she doesnt cry for cio! help

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To BTDT Moms Advice for New Moms LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 11th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Super Mommy
ok, need some advice from those of you who have done CIO and were successful. my 5 mo old LOVES her crib and talking to the frogs and ducks in there. recently i started putting her down for naps only, with the intention of CIO (currently she needs to be fed and held to fall asleep, then id lay her down in deep sleep only. for bedtime tho she falls asleep in my arms pretty quickly and doesnt object to being laid down bc she is sleepy enough i guess. fortunately she stopped needing to be rocked/swung/bounced). i know im lucky in some ways, but i really want her to start learning to fall asleep on her own, and she is showing signs (even while in my arms) that she wants to fall asleep faster and on her own. anyway the point of my post..

i lay her down drowsy, or sometimes even after she s fallen asleep at the bottle, and after 1-2 min she'll wake up, then look around (she s a tummy sleeper) and start talking to the frogs all happy. im glad that she s happy, but she s not even crying for the cio method! once it took her like 40 min to finally start crying, cried for 14 min then fell asleep for 30min. only happened once. now she'll play/vocalize, cry hard for 1-2 min, stop, play/vocalize. i mean i only give her an hr of the 2 hr block nap time so she ll get SOME sleep, but how is this going to work if she isnt "CRYING" it out??? i always put her down for naps at the same time everyday and she is always very sleepy at this time, but apparently gets distracted if woken up.

help?

November 12th, 2008, 05:20 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
How do you expect someone to help make your baby cry? I've never seen someone ask for advice on how to make their baby cry. I'm utterly confused.

If she is happy laying in the crib then let her be. It's not necessarily the crying that makes them fall asleep. What happens with CIO is that your baby eventually just gives up when he/she realizes that mommy is not coming to make them feel better.

I'm going to be completely honest and say that I hate the CIO method. I don't know why any parent thinks a baby should lay alone and cry. I really would suggest finding another method.

November 12th, 2008, 06:17 PM
BoobyDutyAgainJen's Avatar Proud Mom & Birth Mom
Send a message via AIM to BoobyDutyAgainJen
Cherish those snuggles and hugs and sweetness of rocking her to sleep as long as she will allow. Babies grow up too fast for insisting that they CIO when you obviously have a great system for her going. She trusts and loves your snuggles and cuddles and knows that you will help her at this point. That is why she is so happy in her crib. Why change what ain't broken?!?!?

Thanks *Kiliki* for the precious siggy!

November 13th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
How do you expect someone to help make your baby cry? I've never seen someone ask for advice on how to make their baby cry. I'm utterly confused.

If she is happy laying in the crib then let her be. It's not necessarily the crying that makes them fall asleep. What happens with CIO is that your baby eventually just gives up when he/she realizes that mommy is not coming to make them feel better.

I'm going to be completely honest and say that I hate the CIO method. I don't know why any parent thinks a baby should lay alone and cry. I really would suggest finding another method.[/b]

hm. i dont recall asking ppl to help make my baby cry. i read thru my post over and over and i dont see where i asked that..perhaps you are reading it wrong. what i THINK i said was that i was attempting the CIO method to get her to learn to sleep on her own. the CIO method to ME means that the baby "CRIES" it out, thus CIO= CRY it out. and since she isnt "CRYING" the CRY it out method wasnt working, obviously. and so, what i was asking, is what to do in this particular situation. where im teaching the baby to learn to sleep on her own, using the CRY it out method, but since she isnt CRYing it out, what else can i do to help her learn? i asked in my post if there were ppl out there who have used the CIO successfully (since that is the method i TRIED to use) and if perhaps they have come across this or had any advice for my particular situation.

hope that clears up your confusion.

Quote:
Cherish those snuggles and hugs and sweetness of rocking her to sleep as long as she will allow. Babies grow up too fast for insisting that they CIO when you obviously have a great system for her going. She trusts and loves your snuggles and cuddles and knows that you will help her at this point. That is why she is so happy in her crib. Why change what ain't broken?!?!?[/b]

well apparently, my LO has won over my heart once again by being so sweet that she doesnt even cry when im trying to use CIO. so cant use it anyway. i must admit i DO miss the cuddles, which i continue to do at bedtime and the very early morning nap no matter what. ive been only trying to teach for the 2 naps during the day. its not that something is broken, its a skill im trying to teach, just like you eventually chnage from finger feeding to spoon feeding or sippy cup to big girl cup, etc.
thanks!
November 13th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
I have to admit I was confused by your post too. I couldn't imagaine you wanted your child to cry but I wasn't really sure.

I think the answer to your question depends somewhat on your child's age. It sounds like maybe you are trying to schedule her naps which might work for you but might not be what she wants or needs. She may not be tierd eough to sleep for a whole 2 hour block of time. In my opinion if she is happily playing in her crib that is a much better and healthier sign than if she was crying it out. I can understand you wanting her to sleep well but CIO is a really scary and dangerous method which really was designed for children with sleeping *problems* which doesn't sound like your LO at all.

I would just keep following her lead and she will let you know what she needs. Quite time playing in her crib isn't a bad thing! Give her some time, just like with going from finger feeding to spoon feeding and from sippy cup to big girl cup, she has to be ready for the next step. Some kids are ready earlier than others.

Good Luck!!! I hope you find something that works for you both!!
November 13th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Mrs. Doodlee-E-Do
That was a very confusing post. It had me really questioning.
She sounds like an excellent fit for this book...The No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. It's about developing a consistent bedtime ritual.
November 19th, 2008, 07:15 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It doesn't sound like your baby needs to CIO...she sounds like a happy, content baby who sleeps well and enjoys the time spent cuddling with you. CIO was really intended for babies with sleep issues or who refuse to go to sleep except on the boob, which, I can imagine, would be extremely frustrating.

You mentioned how your baby 'talks' and babbles to the frogs and ducks...I'm a little confused about that one. Are these frogs and ducks on her bedding or are they stuffed animals or toys in her crib with her?

If they are toys (or a mobile) I highly recommend taking them out of the crib. Not only are they unsafe for a 5-month-old, they could be overly distracting to her and keep her awake. Try putting her in bed awake with no toys, blankets, or those musical light things that attach to the side of the crib. With no stimulation, she may go to sleep faster and stay asleep longer. We had to do this with my daughter as she was easily over-stimulated.

If the animals are on the crib bedding, try putting a plain white sheet on for a while. It sounds like she's just distracted and doesn't want to sleep when there are friends nearby!

Good luck, and I hope you are able to find a method that works for both of you without stress, and preferably without crying!

Sara's beautiful children: Cassidy (5y) and Joel (3y 4m) and Timothy (almost 8 months)
Yes, I know I need a new picture .

November 19th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via MSN to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Alissa&Isabelle'sMommy
Aww she sounds like a good baby.

November 21st, 2008, 09:35 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
I get the CIO isn't working because she doesn't cry shes happy. But i would suggest to just leave her be, if she chooses to play then let her play. In my eyes at least shes in the bed and knows that she has to go there at that time everyday. Eventually she will fall asleep. I'm very strict with my girls routine, they have been on one since 3 months, i did use the CIO method. I would let them cry for 5 minutes for every month old the were before i would step in. The Dr suggested this to me actually, so if you DD does start crying when you put her down, i wouldn't let her cry for more that 25 minutes. But that's my opinion and everyone is different.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search