Whats the worst advice anyone has given you?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To BTDT Moms Advice for New Moms LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2010, 11:41 AM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
This is for the BTDT moms and New moms!

I got many people's opinions when I got PG with my youngest son. My boys are 14 mths apart. I was told that it was the biggest mistake I could make, that I should let my oldest get out of the baby stage before having another one.

I love that my children are close together, they grew up together almost like twins and they love each other so much like BFFs.

Then ofcourse I was told not to let them watch TV, which is stupid. They have learned so much from tv! I think it all depends on what you let them watch. My boys love pbs and nick jr. They have many educational dvds, which they have learned alot of new things from.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
March 23rd, 2010, 12:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I do believe the worst advice I have been given so far is to never let gender roles go undefined by letting boys play with/wear girls things and girls play with/wear boys things.
March 24th, 2010, 05:24 PM
cera0701's Avatar Happy to be expecting #2
I agree with you on the TV thing. Mine has learned so much from pbs and elmo!!! His new thing now is Thomas!!!

Also not to hold my baby too much when he was a new born, b/c he would get use to it and always want to be held!! So I didn't and now I regert it b/c u never get that time back.

April 24th, 2010, 02:15 PM
*~ Joni ~*'s Avatar Jordana Jacoby & Jamason
"You're going to spoil her if you pick her up every time she cries! She's going to get dependent on you... Then later when you don't jump at every whimper she'll be very insecure" Not true. I got her every time she cried and now she is very independent and incredibly secure with the biggest, most outgoing personality ever
April 24th, 2010, 04:15 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Wow I was told so many times by my mom that you can't spoil an infant. I am thankful that she said that even though at the time it drove me nuts .
The worst advice I got was to try soymilk formula (it made my daughter scream more) and to throw away the little bit of milk I had been able to pump for her. Luckily I didn't throw it away I gave it to her bottle and all silly nurse.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

April 28th, 2010, 02:03 AM
MotherFrog's Avatar lost in la la land
Rice cereal is the best thing for baby at 3 months old. I DON'T THINK SO!! Made Travis so constipated. We'll be letting baby tell us when s/he wants more to eat.

May 4th, 2010, 07:56 AM
Regular
That I should let her cry it out so she would sleep in a crib. Yeah, she cried until she threw up and that's when I said forget it! I was also told that I shouldn't hold her too much, but fortunately I ignored that advice. I held her whenever I felt like it, and to heck with wat everyone else thought. She's 11 now, and definitely not spoiled.
May 4th, 2010, 11:37 PM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
I can't say its the worst since I would never even consider doing it but the stupidest thing I've heard is that I should trim my daughter's eyelashes.
mom of: Zach (10), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14
May 26th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Angelica81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Angelica81
To not breastfeed and feed my (then) newborn goat's milk. This was my MIL's advice.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
May 28th, 2010, 09:32 PM
MyDuckySam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MyDuckySam
"let him walk, he's a big boy"

bull!

he's got the rest of his life to walk, I'll carry him if he wants to be carried as long as he's light enough for me to do so.

Sam is a snuggly, affectionate child and I love every second I get to be close to him. (especially since my younger child, Henry, is NOT a snuggly child!)

May 29th, 2010, 09:30 AM
SSgt_Wifey_USMC
most of my worst advise comes from my mother(long back story), here's one of the gazillion she's given....

"never let him eat with his hands ever because then as he gets older thats all he's gonna know and won't know how to use the spoon."

"don't let him touch/know what money is because then he'll grow up greedy"
June 2nd, 2010, 05:38 AM
Amanda_Marie's Avatar Mommy to Owen
I'd have to say that the worst advice that I heard over and over was to "not hold your baby too much" totally disagree with that. Babies need the comfort of their mother/father, especially when they're newborns. I believe it helps them grow and develop.

And they grow so fast! before you know it, you can't hold them anymore because they're too heavy...or don't want to be held!

