Average cost of pregnancy/childbirth?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To BTDT Moms Advice for New Moms LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 15th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Veteran
Hi everyone, I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question but it seemed more appropriate than the DDC or TTC boards. My dh and I recently found out we're expecting, and our health insurance doesn't cover maternity at all in our state. Now my problem is I don't know any bigger insurance's that will take me once I already *know* (from a doctor not just a home test) that I am pregnant, and my husband makes too much to get state aid. I have found a program (cannot for the life of me remember the name right now) that I can enroll in for about $700 covering the next 11 months that isn't an insurance, just a company that negotiates 50-60% (on average) discounts. I have my MIL telling me I should just be telling the state that my DH is no longer with me so that I can get state aid, but I am really against that. This program seems to be our only option but now my MIL has me worried about if we're going to be buried in debt anyway. So I was hoping to hear from some of you ladies about how much it ended up costing you throughout your pregnancy and birth. I know costs can differ greatly but as of now I don't even really have a ballpark idea in mind... this is our first child and I am just worrying extra now already about money lol. Thank you for your help and for your opinions.
September 15th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Snowpeas
It really can vary greatly.

We had insurance last time and medicaid this time.

DD's birth (vaginal birth, epidural, no complications but went home with bili blanket) was about $5000 + physician charges from what my insurance statements said.
We did end up paying out of pocket for the initial pregnancy blood work - that was $500 by itself.

How horrible that your insurance doesn't cover pregnancy at all!

Are you sure you don't qualify for any state assistance? Sometimes the regulations/income requirements for state pregnancy coverage are a lot more flexible.

Otherwise, I would look into whatever coverage or discounts you can get and I would also call your doctor's office. They might be able to work on a payment plan with you.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!
September 15th, 2009, 08:49 PM
MotherFrog's Avatar lost in la la land
Normal Delivery without Insurance $8,125
Normal Delivery with Insurance $ 899
Cesarean Section without Insurance $15,700
Cesarean Section with Insurance $ 1,220
Thankfully we have really good insurance and there are more discounts at the hospital if we prepay.

You should be able to start a payment plan at the hospital. Either that or, open a savings account and start adding into it and you can always make payment arrangements after the baby comes too.

BTW Pregnancy is not considered a pre-existing condition, I've had to switch insurance companies a few times during pregnancy.

You can also buy maternity insurance but check them out before buying. No matter what, you still need to see a Dr for regular prenatal appointments.

September 15th, 2009, 08:58 PM
WishingStar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've always had great insurance. Copay of $25 and then one at the hospital for $150 and that was it.

This time, I'm going to have a homebirth and it's going to cost about $3000.

Thank you Amber (Lovinmygirls) for my signature

My Blog ~ My Facebook Fan Page ~ My Twitter
September 16th, 2009, 05:32 PM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam
First, ignore your MIL. That's fraud and if they found out, they can and will charge you as such.

What state are you in and what insurance do you have? Most states declare that pregnancy cannot be deemed a pre-existing condition.

There are also some companies, like Blue Cross that offer maternity only policies.

As for cost? I had c/s both times.

Admitted Monday for induction, it failed, c/s Tuesday, discharged Friday......$17,000
Admitted Friday for c/s, spent Friday-Sunday in ICU, discharged Monday......$40,000 (I spent two days in ICU and got a transfusion)

Thank God I had insurance both times. I only paid $150 for admittance.

you just can't tell what might happen in the delivery room. Again, I don't know what state you're in, but I do know that Florida has two new health insurance programs that are lower cost for people that make too much for Medicaid, but not enough to really afford a private policy.

September 17th, 2009, 12:29 PM
AmandaR
The total cost (with a deep uninsured discount) was over $25,000 for a c section with DD.
September 27th, 2009, 06:52 PM
ChicaChels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Each midwife appt that did not have a blood draw or other procedure done was $200, with a procedure or blood draw add $25.00-$150.00
I went 1x a month until 28w, then 2x a month until 34w, then 1x a week until I was admitted for induction at 37w - had I kept going I would have been going 3x a week due to the severitity of my pre-e

One trip to L&D at 25w for lack of fetal movement - 5 hours there, only had fetal and BP monitoring and a urine dip for protein - $2,325.48

2 NST a week from 28w-37w - $100/each

Each ultrasound - $300.00 (I had two, one at 19w3d, and then a growth scan at 33w4d)

I had a vaginal birth, no epidural, no pain meds, but I was induced due to HELLP so I had

Cytotec - $40.00
Pitocin - $300.00
Magnesium - $110.00
Vancomyocin (I was GBS +) - $89.00
AROM - $28.00
Labor - $14,289.21
Constant Fetal Monitoring - $38.00
Internal Monitor - $29.00
Bloodwork (which is what caused me to be admitted) $100.00
Private LDR (Labor, delivery, recovery) room - $6,200
Room Service $ 500 (i ordered fruit and cheese tray 2x, a breakfast skillet and a bowl of frosted flakes and a banana for food...i also ordered total 10 glasses of apple juice, 14 glasses of milk, 6 glasses of grape juice, and a nutri grain bar, everything else i sent dh after takeout!)

Even though I had a LDR room I had to be transferred to post partum because L&D got too full, so
Post Partum room - $1500.00
NICU (Even though Brylie didn't GO to the NICU, they just monitored her from our room and came to eval her immediately at birth) - $4500.00
Nursery (even though the only time she was in the nursery DH was with her - she had to have the hearing test and a car seat trending done because she was having spells of apnea) - $870.00

Med/Surg supply (I had one stitch, no vacuum or forceps, no episotomy, etc) $199.86
Pharmacy (They give you stool softeners, motrin (which I didn't take) and then normal RX you take daily) $130.00

thats the break down from my experience! i was as detailed as I could be becaues I unfortunately had tons of interventions and a semi complicated pregnancy....I do know had I had an epidural those are like $800 or so

fortunately my insurance covers pregnancy/labor/delivery/post partum 100%

Maverick Jude
December 9, 2013
5:20PM 8lb3oz 20.5"
Hospital water birth

Last edited by ChicaChels; September 27th, 2009 at 07:13 PM.
January 24th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Veteran
With my insurance i have to pay a $500 deductible first. Then everything is covered at 80%. I work at the hospital so labs and stuff like that are covered at 90%.
This is my first pregnancy. My 1st apt was $275, no bloodwork just a preg test weight and history. My initial prenatal lab work (just bloodwork no pap/cultures) about 1350 before insurance coverage. I have a deposit i am paying for delivery just to my md, with my insurance covering 80% my cost is still 1200. Not including ultrasounds or nst or my deductable. I have had 3 other apts so far, and have yet to check what those cost me. The eob takes a while to update.

I the begining my progesterone was low so i needed medication that cost $600 for 4 weeks before insurance. After insurance i sill paid $300. Not included in deductible either.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search