Bottle to Sippy

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To BTDT Moms Advice for New Moms LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 21st, 2009, 11:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi, I don't think I have ever posted here but I would really love everyone's advice.

My 2 year old daughter refuses milk from anything but a bottle. I tried various sippy and straw cups, drinking out of a regular cup, and even tried a bowl and a regular straw. I have also tried making the milk taste better by using chocolate syrup or making a smoothie. She still refuses it, unless it comes out of a bottle.

I have taken away her bottles (she usually got one bottle of milk in the morning and one at night) for the past 3 days but she refuses the milk and just waits to drink until lunch when she gets some juice or water in her sippy cup. I have been making sure to try to give her milk type products as much as I can, for example she will do some fruity cheerios with milk or she will eat some pudding or cheese.

After all that info, My question is should I just continue in this fashion in hopes that someday she will take more than a just one or two sips of milk from a regular cup or sippy cup OR do I completely cut out the apple juice and water and only offer her milk in a sippy so she is forced to drink it or become dehydrated?

My DH thinks we should only offer her milk in a sippy and completely take away the juice and water, but that's easy for him to say since he doesn't have to deal with the kids all day. I also think it just seems cruel to do this to my daughter while her twin brother gets to drink juice (he has no problem drinking milk or juice from the sippys). Plus I will have a hard time making sure that my daughter's twin brother doesn't sneak her some Juice from his sippy cup.

I appreciate any opinions at all. Please feel free to speak you mind, I won't be offended.

Thanks!

[/COLOR]Nathan(6), Reagan(6), Riley(5), Kaycee(3)

Our Blog

February 21st, 2009, 04:22 PM
MamaFish's Avatar Swimming Upstream
Well, I don't know how much help I can be since we never used bottles. I have heard some ladies say that they just keep trying different sippy cups until they find one their child likes. I had one child that I had to try a few sippies with. Personally, I wouldn't take away the water in the cup. She needs that. I would take away the juice, but I see you would have a problem with that since she has a twin who you don't want to do that to. A few days or a week without milk won't hurt her. Maybe give her a cup with water and a cup with milk in it at breakfast?

I hope it works out for you. It's amazing how single minded they are at such a young age!

Let us know how it goes.

dd SK (13.5)
dd AB (11)

ds TJ (9)
ds SR (6.5)

dd LG (4)
edd @ June 14
February 21st, 2009, 06:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Well, I don't know how much help I can be since we never used bottles. I have heard some ladies say that they just keep trying different sippy cups until they find one their child likes. I had one child that I had to try a few sippies with. Personally, I wouldn't take away the water in the cup. She needs that. I would take away the juice, but I see you would have a problem with that since she has a twin who you don't want to do that to. A few days or a week without milk won't hurt her. Maybe give her a cup with water and a cup with milk in it at breakfast?

I hope it works out for you. It's amazing how single minded they are at such a young age!

Let us know how it goes.[/b]
Thanks - I tried a ton of different sippy cups (various straw, various regular sippy, regular cup, even her normal bottle with a sippy attachment ) . I went as far to try bribing her with a Mickey sippy cup since she loves Mickey...NOPE....She flat out refuses. She shakes her head no, cries, screams, pouts and hides her face for the whole "drama" affect. Sometimes she won't even try a sip. I guess she knows that she gets milk in the morning and sometimes before bed so she just KNOWS there is milk hidden in the sippy and freaks out.

I have tried one cup of water and one of milk and she will drink the water. A cup of milk and cup of a strawberry smoothie. You name it, I have tried it. To her, milk MUST come out of a bottle or it is no good.

Yes, she is single minded and stubborn (like me and her dad). I keep thinking that maybe I can get enough milk in her if I give her a bowl of cereal every morning and just overfill it with milk. I give her more milk than cereal on the spoon. It is a royal pain in the rear, but she is getting a decent amount of milk that way.

I really think that my only 2 options at this point is to:

1) Continue with what I am doing at try to get enough milk and dairy in her as I can while she refuses the sippy of milk every morning, with hopes that someday she will wake up and drink that darn milk.

