where should newborn sleep?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To BTDT Moms Advice for New Moms LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 15th, 2008, 05:22 PM
*S.M.S*'s Avatar Super Mommy
when is it a good idea to start putting ur newborn to sleep in a crib?
when u bought them home, did u put ur baby to sleep in the crib right away? or did u have them lie next to u on the bed?
or how many months should they be to sleep in the crib?
hope u ladies understand wut i'm tryin to ask

Thanx *Sharon* for my siggy
September 15th, 2008, 11:21 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
David slept in a crib from the time we brought him home from the hospital. He was in our room though. He slept very well in his crib and was right there for night feedings as well.

September 21st, 2008, 04:29 PM
christy1108's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my DD is 11 months old and still sleeps in bed with me. She hasn't slept in her crib lol

January 16th, 2009, 01:12 PM
mommaluvs2730's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With my first she was in her crib by three months and has never had to come in our bed which Im thankful for. Its my bed LOL Hannah on the other hand was in her bassinet in our room til she was 5 1/2 months. I tried moving her to her crib in Nicole's room but Nicole is such a light sleeper that it didnt work out. So she is back in our room but in her crib!

January 17th, 2009, 09:31 PM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam
Sam was in a pnp until November, so four months. We had a 1 bedroom at the time and space was limited. It was VERY hard to set up a crib in the room and a full-sized bed.

HJ will be in a pnp from birth til late May because Sam is currently in his convertible crib/toddler bed (which is getting DESTROYED thanks to Simplicity). My parents are bringing two beds down, a crib for HJ and a twin day bed for Sam.

January 17th, 2009, 11:23 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is really one thing that there is no real answer for. It really is whatever you are comfortable with.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

January 23rd, 2009, 02:06 PM
*S.M.S*'s Avatar Super Mommy
she slept w/ me for 1 month
she sleeps in her crib now and sometimes w/ me when DH is at work

the first night when i put her in the crib was so hard, i was so worried i couldn't sleep but i got thru it

Thanx *Sharon* for my siggy
January 23rd, 2009, 10:50 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
all my kids slept in the bed with us, we never used a crib LOL

January 24th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Quote:
she slept w/ me for 1 month
she sleeps in her crib now and sometimes w/ me when DH is at work

the first night when i put her in the crib was so hard, i was so worried i couldn't sleep but i got thru it[/b]
Yeah it was always hard for me especially if the crib was in the same room. I swear I jumped up at every little sound and when we finally moved it into Nicole's room I would check on her everytime I got up in the middle of the night.

Wow that must have been a very warm bed!

January 25th, 2009, 01:41 PM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
Abbey is almost 7 months and still in the bassinet in our room. Eventually when she gets too big she will move into a crib in her brothers room.

January 25th, 2009, 10:57 PM
You are brave Angie LOL I cant bring myself to put Hannah back in Nicole's room!

February 9th, 2009, 12:05 PM
*Cyndee*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via ICQ to *Cyndee*
We kept Maddie in a packandplay with bassinette when she'd first go to bed. Then after I went to bed she'd wake up to feed so I got a SnuggleNest to allow her to sleep safely in the bed between BF sessions.

After about 3 months I went back to work and she started daycare. Her reflux/colic really peaked and she went on a Sensitive formula and I decided to stop BF around 4 months, so that was the time of our transition to the crib. It helped us both wean to sleep separately and safely.

A well established bedtime routine is key to good nights. Baby is never too young to start a "bath, bottle/bf, bed" routine but transition to crib is the latest to start it I've found. 3-4 months of age is a good time to transition.

She's over a year old now and still wakes up for one feeding at night but it's all good. She's comfortable both falling asleep and sleeping on her own since 6 months of age.

March 11th, 2009, 12:43 PM
*Britt*'s Avatar Veteran
up until Matt was 6 weeks old he slept in a bassinette by our bed. But then I switched from BFing to FFing and he started sleeping longer so I moved him to his crib in his room. So 6 weeks was when he started to sleep in his room.

Losing the baby weight... and then some

March 13th, 2009, 09:45 PM
CeiCei's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to CeiCei Send a message via MSN to CeiCei Send a message via Yahoo to CeiCei
It took me about three months before I started placing Ernest in a crib. I was new to breastfeeding and just found it easier for me since I had a c-section with him to just keep him in our bed. When we tried to put him in the crib we had two months of difficulty. It took for me to having to put a pillow of ours and keeping an eye on him before he would sleep in the crib without problems.

Robert was in the crib as soon as I brought him home and this time I was more comfortable with breastfeeding.

Little Ernest moved from the crib and our room as soon as Robert was born. Robert moved out of our room on his 1st birthday, but both sleep in the same bed.

My Three Princes: Cordell (23 y/o), Ernest (5 y/o), Robert (4 y/o)

March 17th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Michigan Momma's Avatar Just Chillin'
Send a message via Yahoo to Michigan Momma
My kids have NEVER been in a crib, only a bassinet and only when they are taking naps. I believe with all my heart that the children belong with the mother. I have indian heritage and there was a time when that is the place the children stayed. I believe it still should be. They feel more comfortable when they are with someone then when they are alone.
March 27th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
we have a family bed, all 4 of us sleep in our big bed, no plans to change it any time soon.
March 27th, 2009, 01:00 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine started out in an Amby bed (kind of a hammock/bassinet). We coslept after I healed enough to go upstairs and get off the couch... Now we have a crib that is side-carred with our bed. He used to sleep on the crib more, but now he tries to hog that AND the bed. LOL. Anyway - it really is a personal decision...but I do strongly recommend cosleeping/bedsharing IF you do your homework & understand how to do so safely. You really shouldn't just up & decide to stick a baby in bed with you without understanding & following some basic safety rules to make sure you aren't endangering your baby needlessly. When done within safety guidelines, bed sharing can be VERY very safe.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

March 27th, 2009, 01:12 PM
KendallsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to KendallsMommy Send a message via Yahoo to KendallsMommy
Kendall has slept in a crib from day one.

Thanks to pattyandthemoos for my beautiful siggy (:
March 27th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ALP Send a message via Yahoo to ALP
mine started out in a crib right away

March 28th, 2009, 03:21 AM
GracieNAmelia'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to GracieNAmelia'sMommy
Gracie stayed in a Pack n Play in our room till she was 6 months. Amelia is still in her pack n play in our room. Its really what you are comfortable with

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search