY soaker. He soaks through cloth and disposble. We used desposible in the hospital and they let us bring home the package we were using there, plus my hubby got them to give us 2 more packages. We didn't have to put him into cloth for the first 3 weeks. After that I just used cloth fulltime and cloth wipes fulltime. I will say that I've had LESS leaks in cloth than desposible, and we were using huggies only.

My son is wearing size small pocket diapers right now. He's had the least amount of leaks wearing the pockets than prefolds and covers, which was what he was in in size newborn. And before that he was wearing AIO in preemie with terry soakers, which was also almost leakless.

Nighttime diapering is harder but not a ton, becuase he wakes up 10-20 times a night anyway, so I'm already up all the time with him at night.

What I wish I would have done if I knew I was going to have a heavy soaker is buy hemp, bamboo, or a hamp/bamboo blend of prefolds instead of indian cotton.

I stuff his pockets with 3 newborn indian prefolds each. It would have been nice to only need 1 hemp/bamboo prefold per diaper. His diapers are so thick.

The next size he's going into after this is AI2, so I'll be getting some hamp/bamboo medium and large prefolds. Soakers are nice for nighttime or for when he is in the carseat and I know I won't be able to change him right away.

Angel Baby gone at 9 weeks, 7/8/13
November 26th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abstruseimpulse View Post
We are definately leaning toward cloth diapers as well. About how many should we purchase so that we don't have to wash every day?
I am using pocket diapers, atm. I have 27. I also have 3 AIOs. I wash every 3 days.

When he was in prefolds and covers, I had 3 covers and 6 dozen prefolds. I also had 2 pockets and 2 AIOs. I had WAY too many prefolds and not enough covers, but I use the same prefolds to stuff his pocket diapers with now. Each diaper gets 3 prefolds, so it's just about the right amount.

When he was in prefolds/covers I washed twice a day. That was only because I didn't have enough covers. If you use prefolds and covers get 12 and you'll probably wash every other day.

November 26th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abstruseimpulse View Post
They have diaper covers.. or there is the more exspensive ones that have built in covers. You can also buy disposable diaper liners. Or so I've seen on Babys R Us' webiste
You can buy prefolds and covers, which is the least expensive way to CD. You pin or snappi the prefold on the baby and the cover goes over it. Covers are PUL which is water-proof plastic.

You could also use prefolds with soaker covers, which are either made of wool or fleece. Wool is more absorbant, and therefore more expensive.

There are also pocket diapers, which are basically a cover with a pouch along the crotch to stuff absorbant material into; such as doublers, inserts, or prefolds.

AIO (All-In-One) diapers are a one part diaper. You just put it on and take it off the same way you would with a desposible, but you wash it. These are more expensive, but the easiest to use. I love them!

There are also fitted diapers. They look like a AIO, and they usually come in bright colors/patterns like pockets, covers, and AIOs have, but they aren't water-proof. They're meant to be worn with a cover over them. They are FAR more absorbant than prefolds with covers, because of the amount of compact padding in them. They fit better than pinned/snappied prefolds, that's why they are called ''fitteds." The edges have ruffles on them. You can use a PUL cover over them, fleece, or wool.

There are other types, but they are variants of these types listed above.

November 26th, 2011, 05:20 PM
My 3 favorite things about cloth diapering are picking out cute prints/designs, saving hundreds of dollars, and photographing my son in his cute diapers.

Have you noticed there are no forums donated esclusely to desposible diapers? That's becuase there is no variety in them, just different brands. They aren't "fun." I've never heard of a single person being excited about their child's desposible diapers. I know droves of people excited about their fluff.
Cloth is SOOO fun!

January 13th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Super Mommy
I have used disposable diapers, cloth diapers (Fuzzibunz), and gdiapers. I found that the liners for the gdiapers got expensive so that didn't last long. I liked the Fuzzibunz and used them with my oldest for quite awhile. When I had my twins the laundry was just ridiculous, so I went back to disposables. I liked the cloth diapers though and if I had the time for it I would go that route.
Gavyn & Kendric - 8
Joseph - 18 months
Step-mom to:
Kiersten - 8
February 24th, 2012, 08:58 AM
I didn't know so many women preferred cloth diapers over regular disposable diapers! I am about to be a new mom and I'm glad I know this now! I will be spending a lot of time at home so I'll be ready for the frequent washing. Thanks!
July 30th, 2012, 12:22 AM
Regular
I prefer to use cloth diaper. disposable diaper can cause UTI.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search