2) Cut out every liquid but milk so that she has no choice but to eventually drink the milk after a few days without drinking (this is what I really don't want to do, but my DH is all for it and I think that my Pediatrician wants me to do it this way too, but I'm gonna double check with her because our last appointment was drowned out by my son's meltdown)

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE!

Our Blog

February 22nd, 2009, 11:11 PM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
we never used bottles either, around 6months of age they all started learning how to use sippy cups, and they got it fast, they were used only for water, we never gave them juice (not necessary at all, doctors dont even recommend it!), and I never really fed my kids milk either (I actually told my pediatrician I gave them milk LOL so I wouldnt have to listen to her lecture LOL), we did try almond milk and rice milk though, they took that but not for too long. The only time they get milk really is in the morning cereal and that's that, I try to limit their milk intake to minimum.
So I would take away juice, but keep water, and keep offering milk, but wouldnt worry at all if she wont drink the milk for awhile.

February 23rd, 2009, 03:28 AM
Actually, we had the same problem with our older daughter. She wouldn't take milk from anything but a bottle but was fine with cups for other things.

I just switched completely back to the bottle for something like a month, no sippy cups for anything, nothing but milk in a bottle. No juice, no water. Basically, back to baby status.

Then we tried again, switching back to the sippy cup for milk. She was fine with it, and wanted to be a big girl. My opinion is pick your fights and when to have them. What might be a battle now might not be in a month. Just try to keep it from escalating and try to keep her from thinking she's winning by bad behavior. My daughter didn't "win" because she lost big girl status and went back to baby bottle all the time.

Good luck
Angie
February 23rd, 2009, 08:25 AM
mommaluvs2730's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi and welcome to the board! I had the same problem with my two year old. I was trying to ween her from the bottle to sippy and she just plain wouldnt take the sippy I tried and tried. I finally had to use the soft nipple sippies like the bottle and just tried for a few days and completely threw out the bottles. I substituted milk for cheese and such while she was being stubborn and not drinking anything. She seems to be pretty stubborn lol nice to know Im not the only one to have a stubborn child. Sounds like you have tried everything really besides just taking away the bottle completely. Dont worry she wont go thirsty for too long. She obviously knows how to drink from a sippy so you are better off there then I was. Just keep trying. GL!!

February 23rd, 2009, 08:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks everyone.

Lots of neat ideas. And it doesn't look like anyone thought I should ONLY offer milk in a sippy - so YAY!!!!! I didn't want to do that anyway.

I will just kinda continue as I am doing and keep offering her milk in the sippy (I'm going to try to cut back on the juice and offer more water too). I will just keep doing the milk in her morning cereal because she seems to do fine that way and offer yogurt, pudding or cheese to get a little more calcium in her.

I like the "back to baby" idea but I would worry that she would end up preferring bottles for everything plus she is already 2 and I wouldn't handle other people's comments well if we were out and they saw me giving her a bottle (and you know how people love to comment on that stuff)

I really don't care if she drinks milk in a bottle in the morning but our pediatrician said it is bad for her teeth. I always brush her teeth after the bottle and I don't really understand how drinking from a straw or cup makes it "less" bad for your teeth. If it were up to me (in other words if my DH didn't care) I think I would still let her have that morning bottle until she was 6 months to a year older. She has a speech delay so I think that if I gave it a few more months maybe she and I could talk it out a little more. Oh well, DH won't let that happen so no sense talking about it.

Our Blog

February 24th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Quote:
I really don't care if she drinks milk in a bottle in the morning but our pediatrician said it is bad for her teeth. I always brush her teeth after the bottle and I don't really understand how drinking from a straw or cup makes it "less" bad for your teeth. If it were up to me (in other words if my DH didn't care) I think I would still let her have that morning bottle until she was 6 months to a year older. She has a speech delay so I think that if I gave it a few more months maybe she and I could talk it out a little more. Oh well, DH won't let that happen so no sense talking about it.[/b]
I think you're right on. Drinking from a bottle for 10 minutes isn't going to hurt her teeth. Going to sleep with a bottle of juice or milk is what leaves sugar on the teeth and long periods of thumb sucking can cause problems with the teeth or jaw. My dentist was more concerned about the dc stopping thumb sucking by the time their adult teeth came in.

