regressive behaviors in older dcs?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To BTDT Moms Advice for New Moms LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 9th, 2009, 10:00 AM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam
Sam has started blowing bubbles since we are all "amazed" at Henry's ability to blow bubbles at us.

I keep trying to tell him that it's a baby behavior, not a pre-schooler.

HELP?

June 11th, 2009, 04:47 PM
mom2baylee&levi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to mom2baylee&levi Send a message via Yahoo to mom2baylee&levi
he'll move on? baylee did stuff like that for awhile....like wanting levis binky...and wanting me o hold her like a baby......i never paid too much attention to those things....I just kept telling her how neat it was to be a big girl

July 1st, 2009, 05:00 AM
Veteran
The more attention you pay to that the more he will do it. My older two both went through that (and at one point a spitting phase in which I tried everything you can imagine for weeks- but as soon as I stopped minding it it went away within a day or two lol) It's normal. Since every child is different I'll throw a couple ideas out there though.

1) "Some people don't like to be around that. You can do that in the bathroom."
2) "If you want to blow bubbles, go outside. Here, these will make better bubbles." (hand child some bubbles)
3) "I'm leaving the room now, I don't like that."
4) Leave the room without saying anything about it.

At the same time, when he's not blowing bubbles show interest in what he is doing (I'm sure you already do this, but I personally find I sometimes have to make an extra effort in this area when trying to encourage better behavior in other areas) but don't bring up the bubble blowing in these cases (they don't need a reminder, if you know what I mean lol)
"You sat so nicely at the dinner table today."
"I really like when you help me wipe down the furniture."
"Look how clean this room is! You are being very responsible with your things."

etc.

hope that helps! These things can be so frustrating!
July 2nd, 2009, 01:07 AM
KatiesGirls
If you're going to bring attention to the bubbles with the baby, do it in a way where you're still talking to the older child and try emphasizing that it's something babies do.

We say "Ohhh that's so funny! Julie look how she makes silly baby faces! What a funny silly baby!" Then immediatly encourage something your oldest can do that you deem age appropriate. it can be as simple as saying something like, "Wow he really loves making silly faces at you! Can you show brother how you can count to ten?? Yaaaay! What a BIG BOY! Brother thinks you are so cool!!!"

I think making the roles very clear and celebrating each is what has worked best for us. When Kaylee was first born Julie would lay on the floor and grab her feet and make sounds like a baby cooing. By using stuff like the above mentioned, she is now very happy and will bethe first to tell you what a big girl she is and how sweet her baby sister is

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search