where should newborn sleep?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To BTDT Moms Advice for New Moms LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 28th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Christina(mommyof2)'s Avatar Army Wife
Mine sleeps in a playpen and will till 5-6 months
April 4th, 2009, 05:31 PM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
Abbey is still in her bassinet and she is 9mos old, but only becasue she is TINY for her age, just 12lbs. All my other kids I moved to a crib when they went over the weight limit for the bassinet, or when they could start to sit up, whicever came first.

April 10th, 2009, 09:00 PM
ambee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We put Grace in the bassinet part of her PNP at night when we first brought her home and in her crib for naps so that she could get used to it. When she was 8 weeks old we started letting her sleep the first half of the night in her crib. The past few days she's started sleeping all night in her crib because she sleeps so much better. She tosses and turns so much when she sleeps that neither one of us was sleeping well. I'm BFing but she only wakes 1-2 times a night. It's worked well for us so far but it's such a personal decision.

*Thank you so much to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!*

Sophie Lucille: In my life for a moment, in my heart for a lifetime. May 25th, 2006 at 16 weeks.
April 14th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via MSN to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy
Both my girls have slept with me when they were newborns...

April 14th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My son just turned two and he has been in our bed from day one - even naps. But like a lot of the girls said, it is a personal decision.

April 22nd, 2009, 07:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Our first night home with Xander he was in bassinet in our room. I almost put slept but he didn't really sleep. it was a long night. Then the next night i tried his crib in his room and he is sleeping great.

serena was in bassinet for a few weeks and then in her carseat for months because of reflux.
April 25th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I think as with ANY parenting decision, you need to do what feels right to you - there isn't really a right or wrong answer here (i don't think anyway!)

with Gaby, she was:
- sleeping in the bassinet in my room until she was 4 weeks old
- sleeping in the bassinet in her room until she was 6 weeks old
- sleeping in the crib in her room until I put her into a bed at 22 months

if there is a next time, I'd probably do it the same way I think... Oh - I only put her in her own room at 4 weeks because she was a LOUD sleeper & any little noise she'd make in her sleep would either keep me awake OR terrify me

July 1st, 2009, 05:13 AM
Veteran
In bed with me until they could walk, then into their own beds. Except my youngest because he nurses a lot at night. He's over a year now and still in bed with me, and I'm not ready to kick him out though he does spend half the night in his own space.

The best place for newborn to sleep is where ever everyone is going to get the most sleep. Whatever everyone is happiest with . some babies are happiest in a crib and some in bed with their mommys. Some children can't cosleep because it overstimulates them (this is not common though) co sleeping has a ton of benefits, and its a very rewarding road if you choose to take that path. some people like to have the bed to themselves though, and thats okay too. mommy's need their rest just as much as baby! See what works for you all. Maybe you can side car the crib, or keep the crib in your room, or start out with a bassinet. You can also put a mattress on the floor and lay down with them to go to sleep, and then move into your own bed once they are. Go to them when they wake up. That way you get some time with your bed to yourself. There are a ton of options but the right path is the one your heart tells you to follow.
July 1st, 2009, 10:40 AM
KimberlyD0
when is it a good idea to start putting ur newborn to sleep in a crib? Whenever you and your family are ready, and most inmportently when your baby is ready. Trust yourself you'll know.

when u bought them home, did u put ur baby to sleep in the crib
right away? or did u have them lie next to u on the bed? Never in our bed, just not safe enough for me (we have 3 cats who share the bed, and we're both very deep sleepers) Both were in the bassinet for 6 weeks in our room, then the bassinet for naps downstairs where we were untill 7 months when they grew out of it, in their rooms in the crib at 6 weeks, and naps in the crib at 7 months. Both girls slept better at night after being moved out of our room. They do not share a room, and never will if I have any say.

or how many months should they be to sleep in the crib? You can put them in the cribs from day one and they're safe as long as you don't have pillow, blankets, bumpers and toys in the crib. Its dependent on the family. As I said earlier do what you feel is best.

There is no wright or wrong answer
July 3rd, 2009, 07:02 PM
Orangebrittainy's Avatar Queen of Randomocity
This is really a personal issue. It won't hurt the baby to sleep in a crib from day one but many parents prefer bassinette's or pack in plays. For my husband and I it was important for us to stay close and bed time was always a special time for us to talk and get closer. Bottom line is what ever make you more comfortable and where your priorities lie determine what is right for you. If you enjoy having room to move in the bed, or if you don't sleep well with the baby in the bed, then a crib is ideal. If you are a hard sleeper and may roll over, If yuo want intimacy etc.

Thank you *Kiliki* for once again doing such amazing work on a siggie
I can do all things through Christ which Strengtheneth me. (Phil 4:13)

August 20th, 2009, 12:25 PM
AmandaR
Crib from day one for us.
August 20th, 2009, 02:15 PM
WishingStar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I usually use a bassinet next to my bed for the first couple months. I think I'll switch to one of those new pack-n-plays so this baby can stay there longer. Then up to the crib around a year. I usually put them to bed in the bassinet and then when they wake up, I'll take them to bed with me and they are there for the rest of the night.

Thank you Amber (Lovinmygirls) for my signature

My Blog ~ My Facebook Fan Page ~ My Twitter
August 20th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Snowpeas
Olivia was in a bassinet next to the bed for 14 weeks, then we switched her to her crib in her own room. She made the transition easily.

With Josiah we'll probably do something similar, depending on when he outgrows the bassinet.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search