Potty Training???

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To BTDT Moms Advice for New Moms LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 8th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Super Mommy
I posted this on the potty training board but have yet to get an answer or anything. Maybe one of you could help.

My daughter is almost 28 months old. We have been working off and on on the whole potty training thing since she was around 18 months. She knows what it is and what to do. She has peed and poo'd both on the potty. She gets excited and everything when she does. I havent been able to be super consistant until now because I was pregnant and now have my 2 month old. I figured I could just start by putting her in big girl panties and make her stay in them all day. I ask her all the time if she has to go and she always says no. She says no to everything even if she means yes. I watch the clock and what she drinks to see when she will have to go. I take her in there put her on the potty and we can sit there forever and she wont go. The second I put her back in her panties and take my eyes off of her she pees in them!!!!! Talk about frustrating. I know she has to go but she will hold it until she is back in her panties or diaper. When she has to go she will say diaper change and we go to the bathroom just for her to hold it!! Again as soon as we are out of there she pees in her panties. I have even seen her do the peepee dance trying to hold it on the potty!! I didnt know they could know this at this age! She is not afraid to sit on the potty chair or the big potty. She will sit for a long time. Sometimes when she is about to go or something she will stand up. She has different cues but will now avoid going in the potty chair. Naked training is a bit iffy for me. I dont want her to pee all over my house. She knows its bad and will tell herself that when she does it. I dont have forever to sit in there until she cant hold it anymore. I used to but the pregnancy made it very uncomfortable to sit in there forever and I now have a 2 month old that I have to tend to as well. You can see my predicament. I have no clue what to do here. I am trying to be as consistant as possible now in the hopes she will start doing this right and be trained fairly quickly. She is smart and a mega sponge for things. I know she can do this I just dont know how to get her moving in the right direction from here. I am lost. Sorry for the life story I just figured a little background would help with any advice. Thanx
March 12th, 2009, 05:00 AM
MamaFish's Avatar Swimming Upstream
I don't know how much help I can be. All of my dc showed an interest in using the potty and I went from there. I never spent time reading and such in the bathroom. I also never had to use rewards, but I've heard M & M's can do wonders

Our problem was always with the bms. They knew they had to go, but wouldn't go on the potty. They waited until they had underwear on. So I left the underwear off and within a week they were going on the potty. Yes, I had to clean up some messes, but it worked.

I know it's work to clean, but if you have a supply of old towels you could give the bare bottom method a try. That's what I would do. Maybe try the M & M rewards first...

My dc were 28, 24, and 24 months when they each pretty much went cold turkey on the diapers.

dd SK (13.5)
dd AB (11)

ds TJ (9)
ds SR (6.5)

dd LG (4)
edd @ June 14
March 13th, 2009, 04:02 PM
divamomma's Avatar Veteran
I was potty training my oldest DD (21 months at the time) while I had a newborn DD at home so I know how you feel!

I swear by bare bum training. I would keep my DD in a dress with a bare bum. Sure we had a bunch of accidents but ultimately it went pretty quickly. I believe this is the only way they can feel it and know what is going on, therefoore the only way they can learn to hold it. I have trained both of my girls with the bare bum method. I also had a potty in the room where she played and watched tv so she could get there quicker or sit on it and watch tv and then it would eventually happen. Do not use diapers, only use pullups for naps/bedtime or outings. Pee before you leave the house, when you get where you are going, before you leave wherever you are and when you get back home (and return to bare bum) Poop accidents I would actually pick up as best as I could and put it in the toilet so they could see where it should be. Give her books to read on the potty.

It is alot of work and a huge commitment, but I swear if you follow this it will work! It worked for my two children, and at least 3 of my friends. Good luck!
March 13th, 2009, 08:29 PM
CeiCei's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to CeiCei Send a message via MSN to CeiCei Send a message via Yahoo to CeiCei
My experience is just let her decide when she wants to start going. I know it can be frustrating when you have a new one in the house. BTDT. My three year old just got potty trained himself. In fact, SO was so frustrated about him being potty trained he would call me at work about it. Yes, Little Ernest knew what the potty was, when to go, how to go, etc. Did the same thing. Hold it all in until you put the underwear back on.

Then one day out of the blue without warning he started going on his own. All my husband did was saw him getting started and ran him to the bathroom. After that he went on his own and has been doing it ever since. In fact, we don't even have night accidents anymore.

No matter what you do really, children won't do anything unless THEY feel they are ready. Just have patience. She will get it with no problems.

My Three Princes: Cordell (23 y/o), Ernest (5 y/o), Robert (4 y/o)

April 25th, 2009, 07:39 AM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam
It's been a month, did you get a resolution?

I'm of the "let them show you they're ready" opinion. Mine oldest is almost 4 and still isn't fully PT'd. He'll use the potty at school and generally when you take him, but if you ASK him, he'll tell you no, and then he's got wet pants.

April 25th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Super Mommy
WOW...LOL I forgot I posted this here. LOL So here is the update. She is pretty much potty trained!!!!! WOOO HOOOOO!!! We did the naked training thing and slowly worked back up to full clothes. She rarely has accidents like maybe one in the past week and she doesnt have accidents out of the house. She will tell us she has to go and hold it until we get there. She has been staying dry through her naps and going when she gets up from them. Nighttime she still has a diaper but that will come in due time. She tells me anytime she has to go. She was having issues a few times with poopin in the potty but I figured away around that. If she has clothes on I take them off until she poops then get her dressed again. She wont poop in her undies if she doesnt have them on!!! LOL!!! She has been going in the potty for that too. She did in the beginning then backtracked a little on it but its going well now. For the most part though she trained rather quickly once she was naked. Very few accidents and only getting better each day!! I am so proud of her!! Now..if my son would be as easy! Naked training is definitely the way to go, we tried all the other stuff and it didnt work. I will definitely save me the trouble next time and go straight to the naked training!! Thanx for all the ideas and info, I really appreciate it!!!
April 25th, 2009, 09:31 AM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam
YAY!!!! I wish I was brave enough to do naked training, but I have carpet throughout in an apartment.

April 25th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
so glad that you have had success since your initial post!!!!

April 26th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Super Mommy
I totally didnt want to do naked training because I have carpet all over my house except the bathrooms and kitchens but it went surprisingly well LOL. I was shocked!!!
July 1st, 2009, 05:09 AM
Veteran
I read that its better to wait for the no phase to pass before potty training.

another tip I've heard is don't ask them if they have to go. Just say "time to go potty" and go with them and do a fun activity while they sit there.

giving larger amounts of fluids around the same time everyday. Of course if your child is thirsty give her a drink but they don't need a full glass. give full glasses at the same times everyday, and write down the times she pees for a week.

we did naked training and my one child naked trained at 15 months, but still wont use the potty if there are undies or pull ups involved. They will potty train eventually. At one point I had three in diapers, so I feel your pain, and I'm guessing your wallet feels it too!

Oh I just read your post! congrats!! I'll leave this reply in case someone else lurks the thread.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search