Kids sleeping in the same room

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To BTDT Moms Advice for New Moms LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
How do I keep my kids from jumping on each other's beds? they like to play, jump, scream, laugh and everything else BUT sleep! They are 2 1/2 and 16 months. If one is asleep, the other one goes over and wakes the other one up. What do I do? separating them isnt an option as we only have 2 bedrooms. Im almost wanting to sleep in the livingroom to give them separate rooms. Ive tried singing, reading, time out, spanking, screaming - everything that makes me feel like a horrible mom, just to get them to sleep! Night time isnt a problem - as they are usually tired when going to bed. But nap time is the worst! as Im typing this now, they have just pulled off the closet doors! what do I do?! thank you!!!

~Beth
April 7th, 2008, 07:23 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
I wish i had more advice for you, my girls have there own rooms but when we have family visit they share my youngest daughters room. My oldest is 2 1/2 and shes pretty good, my youngest is 19 months and shes the one i do have some problems with. I usually just put her back in bed and give her the three strikes your out rule and the third time i have to go in there she gets spanked yelled and and put back in bed and that usually does the job. I know you said you've already tried this. But thats all i got to offer.

April 7th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
my sons have always shared a room.
i have never had this problem.
ALL of your regular discipline has not done anything??? man.
i am kinda at odds.
if spanking and all has not helped, i dunno.
taking away privileges????
April 8th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
my sons have always shared a room.
i have never had this problem.
ALL of your regular discipline has not done anything??? man.
i am kinda at odds.
if spanking and all has not helped, i dunno.
taking away privileges????[/b]
How do I take away privileges for a almost 3yr old? Even more so for my 16month DD? Right now, after spanking and doing the 3 strike rule, Ive got their door open to where I can see and hear if they get up. Its working so far. I know their tired - they've been up since 8am - usually are asleep by 12:15 at the latest!!! its 1:20 as Im typing this!!!

One thing too is that whenever DH has a day off, he doesnt follow my schedule if I leave. he's got them taking 2 or more "quiet time" naps - then I come home, and ask what he did, and said "the kids were brats so I put them to bed early" thats totally not fair! Then when he goes back to work, no wonder Im trying to fight with them for nap time! Im about ready to cry... this is so frustrating!

~Beth
April 8th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
ok maybe not privileges but how about favorite things? TV, toys, etc??
April 9th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
yeah we just took all their toys out tonight. I spoke too soon though, as bedtime was HORRIFIC! I cannot believe its gotten this bad! I dont know what happened!

Tomorrow DH has off, and he's promised me we can go off my schedule - so we'll see! thank you for your help!

~Beth
April 9th, 2008, 01:39 PM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
Good luck i hope tomorrow goes better for you!

April 10th, 2008, 05:54 PM
melissa_aka_mom
They are still really young. My 4 yr old and 2 yr old share a room, do you have the book "no-cry sleep solution for toddlers and preschoolers" by Elizabeth Pantley? That book has a wealth of information and can be used for naptime as well, has helped with my energetic children lol. also, are they getting enough exercise and activity? maybe take a trip to the park or outdoors so that way the energy is spent in a worthwhile activity? sometimes my kids just need to run laps around the backyard because they have so much energy especially after being stuck inside on a rainy day. also little ones will build off of emotion, if they can tell your stressed or frustrated they don't know how to internalize those emotions and so they'll act out. so it's important to remain calm, calm environments help to encourage sleepy time. a good routine we followed in a daycare I worked in was first we read some stories then the lights were turned off (this was 2 1/2 year olds 12 of them) and we would play soft music and sit next to them as they were lying down and that helped to encourage them to settle down and to fall asleep, it even worked in the 3 year old and 4 year old rooms as well. also moving the toys to a different room is a good idea as well. this age they are just so full of energy and then by the time they are teenagers, they'll just want to sleep all day lol!
April 10th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Nap time was much better today - although I let them stay up about 1 1/2 hour past their naptime - so I think that helped some. Tonight their fighting it, but its just my daughter acting up - my son is sound asleep. I think I will just push back both nap and night time, and see what that does. Thank you all sooo much for your help!

I havent been letting them go outside as its Oregon and its raining

~Beth
April 11th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Here is a thought for you. My daughter is 4 and my son is 20 months. Currently we're in a two bedroom apartment so they do have to share a room. Trying to put them in there together for naps has never worked at all. What I ultimately ended up doing was shifting their schedules, and to a lesser degree mine, so that they could nap at separate times. Now he goes to sleep first and she doesn't go to sleep until he has been up for about an hour. I started that last summer and it actually worked out beautifully with my daughters Pre-K schedule because her brother can nap while she's at school. They've become so used to this routine that they now nap reliably and since they don't nap at the same time I don't have to deal with the bad behavior.

It should be noted that on a rare occasion they do nap at the same time (after going to the zoo or whatever), but I always have my son lay down first. He will keep his sister up to keep himself from falling asleep. Once he's out cold then I send her in for her nap.

I hope this helps!

April 15th, 2008, 04:13 PM
mom2my3boyz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2my3boyz Send a message via Yahoo to mom2my3boyz
My twins share a room. I took all the toys out of their room and put a baby gate on their door. I ended up having to take the door off the hinges b/c they kept pulling it off. They still jump around on each others beds. We've tried to establish a regular bed time routine and that has helped a little. They always calm down and go to sleep at some point though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search