Sneaky 4 yr old - WWYD?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To BTDT Moms Advice for New Moms LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 2nd, 2009, 08:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Not totally sure where to post this - but I need opinion's and advice!

Ever since my son was born, well since he could walk - hes been into everything he shouldnt be. I know, this is normal. Well now at 4yrs old, hes doing it but WORSE. Repeated time out, spankings (I hate spanking) talking to - none of this works. He goes right back when were not looking. Every single time. This morning was the icing on the cake, he had been up since my husband left for work at 5am. I woke up at 7am, took my temp, and while waiting or that to finish I noticed his door was open - uh-oh. I get up and find his room TRASHED with things from the kitchen (not to mention he trashed the kitchen and left food laying on the floor and both doors open to the fridge) The only 2 rooms gated off are the bathroom and kitchen. I wont go into detail, but it was everything he KNEW he shouldnt have played with, trashed all over his room. He had gotten up on his dad's computer desk, started pulling books and little knik-naks he has up there. Got into my sewing drawer. The worst of all of this was he was playing with liquid dish soap, and had gotten ahold of my Nikon D90 camera, and now it has soap residue all over it.

UHHHHG.

What do I do? Weve told him before that if he wakes up, to come get in bed with me. But hed rather go off and get into everything when mom's not looking. Its driving me insane because now I cant trust my 4yr old!!

WWYD?

~Beth
August 3rd, 2009, 05:23 PM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam
DEFINTELY BTDT......Sam got into vaseline a while back and ruined a perfectly good rug that had to be tossed.

This will sound cruel, but for the longest time, we put door knob covers on the inside of Sam's doors for this same reason! In fact, because we're in a new living arrangement, we have them again. And he sleeps with me! When he gets up now, I just turn the tv on to Noggin and I fade in and out of sleep until our 5mo wakes up.

Above all, you need to provide for his safety.

I have a curiosity question, if he was up when your dh left, why didn't he bring him to your room? I'm trying to understand if there was any supervision for him for the time between your dh leaving at 5 and you getting up at 7. If not, then it's totally understandable (not excusable but understandable) why he's getting into as much as possible.

Sounds like Ian's a morning person. Sam is and that's why we went the door knob cover route. This way he was safe in his room with his toys and not out trashing every other room in the house.

August 3rd, 2009, 10:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDuckySam View Post
DEFINTELY BTDT......Sam got into vaseline a while back and ruined a perfectly good rug that had to be tossed.

This will sound cruel, but for the longest time, we put door knob covers on the inside of Sam's doors for this same reason! In fact, because we're in a new living arrangement, we have them again. And he sleeps with me! When he gets up now, I just turn the tv on to Noggin and I fade in and out of sleep until our 5mo wakes up.

Above all, you need to provide for his safety.

I have a curiosity question, if he was up when your dh left, why didn't he bring him to your room? I'm trying to understand if there was any supervision for him for the time between your dh leaving at 5 and you getting up at 7. If not, then it's totally understandable (not excusable but understandable) why he's getting into as much as possible.

Sounds like Ian's a morning person. Sam is and that's why we went the door knob cover route. This way he was safe in his room with his toys and not out trashing every other room in the house.
1) Door knob covers - this worked for the longest time till he figured out how to take them off. Should I super glue it on? it keeps him in if he cant get it off. He would take the tape off if I taped it.

2) He was asleep before DH left, must have heard him shut and lock the door, and he was up, but NEVER came and got me. It scares me that hubby sees that hes sleeping, leaves and hes instantly up and I never know it. What if he had gotten into the poisons under the sink?? He KNOWS not to get over the gate if Im awake, which is why the chemicals and poisons are behind the gates.

Ill try the door knob route again, thanks for the advice!!

~Beth
August 4th, 2009, 05:22 AM
what kind of covers are you using? I have two types depending on the door because Sam also figured out how to get them off. For doors I just want to discourage, I have the ones with the open center. For doors I need to keep him out (or in), I have the kind you have to really pinch to turned the knob.

Maybe have your dh bring him into your room before he leaves, even if he's still asleep.

August 4th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I was using the open type. I will look for the other brand. Were going to try and see if he can bring him to bed with me in the mornings without waking up because if he does hes up for the day...5am is too early for me...uhhg the thought makes me tired. Thank you for your help and advice, and lending your ear so I can vent LOL

~Beth
August 5th, 2009, 06:59 AM
these are the ones I have for the doors he cannot get into/out of
KidCo Door knob covers

August 20th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Snowpeas
Any improvement with the covers?
August 20th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
No covers, hes improved a lot actually, and has started to potty train which is weird, must have been a naughty streak he was going through? He refused to potty train for a while, around the same time he got really bad at getting into stuff.....I have a migraine at the moment, Ill re-edit this post a bit later, sorry if Im not making sense!!

~Beth

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search