LET ME DO IT!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To BTDT Moms Advice for New Moms LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 15th, 2009, 10:13 AM
mommaluvs2730's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Anyone experiencing this? Nicole has recently been wanting to do things herself and throwing a fit if I try and do it. The most recent time was when we were brushing her teeth. She doesnt want me to do it all! She ran away so I gave it to her. She was doing pretty good instead of just chewing on it. Although I had to deal with my dad's comments on "I guess she is in charge!"

February 21st, 2009, 11:46 AM
MamaFish's Avatar Swimming Upstream
Quote:
Anyone experiencing this? Nicole has recently been wanting to do things herself and throwing a fit if I try and do it. The most recent time was when we were brushing her teeth. She doesnt want me to do it all! She ran away so I gave it to her. She was doing pretty good instead of just chewing on it. Although I had to deal with my dad's comments on "I guess she is in charge!" [/b]
As much as we can, we let them do it. With some things we say "after Mama/Daddy". That's what we have done with tooth brushing. We use non-flouride toothpaste so it's no biggie to put another dot on the brush and let them have a turn. When they were little we had two toothbrushes for them. One they could chew on and one for us to use, LOL!

ETA, if it's something like getting dressed I just hover close and when they seem to be getting frustrated I just ask them if they'd like me to help. I think that's avoided a lot of issues. I don't help until I ask if they'd like help. If we're in a hurry, then I have to tell them Mama has to do it so we can go. Even if they get their sock on halfway they feel like they've accomplished something, kwim?

dd SK (13.5)
dd AB (11)

ds TJ (9)
ds SR (6.5)

dd LG (4)
edd @ June 14
February 25th, 2009, 08:40 PM
lmunoz8517's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
teeth brushing is a big thing for us. I do it first then let the kids do it after. they know that mommy goes first, it helps to let them brush your teeth for you as well
April 5th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Regular
the one thing i am thankful for is that wyatt has been brushing his teeth for a long time now (about 8 months) he watched mommy one day and just picked up his brush and did it.

but i know what you mean about the independence mode. wyatt is almost 3 and has started this phase. and to be honest -- i dont like it. but there are things i let him do on his own and i am always there incase he needs me.

wyatt is going through the "mine" phase right now too. he most certainly is asserting the self independence attribute. (he gets that from his mama)

April 9th, 2009, 09:43 AM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam
We get this A LOT! Sam's delayed, so even though he's 3.5, he's very much on level with the average 2.5 yo. He's getting more and more independent and wants to do everything himself.

I choose my battles anymore. Like I let him get the milk out and put it away, but mommy or daddy has to pour it in the cup.

fThe big thing for us is letting him feel like he has a choice in the matter. Sometimes just getting pajamas on is a chore. If I can at least get his pants off and a new pull-up and pajama bottoms on, I don't always bother with the shirt (unless it's nasty gross, but Sam's a pretty clean kid). So, he might go to bed with a shirt he's had on since 7 a.m., but at least he's in bed and sleeping.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search