Giving up a bottle/pacifier can take awhile I guess.

On a side note, I wanted to post a link that lists speech sounds and the average age at which children can pronounce things properly. I was suprised at how late many of the sounds can develop and still be considered normal. I know there's another chart somewhere online that lists the "late" age for sounds, but I don't know where it is. My 5 yo dd couldn't say her r's and I was concerned until someone pointed me to one of these charts. By the time she was 6 she was saying them fine. Since my first dd had such clear pronunciation I was more worried about it. Now my four yo ds often sounds babyish to me, but he's improving and I'm not worrying.

http://members.tripod.com/Caroline_B...quisition.html

Maybe there's more to your daughter's speech delay, but just in case, I thought I'd pass the above along.

dd SK (13.5)
dd AB (11)

ds TJ (9)
ds SR (6.5)

dd LG (4)
edd @ June 14
February 24th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
I really don't care if she drinks milk in a bottle in the morning but our pediatrician said it is bad for her teeth. I always brush her teeth after the bottle and I don't really understand how drinking from a straw or cup makes it "less" bad for your teeth. If it were up to me (in other words if my DH didn't care) I think I would still let her have that morning bottle until she was 6 months to a year older. She has a speech delay so I think that if I gave it a few more months maybe she and I could talk it out a little more. Oh well, DH won't let that happen so no sense talking about it.[/b]
I think you're right on. Drinking from a bottle for 10 minutes isn't going to hurt her teeth. Going to sleep with a bottle of juice or milk is what leaves sugar on the teeth and long periods of thumb sucking can cause problems with the teeth or jaw. My dentist was more concerned about the dc stopping thumb sucking by the time their adult teeth came in.

Giving up a bottle/pacifier can take awhile I guess.

On a side note, I wanted to post a link that lists speech sounds and the average age at which children can pronounce things properly. I was suprised at how late many of the sounds can develop and still be considered normal. I know there's another chart somewhere online that lists the "late" age for sounds, but I don't know where it is. My 5 yo dd couldn't say her r's and I was concerned until someone pointed me to one of these charts. By the time she was 6 she was saying them fine. Since my first dd had such clear pronunciation I was more worried about it. Now my four yo ds often sounds babyish to me, but he's improving and I'm not worrying.

http://members.tripod.com/Caroline_B...quisition.html

Maybe there's more to your daughter's speech delay, but just in case, I thought I'd pass the above along.
[/b]
We are pretty much a disaster here with speech. Both kids are in speech therapy. Nathan is being evaluated this week for autism. He is really tough to handle and has some serious tantrums. His pediatrician and his 3 therapists (occupational, developmental & speech) all think he will probably get an autism dx on Thursday. When I say that they are speech delayed, Nathan does not say a single word or animal sound. He says Ahhhh at certain times for particular words in a song. Reagan has several animal sounds and mama and dada but that is it. They have HUGE delays in speech. I feel terrible most days because I think it is all my fault. I find being a SAHM very hard. Things were hard with just the twins but now with a baby I am in over my head (Riley was not planned but I love her and I am so glad she is here). My DH travels for work and is gone overnight most weeks. We moved 4 times between the the time the twins were 6 months old to 22 months old (I am not in the military, this was my DH switching jobs, This meant me getting two houses up on the market, ready for numerous showings and sold in a horrible crappy economy, We also packed and moved ourselves with almost no help - like me moving couches up a flight of stairs no help). Currently my closest family member is 5 hours away so I go it alone everyday and just pray for bedtime to get here. I never thought that being a mom would be so incredibly hard. I hate asking questions in the twins birth month board because they are so far off the scale of what all the other kids are doing it just crushes me.

