What are some things you NEVER used for you baby?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To BTDT Moms Advice for New Moms LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 20th, 2009, 01:43 PM
AmandaR
What are some things you NEVER used for you baby?

Those mitten things for scratching, infant car seat and travel system, Baby Bjorn carrier, the entire closet full of clothes (some things never got worn).
August 20th, 2009, 03:07 PM
WishingStar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I never used those mittens. I hated them.

Thank you Amber (Lovinmygirls) for my signature

My Blog ~ My Facebook Fan Page ~ My Twitter
August 20th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Snowpeas
bouncer (she hated it), boppy (didn't work well for me) some outfits although we used most of them
August 20th, 2009, 03:38 PM
MotherFrog's Avatar lost in la la land
Never used the mittens, I just put socks on their hands if needed and they wouldn't stay on their feet anyway.

Diaper Genie. Never saw the point in getting one. It's a garbage can. Get a cheapie one with a lid and if you empty it out everyday and spray it with Lysol you'll never have an odor.

Bibs. That's just more washing. I'd strip them down, feed them, and wash them off.

Teething toys. Throw a couple wet wash cloths in the freezer, works just as good. Frozen waffles work well too and don't get on me about the sugar and stuff. You can get some organic sugar free ones now. Just never leave them unattended!

Expensive toys. Why bother? My kids wanted to play with the boxes more than anything else anyway. They are not going to know that you did not buy them the worlds most popular toy which costs an arm and a leg when they were perfectly happy with a cardboard box or the pretty paper or ribbon.

I may think of some more later!

August 20th, 2009, 03:51 PM
MidgeMadge's Avatar Queen Turd. Bow down.
NEVER used a wipe warmer.. I didn't ask for one, because I thought it was a waste- BUT a relative gave me one because she LOVED using it with her kiddos... I used it for a month and never again.. I really disliked it.

My boppy - we didn't end up bf'ing. She "laid" on it a few times when she was an infant... but we didn't use it much.

August 20th, 2009, 03:56 PM
lmunoz8517's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
the carrier sling. . .it was to complicated to get on and get baby in without help and I didnt trust it so I still help the baby in the carrier
August 20th, 2009, 05:34 PM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam
diaper genie, got one as a shower gift. we had a 1 bedroom apt, barely enough room for the pnp, didn't even have a crib to start.

bottle warmer.

August 20th, 2009, 06:25 PM
AmandaR
Oh yeah, our swing and bouncer were both a waste of $$. Reagan hated both.

Also the bottle sterilizer.
August 20th, 2009, 06:58 PM
HS&Fsmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I never used or had an infant carseat/travel system, Diaper Genie (we use cloth anyway), baby oil, baby powder, or a gym thing that hangs over the baby's head. The latter item I would not have minded, but saw it as a short-lived item that would take up space so went without it.

I could also have gone without a Bumbo type seat (Hugo sat in his maybe twice?) and the brand-name nursing pillows. Really, pulling up a bed pillow was fine, if not better.

November 6th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Cyndee's Avatar Mommy to 3 tagalongs
Send a message via Yahoo to Cyndee
a diaper genie..
November 7th, 2009, 03:43 PM
cakelady's Avatar :)
mittens and diaper genie come to mind.
November 24th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Jodi Dawn's Avatar Host of the Jan-July 05 P
Send a message via Yahoo to Jodi Dawn
mittens, diaper genie, wipe warmer
November 29th, 2009, 12:28 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Diaper Genie. The thing smells and we switched to cloth diapering, much better.

Mittens. My son wasn't a scratcher and it was easy to keep his finger nails short.

Swaddle blankets. My son wanted to stretch out instead.
November 29th, 2009, 01:35 PM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Diaper genie, wipe warmer, mittens, swing, bouncy seat, bumbo, boppy, bottle sterilizer, jumperoo

November 30th, 2009, 01:11 PM
TheyGrowLikeWeeds's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to TheyGrowLikeWeeds
Bumbo (used it a couple of times since their doctor thought it would be good to get them to try to hold their heads up better. Didn't really use them much at all.

