Car for 3 Kids ?

Forum: Getting Ready for Baby

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Getting Ready for Baby LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 5th, 2011, 05:35 AM
wavrunnr's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We're pg with #3 and we're going to need a new vehicle. What car do you have with 3 children? We use huge Britax carseats.....even the oldest is still in a big seat (not a booster).

I know a lot of people have minivans, and if you do, I'd love to hear what you like about YOUR minivan.

And if you don't have a minivan and you can drive around 3 kids, I definitely want to hear what vehicle can accomodate 3 carseats!

Thanks!!

Mommy to 2 miracle IVF daughters and a miracle baby boy conceived without any medical assistance!!!!
October 13th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I just had my 3rd in July. I drive a Ford Freestyle (now Ford Taurus XL I believe). It has a third row and can fit the 3 carseats plus 2 extra passengers. However seeing your oldest is still in a big carseat the only issue I can see you running into with the Freestyle is getting to the back seat to buckle your oldest. My oldest is in a booster and can buckle himself in so I don't have to navigate through the younger two in carseats to get back there. Other than that I absolutely love my car and it accomodates our family of 5 perfectly. Good luck with you decision!
November 1st, 2011, 05:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
i have a toyota camry and hoping that will work
my oldest isnt in a car seat anymore and just put DD in a booster seat
so it looks like ill be ok with an infant seat in the middle and the 2 older kids on the sides.
i hate to admit that my 9 year old sits up front more often then i would like but when we go somewhere as a family it should work for us without having to get a bigger car

Thank you Brittany for my very pretty siggy!
December 29th, 2011, 12:47 PM
mamato2hopingfor3's Avatar Veteran
I am having the same dilemma! I am 5w1d pg with my third and we just purchased a 5 seater mid sized car! I have no idea what I am going to do cause DD1 is in a booster and DD2 is still in a big carseat! We have to see what will fit, or trade it in!

January 9th, 2012, 09:37 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
I have a Pontiac Torrent. They don't make Pontiacs anymore, but the Chevy Equinox is the same vehicle. I only have two kids right now, but for a couple weeks this summer my 5-year-old niece was with us so I had to fit 3 car seats. I successfully fit in a Britax Frontier 85 (giant convertible/booster), a Radian, and a Graco. Now that I'm pregnant with #3, I'll keep that same set up. My kids will be 3, nearly 2, and newborn when this one come along, so all will definitely be in carseats for awhile.

My DH drives a Honda CRV. We currently have 2 Gracos in there and there isn't room for a third. I think I'm going to have to swap out one of the Gracos and get 2 Radians in there to make it work for 3. If for some reason we're rolling in money at the time (not likely), I'll just buy 3 Radians so they all match..lol.

To me it makes more sense to get car seats that will work with your current vehicle (if possible --- i know some are just too small for it to ever be possible), than to get a new vehicle to accomodate the gigantic seats.

January 13th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Super Mommy
When my kids were younger (before they could undo their own seat belts) I drove a Ford E-150. The only thing I loved about it was how easy it was for me to get all the kids in and out of the van. I now have an 8 year old in a Graco Turbobooster, 6 year old twins in Graco Nautilus', and a 5 year old in a Cosco highback booster. We have a 2008 Kia Sedona and I love it.
Pros: comfortable, roomy, reliable, back seats fold into the floor which makes it easy to carry large items and leaves lots of extra room in the back when seats are up.
Cons: It is not possible to reach the back seat from the sliding doors which means I have to crawl through the middle seats to get to a child in the back. The back bench seat is big enough for 2 car seats, but does not leave enough space for the middle seat to actually be used.
February 6th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Super Mommy
I have a Toyota Sienna, and we love it. You can get the 7 or 8 seat option. Mine is 8 seats, and the middle seat in the second row comes out and stores in a little cubby in the back. (It's a jump seat, so it's small-ish) We'll be putting the new baby in the second row, and probably putting the two big girls in the back row. I'm hoping it wont be too much of a problem because one is in a booster right now. If the my second daughter is still in a harness, we'll either leave her in the second row or we'll take out one of the captains chairs in the second row so I can reach in to buckle her in the sliding door.
If our car seats were a little smaller (we have two Nautilus seats) we could fit everyone in the third row.
Something to think about- LATCH is only available in the captains chairs in the second row, so you'd want to put boosters in the back if you need LATCH for regular car seats.
February 20th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have a Chevy Traverse & love it. 2nd row has captains seats & full 3rd row that lays flat when needed.
July 19th, 2012, 05:16 AM
Super Mommy

Last edited by my3sonsplus1; July 19th, 2012 at 05:20 AM.
July 28th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Currently, I have two kids - 3yo adn 5yo. And now I am 6months pregnant. We already got our new Kia Sorento just last month. It can seat 7 people. It's fuel efficient too. Also when getting a new car, consider the pricing and comfort.
February 12th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Adventuremom's Avatar Leah
We have a Mazda 5 and plan on keeping it if and when I get pregnant with baby #3. It seats 6 and is serviceable, but has some limitations:

Pros:

Seats 6, but might be difficult to install a carseat with LATCH in the 3rd row.
Not as big as a mini-van and is better on fuel (i.e. drives like a car rather than a van).

Cons:

Getting a car seat into the back row would be nearly impossible - you have to fold the 2nd row seat down to reach the back.

There is no room for groceries if the 3rd row is in use (the 3rd row takes up all the room in the car).

We're planning on keeping it because it is paid for and my older sons would be about 8 years old and 6 years old at the time of birth, so they are in booster seats and can buckle themselves - so either one of them could go in the 3rd row with no difficulty. We'd only have one 5-point harness carseat to deal with.

My chart: My Ovulation Chart
September 27, 2012: 5 weeks, 4 days. November 20, 2012: Ruptured ectopic.

My articles: http://leahlefler.hubpages.com/
February 19th, 2013, 10:17 AM
I had this problem with my pontiac sunfire a few years ago and ended up trading it in for something bigger. I went with a honda accord that has three shoulder belts in the back seat. at the time my oldest was in a booster and sat in the middle with two eddie baur infants seats on either side of her. I found if she got in through the front passanger side door and didnt have muddy boots we all could get in and out fairly quickly. she was a pro at buckling her own belt and showing me too
despite that, i wished i had a mini van the whole time
July 30th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Starchaser's Avatar Regular
I have a volvo xc90 and love it!! It is a 7 seater, and has two seats in the back, three in the middle. Great on gas as well

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search