My seven year old won't stay in her bed Need advice!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To BTDT Moms Advice for New Moms LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 26th, 2009, 06:54 PM
tatanickel81's Avatar Veteran
Okay, we let my DD cosleep with us until she got to be too big and now DH sleeps on the couch. (he got tired of the bruises Now she's seven and just started second grade and I'm seven months pregnant. I finally had her sleeping in her bed all night long and she goes to sleep on her own every night after a little snuggle time. But recently she's started crawling into my bed in the middle of the night. So DH is once again sleeping on the couch, poor guy... I've used rewards and they only last as long as she keeps getting rewards. I've also used punishment and that's not working either. I'm considering taking her toys away one at a time,. but she's not very attached to any one thing. I don't know what to do!!! I don't agree with locking her in her room and letting her cry. and we did so well getting her to finally sleep inher bed. we used rewards with stickers and she eventually got a toy. I can't keep buying her rewards or taking her places for sleeping in her bed. What is another alternative? Do you think taking the toys away would work! I need her to sleep on her own before the baby comes in November. And putting her to bed when she comes in isn't going to work. She tells me she asks me and that I say yes, but I don't even remember her asking come morning. I get up at 530AM to go to work and I'm pretty exhausted all the time. Closing my door won't work because I'm paranoid about fires and burglers and such. and I don't want to close her door for the same reason. What can I do???
August 26th, 2009, 11:27 PM
MotherFrog's Avatar lost in la la land
The only thing you can do is put her back in her own bed. Either you or your DH needs to get up and make her walk back to her own room. Don't carry her, make her walk. Personally, I would find a punishment that works for her, there has to be something she absolutely hates or refuses to do. Once you have a punishment set then you can work on rewards although I'd still do a sticker each night she stays in her own bed and then after a week she get a bigger reward. Let us know how it goes.

August 27th, 2009, 08:09 AM
WishingStar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's hard. I would agree with Michele. Just bring her back up there, don't talk to her, don't carry her. I do close my daughter's door, but I don't let her cry. She's only 2 1/2 though. She'll stay in her room if I close the door and go to sleep. But, if she cries for more than a minute, I go get her.

Thank you Amber (Lovinmygirls) for my signature

My Blog ~ My Facebook Fan Page ~ My Twitter
August 27th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the replies. I told her tonight that if she continues to get up in the middle of the night that we are going to go to bed earlier and earlier until she can sleep all night. Because she wakes up at night she's not getting enough sleep, and either am I. I also told her that if she can sleep in her bed all night for the rest of the week, we'll get a snow cone tomorrow. It's relatively cheap and a nice bribe cuz we don't go there often. So, we'll see how that goes. My hubby caught her trying to sneak into my room last night. So he sent her back to bed and I ended up laying down with her until she fell asleep. But luckily she stayed put for the rest of the night. sigh... thanks for the suggestions. I'll let you know how everything goes.
August 28th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Snowpeas
Good luck!
August 31st, 2009, 06:27 PM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam
did you make it through the weekend?

August 31st, 2009, 06:39 PM
She made it in her bed Thursday night but Friday she fell asleep on the couch... I know, so not good, but I was sick this weekend and too exhausted to do anything. She's in her bed tonight so hopefully she'll stay that way. and last night there was a thunder storm, so of course she crawled in with me. I know I'm so inconsistent. It's so hard to get sleep being pregnant and I just can't seem to catch her crawling into the bed! Today I bribed her with money. I know that's terrible , but I'm about at my wits end... she'll get five dollars on Friday if she sleeps in her bed every night this week. next week DH recommends extra tv time or extra game time. somthing like that. that will be way cheaper for me!!! I'll keep you updated. but thanks for the support.. If I can get her to stay in her bed before the baby comes I'll be so happy!!!
September 1st, 2009, 08:20 AM
MotherFrog's Avatar lost in la la land
When she falls asleep in your bed or on the couch, you or hubby need to wake her up and make her walk to her own bed.

The bribery thing isn't bad in my book. How do you think I got through potty training with 5 kids? 1 M&M each time they used the potty, 2 for #2. By the time they graduated to the big potty, lol, I quit the M&M's cause they had to go so bad and they were way passed the diapers and didn't want to wear them again. And no I did not take this from John and Kate, my kids are older!

September 1st, 2009, 05:25 PM
Well, last night she crawled into my bed sometime around 2am... I know cuz i woke up around then to pee and she was in there already... so i made her go to bed early tonight. and now that homework is getting harder, it makes less and less time she has to play. So tomorrow if she doesn't sleep in her bed tonight, she has to go to bed at 730.... that's really hard to do since we don't get home till 530, but i'll manage somehow... keep your fingers crossed for me!!!
October 6th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Regular
Send a message via MSN to help4newmoms
You are getting some great advice and you basically answered your own question - consistency is key! Since you are so tired, could you leave it up to daddy to play interference for a week? Ie. wake him as soon as she comes in the room and have him walk her back to her room every night night until she gets it. I know, it's hard, and it takes major commitment.

My little guy crawled into bed with us every night until he was about 3. I always ended up at the bottom of the bed because I couldn't seem to find any room. My DH always slept face down with his hands covering the family jewels lest they get kicked. One night, my son kicked my face in his sleep with such force that I ended up with a contusion on my eye. That was the last night my son slept with us! Ha!

Good Luck, save yourselves for the sake of any more you might want to create!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search