Bassinet+Crib or just Crib?

Forum: Getting Ready for Baby

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Getting Ready for Baby LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 19th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi,

First time mom here. I am 10 weeks pregnant, and due in February. I am sure it is way too early to be thinking about buying baby stuff, but I am starting to get a list together of things we need to buy. I would like your input on bassinets. I have already determined that we will need a crib, but it sounds like a bassinet may also be useful in the beginning. What are your thoughts, have you owned one before? Did you use it? Was it a waste, or was it very helpful?

Thank you in advance!

-Rosie
July 30th, 2012, 12:11 AM
Regular
Crib is very useful to a baby, but some babies don't want to be put in crib.
July 30th, 2012, 01:27 AM
newmommysarah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Its recommended that baby sleeps in the same room as you until he/she is 4-6 months old so moving a crib from room to room could prove problematical! We will be using a moses basket that can be carried around the house until he is 4 months old - thats when they start moving around more and are able to bang their arms off the sides - then he is moving into his cot bed in own room. Babies that are allowed to get used to a cot from the very beginning really dont have an issue when the time comes to move them full time. I will be putting my lil Noah into his cot for a quiet kick about/tummy time every day whilst i get his clothes/bath ready so he will be well used to it when the time comes for him to sleep there permanently.

...and baby number 2
September 3rd, 2012, 05:55 PM
.:Kati:.'s Avatar kyler's mommy
I would just get a crib,that's the only thing my lo has slept in.

September 7th, 2012, 06:04 PM
abur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are using the newborn napped on our Pack N Play for the first few months. I think a bassinet is a great choice before using the crib because it is more portable. I also feel it will make baby sleep better because it is more snuggled as opposed to sleeping in a huge crib!
#2 EDD: 10/05/2014

September 23rd, 2012, 01:04 PM
Alaska Baby14's Avatar Gonna be a family of 4!
I plan on using a bassinet for the first few months because its portable and all babies do is sleep and eat.. once she's able to start rolling over, I will look into a crib.. this is my first but from watching all my friends, the baby likes to sleep in a "cozy" place at first, until they get bigger. Im in no rush to get a crib.

<3
October 28th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Regular
We bought a bassinet and plan to use it until our lo is at least 5 months, then we will switch to crib. Bassinet has been very convenient so far.
October 28th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Veteran
I will recommend you to buy a 3-in-1 crib. Your baby can use it until 2-3 years of age. It can be used as play pen later. It is safe, portable, convertible, and very convenient.
December 16th, 2012, 09:00 AM
writerchick324's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Elliott did not like his bassinet that much. He napped in it a few times. Our room was small and his room was built into our room by adding a wall (why our room is now smaller). He mainly slept in his swing and we moved him to his crib at about 4 weeks old. It's really up to you, if you plan on having him next to you all night or not.

Elliott David: 9/13/12, 5:36pm, 8lbs15oz, 20 1/2" long!

December 17th, 2012, 02:11 PM
In our baby slept in a crib in our room.
After a few months we moved it to my room and large beds.
December 17th, 2012, 06:14 PM
Allie_SMg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH wants the baby in our room for the first few months, if not longer, so I plan on getting a bassinet for that, since our bedroom is small. Then, when the baby is sleeping a bit better, we will move him or her into their room right next to ours and be in a crib.

December 19th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Adventuremom's Avatar Leah
We used a Pack and Play with the bassinet insert in our room for the first few months. Both boys were nursing and it was easy to get up and feed them in the middle of the night with them in our room. It took Matt (my oldest) a long time to transition to his crib, though - he hated it. And Nolan stayed in our room for a long time (severe apnea) - we sold the crib when Nolan was about 2.

If we manage to get a sticky bean soon, I'll get another Pack and Play and use the bassinet feature in our room again.

My chart: My Ovulation Chart
September 27, 2012: 5 weeks, 4 days. November 20, 2012: Ruptured ectopic.

My articles: http://leahlefler.hubpages.com/
December 19th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Regular
we plan on using an arms reach co-sleeper bassinet the first few months before moving her into a crib
February 19th, 2013, 10:25 AM
I used a bassinet for the first couple of months and it was right beside my side of the bed. It was the best for the space and Jackson seemed to enjoy it a lot. He had no problems going to his crib when he was 4 months and has been a good sleeper ever since. He is now 18 months and is almost ready for a big boy bed!

I should also add that the big boy bed is going to be a fisher price car bed
February 22nd, 2013, 11:55 AM
Lemon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We use a pack n play in our room for the first 6 months or so. Crib is in the baby's room.
February 27th, 2013, 07:23 PM
You need one I guess especially for the newborns! Crib is where your baby can sleep safely. if they grows older, then they can have their own rooms.
February 4th, 2014, 12:10 AM
Regular
I think just a crib is enough as you are first time mom so you are so much worried.Before purchasing you should consult someone who is having a baby you may not be able to understand what are useful and what are useless .

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search