parenting pet peeves?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To BTDT Moms Advice for New Moms LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 12th, 2009, 05:08 AM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam
what are yours?

I personally hate the phrase "boys will be boys" when a male child is fighting at school. I heard this coming from a parent of a three year old in my son's special needs class last year. Yeah, ummmmm, NO. You have the responsibility to teach your child what is socially acceptable, and throwing sand in my child's face is not acceptable.

October 12th, 2009, 01:12 PM
AmandaR
I hate when, just because you do something differently, you're automatically not as good a mother as the next lady and don't love your child as much. Like with breastfeeding, I don't think I love my DD any less because she was formula fed, but apparently I'm a terrible person for giving her "poison."
October 12th, 2009, 01:50 PM
WishingStar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I totally agree with the boys will be boys thing. I HATE that. Teach them.

Thank you Amber (Lovinmygirls) for my signature

My Blog ~ My Facebook Fan Page ~ My Twitter
October 12th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Snowpeas
I hate that just because we now have a boy and a girl we have the "perfect" family and we don't need to have anymore children. I resent that. If Josiah was a girl would that imply there would be something wrong or inadequate with her and that we would have to keep trying until we had a boy?
October 13th, 2009, 09:40 AM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Olivia+Josiah View Post
I hate that just because we now have a boy and a girl we have the "perfect" family and we don't need to have anymore children. I resent that. If Josiah was a girl would that imply there would be something wrong or inadequate with her and that we would have to keep trying until we had a boy?

oh a big fat ditto on this.....people expect we'll keep trying to have a girl, especially since dh is an only child and our boys are his parents only grandchildren.

October 17th, 2009, 07:45 PM
aussiemummy
How people judge you for doing things differently.
November 6th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Cyndee's Avatar Mommy to 3 tagalongs
Send a message via Yahoo to Cyndee
I hate when on to my 2 youngest and people give me this look like awww poor babies.. Umm My kids are gonna know right from wrong... They are not going to be ill mannered kids
November 13th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Veteran
I hate the "boys will boys" also. The same goes for the girls equivalent "She's just a little diva". The women that I know who are divas are selfish and kinda obnoxious . Why would you want your daughter to have those qualities.
November 14th, 2009, 09:49 AM
TheyGrowLikeWeeds's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to TheyGrowLikeWeeds
I get the "you got your hands full" comment all the time! That drives me insane!! I hear it every time I go out. I almost don't want to leave my home anymore so I can avoid that comment. I used to just say it myself so I didn't have to hear other people say it. I'd tell them, "WOO! I sure do have my hands full!!!" when I see they are about to say it themselves. They usually then just look at me with agreement or just say, "Yeah." But I'm not always in the mood to do that. It's just so annoying!

I love my Peanut M&Ms Cameron & Kiefer!!Eliza's Blog
November 16th, 2009, 06:18 PM
jennmommyoftwobeauties's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to jennmommyoftwobeauties Send a message via Yahoo to jennmommyoftwobeauties
I get tired of people who have no kids giving unsolicited advice. If you do not have a child how in the world would you know how to do things? Also, I hate people that act as if their kid does not ever do wrong and are angels, and if you yell or tell your child no in public you get the evil eye.

There was a little girl yesterday that when my son was throwing a fit due to not wanting to go in the cart kept watching him. Her mama looked at her and said "Do not look at him. You were doing that at **** (whatever the store was that she had done it)" Made me feel a little bit better that someone else spoke out loud that their kid does that as well.
November 30th, 2009, 06:56 PM
MommyToTwo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommyToTwo Send a message via Yahoo to MommyToTwo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Olivia+Josiah View Post

Ditto to this too!

I HATE unsolicited parenting advice and when people say "Well you have your hands full..." I hear that all the time and sometimes it almost feels like people are implying that my kids seem too close together in age. Even from family, when I was pg with #2 they thought it was too soon. I know not everyone means it that way but still...

I also hate when people get into it with me about my decision to not vax/delay vax'ing. I respect other parents decisions even if they differ from my own. We all do what we think/feel is best for each of us...

