Tips on potty training?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To BTDT Moms Advice for New Moms LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 9th, 2009, 10:26 AM
mommaluvs2730's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay Nicole is 2 1/2 and she definately is interested in the potty. She always has to be in there when Im there and she likes to sit on the potty herself. She has gone a couple of times but I really dont think she knew what she was doing. She did go number two also and it scared her probably cuz of the splash. That was awhile ago. Mom has been taking her several times on the potty when she babysits and I guess she went one time. Most the time she just sits there and says potty and likes the toilet paper. I got one of those free PTing dvds from huggies pull ups and watched it today. There were some good tips but after sitting on the potty a bit Nicole got bored and wanted off. I let her just run around naked the whole time explaining to her that she needs to go potty on the potty chair. Im not sure if she understood. So I was watching her but went to go get my clothes changed and when I came out there was a pee spot on the floor. I explained to her again that she needs to go on the chair not on the floor and wasnt negative about it. I put her back on the chair although I knew she wouldnt go again. I even gave her a candy for sitting back on the chair. I guess my thing is how do I do this? Am I on the right track? Is she still too young?? She wont tell me when she has to go. I can often catch her when she is pooping cuz she gets really serious and still but by that time Im too late What do I do????? Another thing is that my life is so hectic with working, taking care of the house (as much as I can), dinner, and taking care of two kids, its hard to remember to get her on the potty to be consistent I feel like Im failing her!!

January 9th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Super Mommy
Its not easy. I personally used a potty chair and kept it in the living room so it was a constant reminder to try it again. I do AP so my method is alittle different. I don't believe in pushing. I encourage. My DD got it down easy and is doing great. DS is 3 as of Monday and doesn't even care to do it. I just ask while we are in there and try to get him to sit there. If he does he does. It is a long process and pushing in my opinion only makes it longer. Best of luck.

January 17th, 2009, 09:01 PM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam
My son is 3.5 and delayed. While I had hoped to not have two in diapers, I will. He's only recently decided that diapers are for babies and we're fully into pull-ups.

He will occasionally tell me when he has to pee or poop. But we also have a constipation issue, so PTing has been a struggle.

I have carpet throughout so running around naked isn't an option and I hate the idea of cleaning out a potty chair. I sit in the bathroom with him til he goes...school has him 10 minutes "on"/5 minutes "off" during bathroom breaks. Sometimes he goes, sometimes not. He's having more going days, though.

January 17th, 2009, 10:22 PM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have just started PT with Jas. We have been asking her for months now if she has wanted to use the potty and only in the last week has she really been saying yes. When she goes on the potty (either wees or poos) she gets a reward. We use lollies. She's still in nappies all day, but we do ask her every few hours if she wants to use the potty. Since we introduced the reward she goes 99% of the time and usually has a dry nappy. That 1% of the time she doesn't go, she still sits there and tries. We're are about to put her in training pants as well. Most days she wears her knickers over her nappy. She loves it. As both her and I continue I will be giving her time without the training pants or nappy during the day. First though I want to watch her and get a really good idea of her patterns of when she goes.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

January 18th, 2009, 09:29 AM
mommaluvs2730's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nicole has been going I guess a few times a day with my mom. She doesnt tell me these things So I feel like Im behind now. I try ot get her on there a couple times a day and she has gone a couple of times. I gave her a m&m just for sitting on the potty and then when she did go I gave her a thomas the train tatoo LOL she loved that. Last night we tried before bed. She wasnt going so I got up to get her a pull up and jammies. When I came back she was off the chair and playing on the side of it. When she stood up she was walking weird. I noticed that she did pee on the floor on her bear she goes to sleep with. She kind of leaned her head on my shoulder so Im not sure if she realized what she did and she should have gone on the potty or if she was just tired. I did console her though and let her know it was okay but next time we go on the potty chair. She didnt go again this morning...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search