Questions about when to transition to the crib

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To BTDT Moms Advice for New Moms LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 11th, 2009, 09:07 AM
cherry08's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Everyone!

I am a first time mommy to my son who is almost 5 weeks old. Thus far he has been sleeping in our room in a bassinet - kind of. When we go to bed we bring him in our room and he will usually wake up so I will BF him and then when he falls asleep I will put him in the bassinet where he will sleep until he wakes up for his next feeding. Once he does wake up for the next feeding however, he usually doesn't sleep that well in the bassinet again for the rest of the night. Often he will wake up as soon as I put him down and he will fuss until I pick him up and bring him into our bed. I love having him near us, especially since he is so young, but I don't want to get myself into a situation where I cannot get him out of our bed for the next few years. BTDT moms, how have you handled crib transition and when? So far, I have put him in his crib twice after he fell asleep on the couch beside me and was sleeping for a while and he lasted in there about 10-15 min before waking up...not too long but I guess better then nothing. Is this something I should continue? I was thinking of trying to regularly move him in there during the day when he falls asleep in the living room so he gets used to waking up in the crib and then I will put him in there at night once he is 3 months old or so. Should I be putting him in there at night now? I am really nervous to not have him beside me but I guess I have to go through it sometime but not sure when and how to go about it so would love to hear any advice.

May 11th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Maitri's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son preferred to be in a reclining position rather than flat. I had a Fisher-Price papasan seat that he slept in almost from day one. In the beginning, before he was sleeping through the night, he slept on the papasan seat on the coffee table while I napped (crashed) on the couch.

Around 4 weeks, he started sleeping 5+ hours at a time. So I moved the papasan seat to his crib. At 6 weeks, he was sleeping through the night.

He slept in that seat within the crib until he was 6 months old. At that time, we transitioned him to a sleep positioner, which he slept on for about a week, and then to flat. He's been sleeping like a pro ever since.

I'm pregnant again and I will be definitely using the papasan seat for this one also. I think it just cradles them and comforts them and keeps them snuggly, and also helps with any reflux or gas.
May 16th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
With DD1 I had a cradle in our room and had every intention of having her sleep there until she was too big for it. Well, she lasted an entire week and then we moved her into her crib. She barely slept in the cradle and it was too much for all of us. Once we moved her to her crib she was sleeping great.

This time with DD2 we have a new cradle (we borrowed the other cradle) and she sleeps great in it. I'm not going to move her into her crib until she's sleeping through the night because both girls will be sharing a room and I don't want the baby to wake up my toddler.
June 20th, 2009, 07:47 PM
suusssannn's Avatar funky monkey
Both of our kids were in their bassinet, next to our bed for the first 6 months. I breastfed my first exclusively, and it made things easily, because he was still waking for midnight feedings! My second was just a big mommies girl (no lie), and the crib thing didn't work out every time we tried. All you can do is try. I think it's great you're starting to introduce the crib after he falls asleep, so he's at least awaking in that environment. Every kid is different, just take it at a slow pace, and don't expect much. Eventually he'll be in his crib full time.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

June 26th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Orangebrittainy's Avatar Queen of Randomocity
Its up to you entirely. I think you are off to a great start getting him used to it, it won't hurt to try to see if he will go to sleep on occassion in there. I can tell you they usually adjust quicker the younger they are. But it has to be your decision. Our son slept in his own room from the second night he was at home. He stayed in the bassinette a week or so before we moved him to his crib at night. After that it was just easier for me to use the bassinette in our small living room, and I kept the PnP at a family members home.

I had a waterbed at the time so I could not sleep him with us. However when he got older it was a whole different story.

There is no right or wrong answer, only what feels right and what feels wrong to you.

Thank you *Kiliki* for once again doing such amazing work on a siggie
I can do all things through Christ which Strengtheneth me. (Phil 4:13)

July 1st, 2009, 04:41 AM
Veteran
We used a bassinet part time with our first, but once he outgrew it we just co-slept, and coslept with the rest of our kids. While other kids were still in cribs at 2 and 3, my children all moved to toddler beds as soon as they could walk. I think they outgrow the bassinet around 4-6 months, so I can't be certain.

A few tips if you decide to stick with the crib route: warm the sheets before bed. Be patient with the baby, being alone in a big crib in a big room when you are used to being nestled all close inside the womb is a big and scary change. Some kids like it though, because it's less stimulating and some kids like that
Oh swaddling helps a lot too, to keep them with that snug feelings.

Personally if I wasn't going to have baby sleeping with me and was going to use a crib then I would wait until they could pick their head up and turn it from side to side. A lot of newborns roll over by fluke, so I wouldn't want the baby to wind up on the belly unable to lift its head if the mattress gets in the way of the air flow.

Good luck with whatever you decide. There are a ton of options out there and you will find the solution and process that are right for you and your baby!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search