Kids watching tv?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To BTDT Moms Advice for New Moms LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 30th, 2009, 09:32 AM
mommaluvs2730's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you let your children watch tv? Movies? Or do you think its not fit for them?

Ever since Nicole was three months old she has been watching this set of baby movies I got from Fisher Price. She loved them and still does. Now Hannah is watching them. Nicole though will turn her head toward the tv if she hears a fav commerical You cannot get her attention!

January 30th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My kids watches tv more than I would like. Carly loves the Wiggles. She will watch them all. day. long.

January 30th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Nicole has only seen wiggles once and it was a live version on dvd. She didnt really like it and I had to turn it off lol

January 31st, 2009, 05:35 AM
MamaFish's Avatar Swimming Upstream
Quote:
You cannot get her attention![/b]
This is my thing; the attention. It really sucks them in. Most shows made for little ones are very catchy and they keep moving. That trains a young child's attention span to be very short. Personally, my first dd did not watch any tv until she was 2. Then it was only select videos that were not all bouncy and stuff. I hate "characters", too. That's me. I don't want them getting hooked on a character and being so connected to him/her/it.

My dc are now 9, 6, 4, and almost 2. The only things on television they are allowed to watch are Mr. Rogers, travel shows, some history shows/documentaries, cooking and home shows. They love the cooking and home shows (like Martha Stewart, This Old House...). I ALWAYS watch television shows with them and ALWAYS flip to a blank station for commercials. The only thing they watch alone are videos that we have and have already watched with them. Now that they're older, those include Veggie Tales, Little House, bible stories, and some sing-alongs.

I'm not saying 15 minutes a day for a one year old is going to hurt, but I'd think twice about an hour+ a day, even at older ages. I think dc can learn a lot more by hanging out with their parents and helping with little things they're doing.

Not coming down on anyone, I just don't see the long-term benefit, and it may be training them to have shorter attention spans.

I'm homeschooling and my 4 yo boy keeps busy while the girls have school in the morning. He never asks to watch tv/videos. The girls might ask for something once/week.

Anyway, I know no one's saying they're parking their dc in front of a tv for 5 hours I'm just giving my 2 cents... since you asked

dd SK (13.5)
dd AB (11)

ds TJ (9)
ds SR (6.5)

dd LG (4)
edd @ June 14
January 31st, 2009, 08:12 AM
Honestly I do put them in front of the tv if I need to get something done I totally respect your views although dont agree to some extent on them. Just my own views though. I personally dont think children up to 2 or so even have much of an attention span since there's so much going on Lately though Nicole would rather play with her toys. Although I will say from watching word world, sesame street, and other letter shows that she really picked up the alphabet and numbers. She can count pretty much to 14 and knows all her letters capitalized or not. Even colors now.

February 1st, 2009, 08:14 PM
lovemyboysandabbey2's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to lovemyboysandabbey2 Send a message via Yahoo to lovemyboysandabbey2
My kids watch TV every night. But they don't sit in front of it and stare they are usually doing other things while the TV is on like play with other toys, clean their rooms, that type of thing.

February 2nd, 2009, 07:19 AM
KAYnCOLESmommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My DD started watching shows when she was around 1ish. We found the disney channel and she fell in love with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. I understand everyone's views on how tv is bad for children and it slows development. But in my situation, it actually helped my daughter. She learned a lot of words from watching it. She had a speech delay and letting her watch something she was interested in helped us. I wouldn't park her in front of the tv of course, I would sit with her and repeat what the character said, and sing with the songs to keep her interested. She started to get into Dora as well and she counted to 7 in spanish!! So I think in some situations tv does help. She doesn't just sit and watch tv like a potato. They really helped her in learning new words and numbers. She can also count to 15 from watching Mickey. Every child learns differently.

February 6th, 2009, 05:31 PM
amcghee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ah, the Great TV Debate! LOL!

Before I had my daughter, I said that my children would watch absolutely NO TV until they were at least 2 and maybe longer. There is no educational benefit, some studies have linked excessive TV watching to ADD or other attention issues, everything a TV show teaches a child, a parent could do equally well (just with more effor), etc. I stand by all of those reasons...and I tried. But, I lost the battle.

I did make it a year, though! Ava didn't watch anything for her first year of life and then only watched one episode of The Backyardigans every few days and an Elmo movie every once and a while between 12-18 months. Now, at almost three, she watches about an hour a day of TV - much to my chagrin.

What I can't stand is the kids who think the TV needs to be on all day, every day. To me, it should only be on if the kid is sitting and watching a show - not just background noise. I hosted our playgroup's Christmas party and one of the girls kept whining that the TV wasn't on the whole time. Ugh. How annoying!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search