Mittens. They were off faster than I could get them on. I just used those shirts with the fold-over cuffs anyhow. MUCH better!

The toddler rockers. They hated them. I thought they were cute, but didn't do it for my boys. I gave those away

Moby Wrap. My doula accidentally shrunk it so I couldn't really use it. I found it hard to deal with anyhow cause I could only carry one boy at a time so it wasn't as useful for me. There's a way to carry two, but they were too big at the time I bought one.

EZ 2 Nurse boppy for feeding twins. I couldn't breastfeed (wasn't making enough ) and so it was much easier to just use a couple of boppies to plop them in to and bottle feed them together that way. Sometimes I set one in a bouncer and one in my lap.

Most of the newborn clothes. Hey I dreamt of a set of babies that would wear anything I put on them and never scratch up their faces in their short sleeve onsies. NOT! Oh well. I tried. Too bad I washed them before I had the babies cause I'd have returned them with their tags on had I known.

Their mobiles. I got a set of matching mobiles on their cribs. They didn't love them. Neither did I.

Doorway jumpers. I had them on my baby registry. My mother bought them. I put them in every now and they, but they never seemed thrilled. They preferred their jumperoos much more. ...more to play with while they jumped, and I think they liked the noise the jumperoos made.

We used the bottle warmers a lot, but had I know that I didn't need to use them because warming the bottles with formula is not necessary if I've never breastfed, I'd have never bothered to purchase them.

Bottle sterilizer. I never did sterilize my bottles more than once.

I love my Peanut M&Ms Cameron & Kiefer!!Eliza's Blog

Last edited by TheyGrowLikeWeeds; November 30th, 2009 at 01:13 PM.
November 30th, 2009, 07:50 PM
MommyToTwo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommyToTwo Send a message via Yahoo to MommyToTwo
My wipe warmer just dried the wipes out so it was useless.

I never used swaddle blankets, or pacifiers with either of my kids because they both hated being swaddled and spit out paci's from day 1.

Diaper genie is a waste too.

I did use the mittens with my daughter for a few days but she figured out how to get them off very quickly.

The soothing motions glider never did it for my kids, nor did the bassinet....each got maybe 3 hours of use per kid and that was it.

I'm sure there is more but that is all that comes to mind right now!

December 9th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Aidan's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to TheMommyProject
Bottle warmer - never used it. A mug with warm water was much easier and faster.

Baby Bjorn carrier - it's crap. I ended up getting an ergo instead and it was great.

Graco Travel system (infant seat w/stroller). We used it plenty, the infant seat was just fine, but the stroller is huge and only fit in our truck, not in the trunk of my car. If I were to do it again, I'd get the car seat on it's own and a good quality travel stroller (which I ended up having to get as well for my car).

Too many shoes - when he first started walking I bought like 6 pairs of shoes in the same size. I quickly learned that was a waste since their feet grow so fast, now I do 2 pairs per size.

FP Aquarium crib toy/music box - hardly ever used it. Aidan fell asleep really well with no aids at all.

Soothers - he never took one.

Single electric pump - I ended up EP'ing and renting a hospital grade pump, so buying the single was a waste.

Swaddle blankets - Regular receiving blankets worked just fine, if not better for us.

Some of the things that previous posters have listed that I actually found great are the diaper genie and the wipe warmer - we are still using both.

December 11th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Eowyn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
those baby robes! i still am clueless as to their point.
January 16th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MamaJessie
Good point about the baby robes!!

Also agree with any baby shoes for a baby younger than cruising. Even then they aren't really important.

January 23rd, 2010, 04:07 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
Never used the change table!!!! EXCEPT for the first month or so, when I used the baby bath that was part of it.. but never even looked at it after that

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search