It days like today that I just want to give Reagan the stupid bottle and tell my DH and the Pedi to just deal with it!!! Sorry for the rant.

Our Blog

March 2nd, 2009, 12:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
with my daughter i started her out with the nuby soft spout sippy cups, and let me tell you i changed to a hard spout and she didnt want to drink anything from it. but if they want milk bad enough they will drink from the cup, i took the bottles all away one day as well as her pacifer

March 3rd, 2009, 06:34 PM
Quote:
We are pretty much a disaster here with speech. Both kids are in speech therapy. Nathan is being evaluated this week for autism. He is really tough to handle and has some serious tantrums. His pediatrician and his 3 therapists (occupational, developmental & speech) all think he will probably get an autism dx on Thursday. When I say that they are speech delayed, Nathan does not say a single word or animal sound. He says Ahhhh at certain times for particular words in a song. Reagan has several animal sounds and mama and dada but that is it. They have HUGE delays in speech. I feel terrible most days because I think it is all my fault. I find being a SAHM very hard. Things were hard with just the twins but now with a baby I am in over my head (Riley was not planned but I love her and I am so glad she is here). My DH travels for work and is gone overnight most weeks. We moved 4 times between the the time the twins were 6 months old to 22 months old (I am not in the military, this was my DH switching jobs, This meant me getting two houses up on the market, ready for numerous showings and sold in a horrible crappy economy, We also packed and moved ourselves with almost no help - like me moving couches up a flight of stairs no help). Currently my closest family member is 5 hours away so I go it alone everyday and just pray for bedtime to get here. I never thought that being a mom would be so incredibly hard. I hate asking questions in the twins birth month board because they are so far off the scale of what all the other kids are doing it just crushes me.

It days like today that I just want to give Reagan the stupid bottle and tell my DH and the Pedi to just deal with it!!! Sorry for the rant.[/b]
I'm so sorry. I know it can be very isolating some days as a SAHM. I'm sure it's much worse with a dh that travels and two children that need extra attention. Have you ever tried to find a local mother's group like MOPS? I have attended MOPS off and on over the years and it's a nice time out with other mothers. I see you're in PA. Maybe you're near me? You can pm me any time. I don't always get on the computer every week as I'm homeschooling and beginning to seriously declutter/simplify before baby #5 comes, but I'd love to lend an ear.

dd SK (13.5)
dd AB (11)

ds TJ (9)
ds SR (6.5)

dd LG (4)
edd @ June 14
March 13th, 2009, 09:54 PM
CeiCei's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to CeiCei Send a message via MSN to CeiCei Send a message via Yahoo to CeiCei
Surprisingly, Little Ernest went from bottle to sippy cup with absolutely no problems. Robert on the other hand was a bit difficult. The only way we were able to get him to switch was:

1. Tried every sippy cup possible. We discovered that he only liked the ones with the hard tops and small mouths. And believe me we bought a lot of different cups before we found the right ones.
2. We alternated slowly with the cups and bottles. Robert wanted to go to bed with his bottles. So we worked the sippy cup in the schedule by his first drink of the day would be a bottle, then a sippy, a cup, sippy, etc. We never forced it on him. If he didn't want the sippy we gave him the bottle, but always offered the sippy. Eventually he would take the sippy cup. Then we only gave him the sippy during the day and bottle at night. Then the bottle all together. It took a lot of patience, but it did work.

My Three Princes: Cordell (23 y/o), Ernest (5 y/o), Robert (4 y/o)

March 14th, 2009, 11:06 AM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam
my guess is that it's a comfort item for her. giving it up is no different than asking another child to stop sleeping with their blanket or favorite stuffed animal.

my son is 3.5 and still uses a pacifier. i don't really care. he doesn't get it during the day at school and he's not using it more and more at home in the evening and on weekends. It's his comfort item.

i'll ditto the nuby soft spout, though. they leak like crazy, but my son was off the bottle by 13 months using them. and we transitioned to the playtex hard spout fairly easily from them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search