Are these items really needed??

Forum: Getting Ready for Baby

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Getting Ready for Baby LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 10th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Scarlett's Mommy
When I made my registry at Babies R Us they gave me a check list of things I should register for that I'd need for the baby. My question is, are these things really needed and/or did you use them?
  • Waterproof multi-use pads
  • Receiving blankets
  • Multiple waterproof mattress pads

Those were just some of the things listed. I think there were some other random things, but I just wanted to know if it was really necessary to get these things..

Scarlett Isabella will be here January 21, 2012! =)
November 17th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The matress pads, yes. And get two. A great idea is to layer them. Put the pad, sheet, then another pad, and another sheet. When the top layer gets dirty, just pull it off and your good. Pulling that matress out to redo sheets is a pain, and you find yourself doing it a lot. As far as receiving blanket go. I don't like the normal ones. They are too small and no real stretch. I got these Target Mobile Site - aden + anais blue boys n' toys muslin swaddles
They come in other patterns too, for girls also. They work great for everything, burps, strollers, and they won't overheat baby. A lot of babies grow out of regular receiving blaknets quickly.these you can get a great snug swaddle, ealisly. Even if you aren't great at it lol. I get a ton of use out of my pack. It was my splurge.
The multi use pads are a crock. Just get two changing pad covers, so you can wash one and use the other.
This is my fourth baby, so I've tried just about everything. Haha
November 26th, 2011, 02:31 PM
OatmealKisses's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jina View Post
  • Receiving blankets
  • Multiple waterproof mattress pads.
matress pads and multi-use pads yes!

Matress pads becuase of what the above poster said.

Multi-use pads becuase you can use them the same way the above poster said, but on your changing table pad. My son seems to pee everytime I take off his diaper and I'm constantly changing the pad cover. If I didn't have a water-proof pad under it it would soak all the other covers under it and increase time spent tidiling around you covers and laundry.

Some people love receiving blankets, others don't use them at all.
I don't use them for their intended use. I cut them up, double layer them, and sew them together to make my son's cloth wipes I use with his cloth dipaers.
I also know people that roll them up and use them to position the baby in various situations, others use them as burp clothes, others cut them up and use them as wash clothes, and others (that have summer babies) want blankets, but not traditional thick blankets.

If there are other things you want a lot more that are smaller like that on your registery, I recommend not putting the receiving blankets on there, lest someone looking to buy a small item from your registery pass up something you *know* you needed and buy the receiving blankets.

If you want them, go to a a goodwill, salvation army, thrift store, or cosignment store and buy a few. Try them out and see if you end up using them or not. If not, you're only out a few bucks. They usually go for 50cents to $1 each. You won't be out almost anything, and you'll leave the stuff you know you need on your registery for everyone else to buy.

Angel Baby gone at 9 weeks, 7/8/13
December 29th, 2011, 12:42 PM
mamato2hopingfor3's Avatar Veteran
I've used receiving blankets for all kinds of stuff from wiping up puke (they are the BEST for wiping up puke, don't even bother with burp cloths!) to using them as a blanket (under a thicker blanket; my previous babies were born in the dead of winter) I've always got the flannel ones from wal-mart etc. I love them! Waterproof multi use pads?? I don't even know what that means, like changing pads? If so then yes one for the diaper bag. And a waterproof mattress pad? Yes, the one I have is padded with waterproof material underneath, but my crib mattress is also waterproof, so it's not really necessary.

January 9th, 2012, 09:39 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
Mattress pad, yes. Diarrhea explosions leak through...the mattress protector will save you from having to get a new mattress.

The other stuff, not necessary at all. The receiving blankets I've gotten have all honestly been left sitting around unused.

January 13th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Super Mommy
I used waterproof multi-use pads on the changing table or to change them elsewhere. I also used them in the pack n' play and bassinet. I used receiving blankets as burp cloths, but that was about all I used them for. I had 2 waterproof crib pads and that was enough.
March 20th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jina View Post
When I made my registry at Babies R Us they gave me a check list of things I should register for that I'd need for the baby. My question is, are these things really needed and/or did you use them?
  • Receiving blankets
  • Multiple waterproof mattress pads

Those were just some of the things listed. I think there were some other random things, but I just wanted to know if it was really necessary to get these things..
The waterproof multi-use pads are also great to have when you have the baby with you on the couch. Sometimes you don't want to take baby into the other room to change them.

The receiving blankets work great for all kinds of things.....I like to use them instead of a bib when baby is drinking out of a bottle. They tend to fall asleep before the bottle is empty and the milk drips down their cheeks. The blankets can be tucked up underneath their neck and on their chest and used to clean their little faces and then tossed over your shoulder to burp.

You really have to keep waterproof mattress pads on both your bed and the crib. Diapers are great at leaking!

July 19th, 2012, 05:11 AM
Super Mommy
I used the waterproof pads for changing, pack n' play, and putting behind my kids who had bad reflux. I used mattress pads, and I always had at least one extra. The only thing I used receiving blankets for was as burp cloths.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search