Freaking out about not being financially ready for baby

Forum: Getting Ready for Baby

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Getting Ready for Baby LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 15th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Hi! I am 21 years old and my husband and I got married a little over a year ago and found out we will be expecting a baby in April! This was unexpected, but we both are so excited about having a baby! On the other hand we both are feeling stressed about our money situation. We get by each month, but basically we live paycheck to paycheck and sometimes we have enough left over to save, but not always. So I guess my question is what have other couples done in this situation to help feel ready for the baby. I just keep freaking myself when I think about once the baby is here and we might have a bad month where we have to spend a lot of money and we will barely have enough money left over to buy the things our baby needs. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this!
October 16th, 2012, 03:18 AM
A lot of couple says that they are not ready, but there's no point in waiting to be ready as you never will be. Just have the baby and work out how to cope. Good luck.
November 8th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Veteran
i agree with vie31. what's more important is for u to be emotionally matured then financially matured. I belive you'll survive. Just have faith
November 17th, 2012, 12:20 PM
OatmealKisses's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You can indirectly get ready for baby buy saving money on your groceries with coupons. Check out extreme couponing. Use the money you would have spend on your groceries toward your baby and savings account.

Buy used whenever possible. Remember that babies don't need as many things as commercial retailers would have you believe. They need clothing, food, a roof over their head, somewhere to sleep, attention, and love.

Angel Baby gone at 9 weeks, 7/8/13
December 7th, 2012, 08:45 AM
I just consolidated my debt. This will help lower interest rates and pay off my debt in a simple payment per month. Let me know if you're interested and I'll PM you the website.
December 7th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameeker View Post
i just consolidated my debt. This will help lower interest rates and pay off my debt in a simple payment per month. Let me know if you're interested and i'll pm you the website.
scam!

December 12th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Kinethra's Avatar Veteran
This might be two months late, but, my friend made $9 an hour and was able to somehow work it out so that she was the sole provider for her baby and husband. She had some masterful budgeting skills or something, but she could just get it to work! Things have a way of working out.

December 12th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinethra View Post
This might be two months late, but, my friend made $9 an hour and was able to somehow work it out so that she was the sole provider for her baby and husband. She had some masterful budgeting skills or something, but she could just get it to work! Things have a way of working out.
She must have had state aid and/or crazy overtime. A family of 3 just can't make it on $9 an hour with no overtime and assistance. The healthcare alone would bust the budget.

December 13th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Kinethra's Avatar Veteran
She absolutely refused state aid of any kind. She worked at Kroger and unfortunately there is no such thing as overtime in grocery stores. Unless you want to get written up. She just was amazing at budgeting and was able to find housing for a decent price. She bought food in bulk and had zero debt. Paid everything with cash only. Refused to have a bank account. In total she had about $1100 a month. They lived minimally but had everything they needed. (Of course, had nothing they didn't need. Like internet, cable or expensive gadgets.) Really, it was pretty inspiring. And with that, you can see that living in any way is possible if you adjust your mindset of what "comfortable living" is.

December 15th, 2012, 05:11 AM
I think you'll survive.
The things you could do upfront is check if you're paying to much on insurances you don't need, or if there are cheaper options. Think of health care, car insurance, sport club memberships, provider of energy supply at home, cell phone provider, telephone provider, internet provider etc.

You will not believe how much you can save by going through all of those things!

I just changed my health care insurance (was $140, will be $100) and I'm going to save up to $40 a month! The things that are insured are the same, the provider is a different one.
I changed my car insurance, saving up to $20 a month ($59 to $39,50)
Sport club, just signed out, saving up to $15 a month ($15 to $0) didn't use it anyway
Cell phone bill ($55 to $48) saving $7 a month, due to another provider
Phone/Internet/Tv bill ($67 to $42) saving $25 a month.

So every month I will be saving $107, by making some minor changes.
That's a nice amount to spend on our baby, ourselves or don't spend it and save it for later.
December 16th, 2012, 09:57 AM
writerchick324's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We were in the same spot. Once we had a baby shower and handmedowns, there really wasn't anything we had to buy out of pocket. We got on WIC which helped with formula when I was not able to breastfeed, as well as some groceries. We haven't needed to buy anything for Elliott other than diapers, but most of those we had bought here and there while I was prego (buy a pack every grocery shopping trip). I wouldn't get anything new, they go through items soooo fast. You'd be surprised. But having a baby, all we really buy for elliott is diapers. We get formula from the state. We live on just my bf's $12/hr job. So you'd be surprised, there isn't that much that you really need to buy!

Elliott David: 9/13/12, 5:36pm, 8lbs15oz, 20 1/2" long!

December 20th, 2012, 03:28 PM
I know what you mean
December 24th, 2012, 05:25 AM
AndieP's Avatar Regular
If you think about money and the cost of having a baby, you'll never have one!

Some good points in this thread already. Check out some price comparison websites to see if you can save on your utility bills.

I don't know how you are with food shopping, but keep a real look out for bargains

1) Check the upper and lower shelves as supermarkets try to put the more expensive items at eye level
2) Bulk buy when you see a great deal, but only when it is an essential item that will last a long time.

For baby items for the home, you can get some things second hand so don't be afraid to ask friends and family if they have anything spare.
December 24th, 2012, 05:34 AM
Excited first time mommy!
Congratulations on your pregnancy I'm also due in April and I feel like it's coming too quickly! I'm not sure where you live, but in my county, we have pregnancy services that has 1 hour sessions with the parents and you get a point for each visit. Then we can use those points towards new crib, car seat, toys, etc and on baby's birthday, we get a basket full of clothes, bottles, and we can visit every three months to get diapers. I'd suggest seeing if your county has something similar.

I've had to learn to let people help; his mom begged me for a big ticket item she can buy us and due to pregnancy services, we had no *needs*. Are you on WIC? It's a great help and helps with formula if you're not choosing to BF. Babies do seem like they need a lot, but I feel like I've joined a mom's only club after announcing we're pregnant... Friends everywhere who have kids are more than willing to get rid of things their baby has grown out of.

Don't stress too much
February 12th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Along with what other posters have discussed regarding budgeting, I would also recommend breastfeeding. Along with the health benefits to both you and baby it provides (which can decrease healthcare costs), you will save a BOATLOAD of money on formula and bottles.

Also, as the previous poster mentioned, I would look into signing up for WIC. It is a supplemental food program that provides food benefits for pregnant and postpartum women as well as children up to the age of 5. If you decide not to, or are unable, to breastfeed they can also provide formula to the baby.

Remember that you are not alone and you will always find a way to provide for your child.

Good luck!
February 18th, 2013, 04:07 PM
BriLandy's Avatar Veteran
I understand your fear and I think things will work themselves out as you go. I'm in a similar if not worse situation but I keep reminding myself that I have support, even if it's not from the people or resources that I want, and that I need to have faith in myself.

Baby girl, due May 18th, 2013.

Bri
May 8th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Everyone has fears and nobody is ready to take on something that they aren't use to. Once your baby comes you gain a new outlook on life and you find every possible way to make ends meet. Trust me it will work out!
July 5th, 2013, 11:13 AM
I know what do you mean, it could be dangerous to think negative, we should be strong while facing bigg events like this one
January 30th, 2014, 01:34 AM
Regular
You and your husband have to decide what you have to do .As already suggested small babies donot need much .Today or tomorrow you will be having baby so start saving from now and let the little one come to this world.
April 15th, 2014, 09:59 AM
The same thing happened to us, 9 years later I can tell you that it will work out! Buy second hand, ask your family and friends if they can donate anything for baby's room, and start a budget- track everything that comes in and goes out.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search