February 7th, 2010, 12:46 AM
Brookem's Avatar Veteran
I'm still pregnant with #1 but I will say that so far I HATE it when people tell me they disagree with what I am doing when I don't ask. Example: "We're naming her Violet" (NOTE that I did not ask what the opinion on this name may be) and people tell me they do not like it... when I mention that we are using cloth diapers and immediately people tell me we "won't last" or "how difficult it is going to be". BUT I DIDN'T ASK YOUR OPINION! I won't even tell people about the diapers anymore. Why the negativity??

That's mine. So far
February 7th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I get the "You've got your hands full" comment all the time. Its soo annoying! Or, when people ask me if my 2 & 3 yr old are twins... Its easy to tell one is a year older than the other! Also, when I "disciplin" my child in public when he's throwing a tantrum, people look at me as if when I said "NO" I just beat him... or they look at me like I have no control over him...
February 11th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I hate it when parents discipline their children with "sing-song" techniques like "Now, ***** I know you didn't mean to hurt ***** when you hit him with that bat but we know we are supposed to love each other not hurt each other" or something like that. I see it all the time with my day care parents and it drives me crazy! I will tell them what their child has done during the day - bit, hit, pulled hair or whatever, and they will just look at their child and say, "buddy, you know we are not supposed to hit" and then hug them and say "come on let's go home". I hate that!
February 17th, 2010, 01:49 AM
3xCrazy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I dont like it when parents dont teach their kids manners. My children are 2 and 3 years old and they nearly always say please and thank you and sorry.

April 4th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Veteran
I know this is an old thread, but I can go on about this for ages.

The one thing I HATE hearing from other parents (and as a generalisation, its usually the ones whose kids arent teenagers yet) is comments about things they wouldnt let their daughter do that I let Ariadne and Rhie do. Theres this one mum at the younger kid's school who is the queen of it,
"Oh, I would NEVER let my daughter dye a blue streak in her hair" (in reference to seeing Ariadne with a blue streak in her hair)
"Oh I would never let my daughter wear black nailpolish"
"Oh, I would never let my little princess join a rock band"

I just feel like saying, "You know what? Get back to me when you have teenagers" when you put together all the things that they possibly could be doing, blue streaks, black nailpolish and playing guitar in a rock band really arent battles worth fighting.

Then I hate the parents who think their kids can do no wrong. Kids are humans, all humans stuff up, because were not perfect. We had an issue in Ashley's class recently over stolen pokemon cards, Ashley was in possession of one of the cards, as were a few other boys. Long story short, the story went that a child stole them off another, then sold them to the other boys for 20 cents each, but the boys knew that they were stolen. Ashley certianly was made to give back the card, and had his pokemon cards taken away for the rest of the school term because he knew that the cards were stolen, but bought one anyway. This one mother in the meeting the teacher organised sat there going "Well (child) wouldnt have done it if (so and so) hadnt had done it" "Well, that child wasnt actually involved" "Oh, well, he wouldnt have done it if (another child) hadnt had done it"

That may be true, but he still needs to be held accountable for his actions.

I also hate it when girls are reffered to and treated like princesses. Theyre not. There is no reason for a girl to be excused from sport class just because she's a girl, or gardening class (seriously, one mother suggested this at a parent info session, the school has a garden where the children learn how to grow and cook their own veggies, and one mother actually raised her hand and said "Oh, do they HAVE to? I dont think my little princess should be working with dirt, its just... dirty")

And one last thing (like I said, I can keep going, hahaha) I really hate it when people, especially those that know you WELL (for example, my mother) dont respect your wishes in regards to the way your children are raised. I dont like my kids being pushed into gender stereotypes. I dont like it when people buy my 3yr old girl is given make up as a present, I dont like it when my 6yr old boy is told that he cant have the cupcake with the strawberry icing because its "a girly cupcake" and I DEFINETLY dont like it when my 15yr old girl is told that she shouldnt do physics as one of her electives at school because "its a hard subject, leave it to the boys" (thanks for that quote mum)

April 5th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I can't stand it when people tell me that I have my hands so full with having a child with autism. I also hate it when I get the "woe is you the world just ended" look/attitude from other parents. My child is happy, my children are perfectly happy. I get told all the time that I must've done something vastly different and I must raise them differently because my eldest is super smart and my youngest has autism. Truthfully I wonder what in the world truthfully goes through people's minds sometimes.

I also can't stand whenever I do go out without my kids to say the grocery store or to run errands I get told "well you know you gave up your freedom when you had kids."

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search