How do I wean her from her pacifier?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To BTDT Moms Advice for New Moms LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 2nd, 2008, 02:17 AM
Veteran
She only uses it at naps and bedtime. She is almost 2 1/2, it's time for it to go. Ideas?

December 4th, 2008, 12:08 PM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've heard of several different ways to do this. One is to put it under her pillow for the "Binky Fairy", and leave a small toy that she wants or some money in its place.
Another is to mail it away, telling her it's going to a little baby who needs it more than she does...I don't know where you'd mail it, lol. Maybe to yourself and then just throw it away when it comes back.
If she's not really reliant on it, you could just tell her that it's time to stop using it and just replace it with a beloved stuffed animal or something.

I hope this helps! I'm not entirely experienced in this subject. When my daughter was 11 1/2 months old, I just threw it away and we've never looked back. Hopefully with the next baby it will be that easy again.

Sara's beautiful children: Cassidy (5y) and Joel (3y 4m) and Timothy (almost 8 months)
Yes, I know I need a new picture .

December 17th, 2008, 11:01 AM
LisaLisaBoBisa's Avatar you...don't...want me?O.o
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaLisaBoBisa
we got rid of my dd's pacifier when she was 2.5 She only used it at naps and bedtime. We tried everything and the only thing that worked was to cut the tip off and give it to her. We just kept telling her it was broken and after 3 nights of throwing fits about it she was done. It was easier than I thought I wished I would have done it sooner.

December 19th, 2008, 09:33 AM
HippyMomOf4's Avatar Hippy Mom Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via MSN to HippyMomOf4 Send a message via Yahoo to HippyMomOf4
We just took it away from my oldest, and we haven't even started with Athena, i have no clue how thats gonna go lol

December 20th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Jenn218's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
we got rid of my dd's pacifier when she was 2.5 She only used it at naps and bedtime. We tried everything and the only thing that worked was to cut the tip off and give it to her. We just kept telling her it was broken and after 3 nights of throwing fits about it she was done. It was easier than I thought I wished I would have done it sooner.[/b]
My Aunt did the same thing for my cousin. When she couldn't hold it in her mouth anymore she didn't want it.

December 20th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Stacey's Avatar Super Star...mom to 6 ♥
I have heard of the ways everyone above has said... A girl in one of my playrooms had her dd give it to Santa when she took her daughter to see him. She said that Santa would give it to a baby that needs it since shes a big girl now. If you do it in the mail, you can put a sippy cup or something like that in place so that she gets a gift in return. How about tying it up to a balloon and letting it fly away. She may think thats really cool. Tell her its going to another little girl!

December 20th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
^^^ that was me I told my dd Santa was going to take it with him and give it to another girl who needed it and leave her something great for it. Instead, she decided herself that she would take it to the mall and give it to Santa herself!! She did it and really only asked for it once since then. I took her to the toystore and let her get a new stuffed animal as a replacement the next day!
December 20th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My oldest traded her soother for Tinky winky (the telletubby she really wanted) with my mom. Then later when she asked for her soother I just told her that grandma had it and next time she saw grandma she could give tinky winky back and she would get her soother. (I just made sure that tinky winky and my mom never saw each other again).
My 4th was in the mall, and she saw a princess backpack she suddenly deeply coveted, so she "paid" with her soother. Later when she would ask for her soother I told her the lady had it.
My 5th had given her soother to my brother when he asked for it, but I took it back because I didn't think she knew what she was doing. But brother happened to be here 2 days later and asked for the soother at bedtime and she gave it to him. He said he would give it to his 2 month old daugher and left. She had deep regret soon after, but we told her that she was big and it was going to a baby. It worked.
December 26th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
With my oldest I just didn't give her one. Between the dental problems they can cause and the addiction that you ultimately end up dealing with I just didn't want her to have one. With my youngest his Grandma kept sneaking him one and he did end up incredibly addicted. It went everywhere with him or he threw a horrendous fit. When he was about 10 months old I put my foot down and threw every single one away. He was so mad at me, but after 2-3 days he acted like he'd never had one at all. The best advice I can give is if you have more children never give them one to begin with. They're more trouble than they're worth.

December 28th, 2008, 01:41 PM
mommaluvs2730's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Have you tried any of the ideas? How did it go if you tried?? I never really had to deal with that with my first. Im sure I will when Hannah gets older. But Nicole had a hard time giving up her bottle and perhaps her sippies here soon But with the bottles I just limited her use of them which it looks like you are doing the same with her naps and bedtime. I ended up throwing all of them away and just making her deal with it. Cuz if she knew there was one in the house she could get it. Maybe that might be an idea. Or Ive heard of cutting the nipple and some children just dont want it anymore. Or you could have her throw them away with you and explain to her why they are going. Say that some other little girl really wants a binky. Good luck!

December 29th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We hid all of the pacifiers when she was just shy of 2. That was 3 weeks of screaming. She did finally give it up though. Be sure to take it away soon. We were not worried about it until her first dentist appointment. The pacifier actually caused the bone to be pushed up in her mouth and she has a gap between the top and bottom teeth because of it.

January 4th, 2009, 12:39 PM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam
Just popping in to say good luck!

Mine is 3.5 and still has it for naps and bedtime. Okay, he has it when we go anywhere, but NEVER has it during the school day or at the sitter's.

He's delayed and doesn't understand the Binky Fairy and we even tried Santa, but that didn't work either. I broke down and bought new ones a week or so ago.

Have no fear, they won't take it to kindergarten. I'd still take a pacifier over the thumb! (my husband is still a thumb sucker)

But April is right.....the palate can be pushed up. My husband snores horribly and his speech is terrible as well because of it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search