Insurance covers breast pumps!!!

Forum: Getting Ready for Baby

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Getting Ready for Baby LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 17th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Hello ladies, I'm currently 18 wks preggo with my first and I have every intention on breast feeding! It's the best choice for my baby and has so many benefits, I encourage all Mommy-to-be's to give it a shot even if it's not something you're particularly interested in. I've been breast pump searching on and off for the last week or so and fell in love with a double electric pump which happens to be expensive.. $300+ and was thinking if I added it to my registry no would would get it and I'd have to find the money to get it myself. Well, I came across this blog and just found out that certain insurance company's pay for breast pumps!!! It's through the Affordable Care Act and is considered a "preventive service". I logged into my insurance account, found the list of approved DME suppliers, went to their websites and found a wide range of covered, popular name brand breast pumps, you can even rent hospital pumps, cool right? Fortunately the one I wanted is covered by my insurance but I can't receive it until after I deliver.. either way I'm beyond excited I found this out now that $300+ can be applied to other things! I hope you ladies find this helpful!!! Hugs & Healthy Babies To All
March 24th, 2014, 01:49 PM
epsilonbeta's Avatar Super Mommy
This very much depends on the insurance company. For example, mine through Kaiser gives a free breast pump. This free pump is a manual single pump. Pretty much useless. BUT if you have any medical condition that puts you at risk for breast feeding problems then a hospital breast pump is provided for free for 6 months. So definitely research

Excitedly Expecting #1 w/ PCOS around June 16, 2014
Adopted mom to DS (16)
May 2nd, 2014, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the heads up! I know that my insurer didn't cover expensive pumps during my first pregnancy but I have since switched plans and will have to look into this for my current policy .
May 8th, 2014, 08:14 PM
Wish I had known that sooner https://www.facebook.com/flowerchildacc
June 24th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Veteran
For anyone who has medicaid, breast pumps are only covered if deemed medically necessary
June 24th, 2014, 01:57 PM
epsilonbeta's Avatar Super Mommy
Kaiser changed it's policy in March. There is now a number you call after giving birth and they ship you an Ameda Purely Yours double breast pump for free

Excitedly Expecting #1 w/ PCOS around June 16, 2014
Adopted mom to DS (16)

Tags
breastfeeding , breastpump , free , insurance

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search