What do you do when they nap REALLY late?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To BTDT Moms Advice for New Moms LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2009, 09:38 AM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam
Like yesterday, Sam crashed on the couch aroudn 5:30. He'd taken a brief nap at school, but was woke up by another child having an episode (he's in a special ed class for pre-schoolers).

anyway, he slept HARD until 8:30 and then only woke up when Eric tried to put him in bed. We had both tried to wake him up before this, but were not successful.

He was up til 1:00!

Now he's being quite the pistol and has four timeouts already.

April 25th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
I learnt after a couple of times that if Gaby went to sleep after 4pm I HAD to wake her up... hated to do it, because hey - what Mama doesn't love nap time But if she would go to sleep after 4pm, she'd be awake until at least 10pm.....

as it was we stopped nap's altogether about 2 months ago now...

July 1st, 2009, 05:27 AM
Veteran
AWE. its hard when they take late naps. I don't really have any advice on what to do when they do... My son took one yesterday but still went to bed on time, but it was like 2-5:30, then went to bed at 7. If they fall asleep at 5:30 they usually just go to bed for the night here. If they wake up I usually let them watch a movie with me, and then it's bed time. If they have a rough night I try to make the next day as easy as possible for them, and talk to them about why its important to go to bed earlier. If I can catch them before they fall into a late nap then I will try to get them up and moving, give them a bath, or an energizing snack.

In the worst case scenario, if my older child has to have a small bedtime tantrum before bed I will take that over them having a bad day the next day. 5 minutes of tears or a day in tears, ya know? try to figure out the lesser of two evils, of course my children may be very different then yours and we do other things differently so this may not be the best approach for you, or what is 5 minutes for my kid might not be only 5 minutes for yours. We have a history of bedtime being a good and peaceful and happy connecting time, but occasionally they don't like bed time. Those nights are the worst really, and im glad infrequent, because I don't like letting my kids cry - and to me they are still babies, even my 4 year old lol, but I guess you just have to ask yourself: Would he go to bed quickly if you just put him in his room? Is it better for him to cry for a couple minutes at bedtime, or get in a lot of trouble because is tired and have to take 4 time outs and probably be miserable the rest of the time too. He is acting out because he is tired and its making him miserable, he's started the day in a place that is not set up for success ya know? Like the cards are stacked against him. This is one of the reasons we don't use time out in our discipline, but no matter what discipline style you use, you have to consider what is causing the misbehavior - I say you are ages ahead of the game in the simple fact that you know he is just tired and not his usual self. You are being consistent in your discipline and not making excuses which too is awesome. You strike me as the kind of person that wants bedtime to be a really peaceful thing, which I think it should be. Only you know what would make him less miserable in the long run, but my best advice is to avoid letting the late naps happen in the first place.'

Sorry to ramble on. You are doing a great job with this board, I love your discussions, and you sound like an awesome mama
July 3rd, 2009, 07:07 PM
Orangebrittainy's Avatar Queen of Randomocity
With my son I wake him up after about a half hour. I would rather go a few cranky hours, then an awful day tomorrow. However, sometimes he just won't wake up, I find that on those days he will sleep all night and wake up at 7 still. It depends on how he is feeling or how much sleep he needed

Thank you *Kiliki* for once again doing such amazing work on a siggie
I can do all things through Christ which Strengtheneth me. (Phil 4:13)

July 4th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I tend to wake them up. Or let them sleep for a very short time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search