Help me please!!!!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To BTDT Moms Advice for New Moms LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2009, 04:24 PM
ShelliBelli's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey girls! Im Shelli mommy to 18 month old Brighton. I need some advice on the paci. He used to only take it at sleep time but the past two months or so he has wanted it all the time. Even though I hate it i had kinda just accepted it that he would have it for a while. Then we went to the dentist on Monday and they told me I really needed to think about aking it away. So....Tuesday morning was it. I cut the tip off in hopes of that being the end. Tuesday went well and Wednesday went well, then Thursday was down hill from there. He is now sick and very fussy and wants his pac. Ive also seen him sucking his thumb/fingers a few times. I dont know what to do. DO I just give in and give it back to him or do I hold out since hes not had it since Monday night. I can not stand for my baby to cry. I have just sat holding him crying right along with him. Please help us!!!! Thanks
August 3rd, 2009, 05:13 PM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam
I am SO SORRY that I haven't been here to answer this question, not even to offer you the biggest hug around!

It's Monday morning, so I'm guessing you've already made a decision to give it back or make him sweat it out.

Take this with a whole heap a salt, not just a grain or two. My 4yo still has a paci (we had it nearly gone a year ago and he NAMED it "meemee"). We're working on getting it down to naps and bedtime.

Pacis are their comfort item, not unlike a favorite bear or blanket. If he feels better and is able to self-soothe while sick, I say give it back. If you think it might become a power struggle for you in a couple of weeks, then don't.

Personally, I'd give it back. You can always try again later to take it away. Iw ould still MUCH rather struggle iwth a paci than thumb-sucking. my dh is 35 and still rests his thumb in his mouth at night or when he's super tired. my nephew is 6 and still actively sucking his thumb.

My 4yo is delayed and seeing the paci is much better than hearing the screeches!

August 20th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Snowpeas
Just wondering what you decided to do?
August 20th, 2009, 03:14 PM
WishingStar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My first two didn't take a paci, my second two did. About 18 months old, I completely took it away. The first 2-3 days/nights were sad. But, they were both fine after that. I know how hard it is to see them cry. I always try to do it when they're not sick and nothing "strange" is planned (no trips, no holidays, etc). I wouldn't give in and give it back though. It's possible when you try to take it away again, he will expect to get it back.

Thank you Amber (Lovinmygirls) for my signature

My Blog ~ My Facebook Fan Page ~ My Twitter
August 21st, 2009, 09:12 AM
MotherFrog's Avatar lost in la la land
All my kids used a paci. They all gave it up around 24 months and on their own. I don't really see the big deal of letting them soothe themselves with it.

What did you do?

October 1st, 2009, 12:49 PM
Regular
Send a message via MSN to help4newmoms
I think you should let him have it until you are ready to deal with the fall-out. My youngest loved her binky and sucked it so hard that she put a hole in it. We, too, had a dentist tell us her teeth were being affected - her incisors were super-sharp because they never rubbed against each other because the binkie was in the way. Finally, one day, when we took a visit to her grandparents, she inadvertently left the binky behind. We told her we couldn't buy her another one. Since she was the one who left it behind, she felt responsible and never asked for it again. She was 3! See, there's hope!

Good Luck,

Claudine
November 4th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Ellemphriem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Heck i'd give it to him ......don't care what it would do to his teeth they are expendable anyway, the permanent ones come wayyyyyy later. I'd give it to him and i would slowly try to wean him from it a little later when he will be able to understand why this is happening with his collaboration....i wouldn't force it out of him not for the world. I mean i sucked my thumb till i was what 10 -13 or something....i was THAT depended on it. Nothing happened to either me or my teeth .......

" \m/ Now Im riding through the air
going to where no one dares
on the way Ill cross the line forevermore \m/ "

November 6th, 2009, 06:26 AM
Cyndee's Avatar Mommy to 3 tagalongs
Send a message via Yahoo to Cyndee
Taking a paci away is one of the hardest thing to do... It is their security blanket. My oldest is the only one that really took one.. My grandmother is an elderly Spanish woman that believes in the whole full moon thing.. She told us (me and my sister she has a little girl that was only a little other than Walker) that on the full moon.. Take all the pacifiers and throw them away. And they will not have any problems.. So we did.. And it was like he never even missed it.. I would think she was senile if I didn't see it with my own eyes

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search