Thank you Tasha_Mae for my beautiful siggy!
June 2nd, 2010, 01:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay this one tops the cake for me-- If you allow your kid to get away with not talking by anticipating their needs or figuring things out then they'll never talk.

June 3rd, 2010, 05:23 PM
Orangebrittainy's Avatar Queen of Randomocity
For me it was the big push on giving him food because formula wasn't enough for him at 4 months.

Thank you *Kiliki* for once again doing such amazing work on a siggie
I can do all things through Christ which Strengtheneth me. (Phil 4:13)

June 21st, 2010, 12:56 PM
kerian's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
my worst was t toughen up my nipples for BF by brushing them daily with a toothbrush. EEEEK, can you imagine. thank goodness i didnt.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy

July 7th, 2010, 11:02 PM
LifenTheFastLane's Avatar Mommy 2 Rhys~Rhylee~Jessa
Mine was.. " wake baby up every 2-3 hours to eat..even if they are asleep" Ya I did this and was so sleep deprived and cried for weeks from being so tired.
Your baby WILL wake up when he/she is hungry. Trust me they will let you know. After I stopped waking DS up, he slept for 5-6hrs each night..ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!
July 9th, 2010, 09:49 PM
MommyToTwo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommyToTwo Send a message via Yahoo to MommyToTwo
These all make me laugh because some of them are just so ridiculous!

I also heard the "don't answer every time they cry or hold them too much" which I definitely did not listen to. The TV thing makes me crazy too. I think if they sit and watch Sponge bob constantly, yeah that might kill some brain cells. My kids are speaking spanish words and learning crazy stuff from the shows they watch. I don't let them watch it all the time but I'm not afraid to admit they DO watch TV!

September 26th, 2010, 09:35 PM
AprylLynn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
worse advice i was ever given was to not hold him all the time when he was a newborn. i was told that i "spoil" him and it would effect him in the long run. i was told this by a mom of 4. she also told me not to get him right away when he cries because he will no that is how he can get what he wants or to get someone attention.
honestly i want him to know that if he is upset ill be there.
i didnt listen to her at all. i think my son is doing fine.

Visit my blog:http://adventuresofamom.blog.com/
September 27th, 2010, 12:51 AM
The Lesha's Avatar Avada Kedavra
Send a message via Yahoo to The Lesha
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgt_Wifey_USMC View Post
most of my worst advise comes from my mother(long back story), here's one of the gazillion she's given....

"never let him eat with his hands ever because then as he gets older thats all he's gonna know and won't know how to use the spoon."

"don't let him touch/know what money is because then he'll grow up greedy"

Im sorry.. the money thing makes me giggle. Seriously?? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprylLynn View Post
worse advice i was ever given was to not hold him all the time when he was a newborn. i was told that i "spoil" him and it would effect him in the long run. i was told this by a mom of 4. she also told me not to get him right away when he cries because he will no that is how he can get what he wants or to get someone attention.
honestly i want him to know that if he is upset ill be there.
i didnt listen to her at all. i think my son is doing fine.
well duh... when they are newborn, the only way they can communicate is by crying and a mother, no matter whether its her first child or not, will go to a crying child. My children are 2 & 3 now and if I hear them cry, Im by their side, no matter if its cuz they are hurt or because they cant reach a toy they want. Its a mothers instinct, and I personally believe thats what you should rely on, not advice from others. Each child is differnt and needs differnt things. You do what you think is right, your mom and in my house,
Mom is super woman.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my gorgeous siggie!
October 23rd, 2010, 03:58 PM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
"I don't know why you don't just give her formula, it would be easier."

"You are so lucky you got to have a c-section." Got to? Yeah right.

"Oh you have thrush, guess you should stop breastfeeding."

"Oh you hvae mastitis, you should stop breastfeeding."

When someone stuck their head in the backseat of my car and scared the daylights out of my 9 month old daughter who was going through serious stranger anxiety anyway, I was told it was MY fault that she cried because she's around me too much. This was from someone who des daycare for a living.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search